In response to The Magic Man
You doubt the legitimacy of my flying car?
People don't make good games in byond cause they don't want to put up with it, and if it ever got really popular and they wanted to expand byond is to weak for one of those 1000+ type of servers.dont get me wrong great games could be made but people are about money and progress. All you need is to have a cult base of users and supporters that is all your looking for or should be. You all need to get byond being some super popular language out of your heads, I like byond cause its unique and mine. Keep it that way aslong as it gets then financial support its needs and regular purposeful updates.
Thanks everyone for the support (and special thanks to Teka123 for his OVER 9000 in donations, amazing!) We're doing what we can to improve the software, but what the poster above said is correct-- it isn't for everyone and was never intended as such.

For those of you who can't contribute directly, please consider promoting BYOND or its games as best you can on social networks. Our traffic has dwindled some (not exactly clear why) and that is unfortunate since it does directly affect our finances as well as the appeal of the community. Thanks!
Could of said my name but ill take it :)
I don't think this is something the BYOND Staff would need to implement, as anyone could easily set up a Kickstarter/IndieGoGo/Patreon/etc campaign for their game.
I'm not even sure how the BYOND staff could set up a crowd-funding system for a game, either...
BYOND doesn't really offer enough, in my opinion, to be worth crowdfunded games.. But that's just me.
Considering a number of RPGMaker games have been crowdfunded... I don't think it's about what the software offers, but more about what the developer puts into it.
There's always Kickstarter if you feel the project is well enough to be considered a commercial title. People will throw their money at anything there.
I just came back to BYOND and started working on a game after being gone for years. I started out as a kid that didn't know a loop from an if. Now I have a Computer Science degree. I owe you guys for my interest in programming, so I made a donation :)
BYOND has recently had a really small amount of people on it, in the 6 years I have known about this website, I've never seen online people under 3,000, I know its 2AM EST, but even then I would still see at least 3,200-3,600 people on. Probably due to school starting recently, everyone is busy with other things, hopefully everything picks up again.
A2J2TIWARI wrote:
I recently came to know about a game developing engine(not going to name it) that actually pays developers for publishing their games through that site.

This is a pretty common thing among gaming portals like Kongregate and Newgrounds. They'll pay a premium if you keep your game exclusive to their site.

A2J2TIWARI wrote:
But you might ask, how will it get quality games? Here's my answer:
1. BYOND can set a basic standard for games and if the games do not follow those standards, they will not be published. BYOND Moderators can do that, or even let the members(those who pay for memberships?) do voting. And each and every published game's developer gets some money for publishing his game with BYOND.

We've more or less had review systems in the past for publishing games (though there wasn't a money incentive) and it absolutely doesn't work for several paragraphs-worth of reasons. To put it generously, most BYOND games are not very good and most definitely not worth a sponsorship in the form of money being thrown at them.

A2J2TIWARI wrote:
2. Based on the above point, BYOND can set a Rating System. BYOND mods/members can rate a game on the scale of 1-10, and based on it's rating, developer gets money. For example, a game can be judged on GamePlay- 6, Graphics-2, Sounds - 2, making it a 10. Developer A submits his/her game, and after reviewing he gets only 7 rating. And for the rating, he gets $35, i.e. 7Ratingx $5. So if the developer tries to make the best game, he is probably to earn 10 Rating * $5 = $50. Just an example, money could be more.

I'm pretty skeptical about any kind of rating system being implemented, especially around here. With money involved people would be gaming the system so badly it wouldn't even be funny.

Even then, judging games by a numerical metric is a pretty arbitrary thing and doesn't translate well to actual quality (this is a problem at large with gaming reviews as a whole, really).
I'm curious how much money the ads pull in, or at least how many unique users are seeing them. I personally leave mine on, but some members might not, and some non-members might just throw up a ad-blocker.

byond what the [imagination] are you doing

[img]http://gyazo.com/b50d0b337eac47d427e0ff502144beb4.png[/ img]

you're DEAD to me
http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1281113

It was only opened up last June, and I assume closed up for version 500. By closing it up, it was restored to the same behaviour it's had for many years. Non-BYOND members should be able to send pages to anyone who has fanned them or has had a recent conversation with them.

If that's not the case, I suggest you raise a bug report.

Realistically, though, dead to you? Like ... you're here for BYOND's kinda but not so IM client, not the games?
In response to SergeantSkread
SergeantSkread wrote:
byond what the [imagination] are you doing

[img]http://gyazo.com/b50d0b337eac47d427e0ff502144beb4.png[/ img]

you're DEAD to me

Pages should be open to all so this is a bug. Please post a report to start a discussion so we can get context.
In response to SergeantSkread
I'm looking into this. I can tell you for sure that we have not re-closed the pager in 500.

Currently, the pager checks with the hub to see what the current policy is, should we decide to make changes in the future. We have some options already pre-programmed that can be changed on the fly, which is a nice change from our past methods of doing things. This also means the pager can anticipate whether you can send a message or not.

Just as an early guess, it seems to me that the policy check failed or hub contact was not properly made for some reason, and as a result the pager reverted to a default policy. If this is the case, changing the default in the next release should prevent this from happening. The hub will still choose whether or not a message goes through of course.

Also, just to let you know: our forums don't use BBcode, only HTML.
I don't see why you'd give people money for making games for no reason at all.. Considering BYOND is asking for money, rather than throwing it at people.

But I agree with the standards part, setting up a small team of trustworthy people that have the time to go through all the games that are being requested for publication should have certain standards.

In response to Laser50
Laser50 wrote:
But I agree with the standards part, setting up a small team of trustworthy people that have the time to go through all the games that are being requested for publication should have certain standards.

We tried this and it was just awful. Aside from making BYOND look dead, I'm more than certain that Tom got an earful when we didn't list game [x] and fangame [y]. The current tagging policy is just easier for everyone; the moderators, the developers, and definitely Tom.
What if on top of current system you could tag certain games as "sponsored" by BYOND and all this does is list them in a special section or gives them a special symbol?
Page: 1 2 3 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 34 35 36