Stray Games

by Falacy
Because BYOND.
ID:1287109

Falcon lazorz wrote:
http://www.byond.com/fundraising

Don't fund those greedy noob scumbags. They refuse to support their community or developers (most of the time, they go out of their way to maliciously attack us), remove features that people pay for, have the most incompetent/abusive staff and admins in existence, ban us for giving feedback, refuse to properly adjust their pricing, and then expect us to throw money at them for nothing? They won't be seeing a single dime from me once this game releases on Steam, unless they completely change the way they operate.

EDIT: Not to mention they are making thousands of dollars more than any of the game developers here (most of whom make nothing), those game developers being the only reason BYOND makes any money in the first place, and then they have the nerve to QQ about not making enough money to fill their own pockets? You think anyone would be willing to release a game on Steam, or under a publisher like EA or Activision, if those services didn't pay anything back to the game developers that actually earn the money for them?
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
EDIT: Not to mention they are making thousands of dollars more than any of the game developers here (most of whom make nothing), those game developers being the only reason BYOND makes any money in the first place, and then they have the nerve to QQ about not making enough money to fill their own pockets?

What game developers?

In response to Falcon lazorz
Falcon lazorz wrote:
What game developers?

Anyone who has ever released anything on BYOND? 99.9% of the people who make games for BYOND have never made a penny from it (which, contrary to Tom's claims, he has most likely made at least 1 penny from every single person who has ever used BYOND in any meaningful way, due to the ads and/or indirect memberships). The small portion of devs that do make money, never made anywhere near $5k a month, aside from maybe that first month NEStalgia had a massive rush of players from external advertising - which quickly died off.

I'd be surprised if every money making game on BYOND combined was making $5k a month. I think Tom said in the recent forum posts that their cut from BYOND's official subscription system is less than $1k a month, considering they steal like 20%, that means every game combined is only making like $5k tops, yet Tom, for some reason, thinks they need more than all of that combined to support just themselves, without even putting anything back into the products that make them the money to begin with?

Not to mention, most money BYOND makes from ads is due to people browsing developer's games, and now even more-so that they play an ad every time you try to connect to a game. Which, while offering free hubs, ads could have been considered payment for free advertising, but for the last several years you've had to pay for hubs. Playing an ad anytime players try to connect to a game is just a complete scam, since BYOND provides practically no infrastructure to support those games, their developers, or the servers being connected to.

On top of that, I would assume vast majority of BYOND memberships, at this point, are sold because of in-game benefits, in whatever game(s) may interest that member, since the actual memberships no longer offer any benefits whatsoever through BYOND itself.

Myself, along with several other community members, have explained to Tom many times over the years how he could easily and legitimately make money through the BYOND aspect of the BYOND software, instead of leeching off of developers. I don't think he has attempted to implement even a single one of the features that have unanimously been thrown in his face for years now, and seems to be moving the exact opposite direction as usual.