ID:1292849

Not a bug
BYOND Version:499
Operating System:Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 21.0
Applies to:Dream Maker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
I am generating icons with thousands of icon states, and then I am saving them for use in the rsc.

After generating these icons, I tend to open them in Dream Maker to make sure that I used the correct generation parameters and that the outcome is as I intended.

However, opening these icons no longer shows all of the icon states in Dream Maker. This makes it difficult to debug the generator I am using, and it makes it difficult to verify that I am using the correct parameters.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Generate an icon containing several thousand icon states (6561 states in my case)
2. Open the icon in Dream Maker

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
Not applicable

Expected Results:
The Dream Maker freezes while loading all icon states, and then displays all of them correctly.

Actual Results:
The Dream Maker opens the icon without any hiccups but will not display all icon states.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Every time
In other games?
Not applicable
In other user accounts?
Yes
On other computers?
Not tested

When does the problem NOT occur?
When using an older version of BYOND

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

BYOND version 498 did not have this problem.

Workarounds:
None are known for the latest version of BYOND
Yeah, as noted in one of the builds, I changed it so that it only loads the first 512 because it seemed to be useless as an editing program (and took a long time) otherwise. Actually one should never edit these icons because it will save them with 512 states too.

I can revert it back though.
Tom resolved issue (Not a bug)
If we revert back, we will have to deal with really long compile times... If you have an icon with more than 512 icon_states, you're probably creating those states with code so you sorta have to compromise and lose the editor accessibility...

In the case of a lighting library that has icon_states in the numbers of 4096 or more, this makes it possible to compile. Otherwise, its really not feasible to compile at all, making things like a lighting engine in BYOND impossible to support and debug.

This change came about because of how we are using icons in unique ways, ways Tom never thought would occur. This is the compromise to keep cool things like lighting possible in BYOND. So to be clear, let's leave it like this as a much appreciated change, Tom!
I can revert it without the long compiles. I just figured there wasn't much point loading so many states into the icon editor either (since it takes forever).