Now that you mention it, I'm kinda surprised BYOND doesn't already have an auto-update. Seems like it would make a good addition.
How about an auto-update option?
We introduce a lot of bugs so generally I don't like to force updates until I'm confident things are well-tested. We're probably doing too much of this subversion stuff (the idea was really to bump the main version whenever there was a public change). Generally when something is considered stable, we'll bump the main version and release an update on the hub and then it's pretty clear to users what to do (and most update pretty quickly).
A good way to handle it would be to have the pager alert users of an update which they can then choose to download and install right there on the pager. You can have a checkbox in the settings (off by default) which allows users to grab beta versions.
Well, that's basically what the hub-update does. It makes it clear there is an update on the hub and clicking will install (it should be even more visible in 499 but of course you haven't seen it yet since we haven't released 500). We don't have anything for the subversion updates at this time, but, like I said, we're probably overdoing those anyway. I bet if we just posted each subversion update as "news" (to show up on the Feed) then it would be more obvious. But these are usually pretty minor releases.
I think the sub updates are really good, they make BYOND look like it's constantly being updated and some people really need those small bug fixes which would otherwise just sit there dormant until a big update.

I'm not so sure about updates showing up in the regular feed as in my head I've already associated it with forum posts and community stuff. It would be more appropriate with a large indicator on the home tab which is mostly empty at the moment.
I'm not sure if this is new, but I noticed that you can change the background colors on the pager.

http://imgur.com/X6dGdbt

Perhaps pager skins could be a thing for members. E.g Let them create and share pager skins that represent their favorite games.
In response to Atomic1fire
Atomic1fire wrote:
I'm not sure if this is new, but I noticed that you can change the background colors on the pager. Perhaps pager skins could be a thing for members. E.g Let them create and share pager skins that represent their favorite games.

I suggested this during private beta, and it was kind of possible by editing certain stuff.

Just a random question, is there going to be support for those of us who can't connect to the hub via the pager?
what?????????????
Obviously we are trying to ensure that everyone can use the pager, particularly if it works in previous versions. It's just a matter of figuring out where it is going wrong.
eyyyyyyyyyy macarina!!!!!!!!!
i just started up my BYOND and now its telling me i cant even send messages to ANY of my friends unless im a member whats the deal here? before on old pager i could message those that had added me, now i cant message anyone? >.>
Make sure you download the latest. I also suggest removing the file called cfg/byond.txt. You may be connecting to a different version of the hub.

In this new setup, even non-members can page anyone.
I've downloaded the latest version and so far am enjoying it without issues, loving the new compiler on its own thread!

I suppose I have to outright thank you and your team for finally getting your heads on straight, Tom.

I've added my game to the Hub and I hope that byond can return to its former glory that so many of us old-school Byonders knew it as, way back when (early 00's).

Thanks Again, My game is shaping up really well and I hope that the community likes it ~ Its been a decade in the making (mainly due to me having to learn all the parts on my own and never finding a programmer) but it is finally here; the wait is finally almost over and with that I suggest checking out my hub!

http://www.byond.com/games/AERProductions/Pondera

Back to work for me...

P.S. If I ever have some extra cash I'll send some your way for all of your efforts to even out the playing field and I will do my best to make my game profitable for you and your team as well. When we work together, good things happen.
Oh, I guess that explains why my pager wasn't working properly again.
Page: 1 2 3 4