Whaat, so even when your not on the Z layer its still there? That is super wierd! That makes me feel like when I finish my game im gonna end up having to keep turning areas on and off to prevent lag >.<.

Please consider what TheMagicMan is saying!
In response to PkMax
PkMax wrote:
Whaat, so even when your not on the Z layer its still there? That is super wierd! That makes me feel like when I finish my game im gonna end up having to keep turning areas on and off to prevent lag >.<.

Yes, the Z layer is there regardless of who's on it. The software can't predict what it's going to need access to and what it's not.

This will not, however, create any lag. The only penalty is that the map has to be loaded into memory and then it stays there. It will have no impact on your players if they're not on it, since they'll never be sent info about those turfs.

Please consider what TheMagicMan is saying!

Only loading a few pieces of a single .dmm at runtime is probably impractical; setting up a system where multiple smaller maps can be loaded and unloaded as needed by the world (it would have to handle the logic for when to do so on its own) is much more practical.
In response to Kaiochao
I've had my fingers crossed for the "mobius-strip" maps for years...
I have been playing around with world generation and world saving / loading in general; everything I come up with is too slow (even with chunk loading areas). Are we getting an update here (for maps) in 500?
Don't quote me on this, but someone from the Eternia team (SuperAntx maybe?) was working on a way to save and load chunks a few years back but never actually got around to doing it. Something about seamlessly switching between different servers and storing all the character information in a MySQL database. It was way beyond my level of expertise at the time, but I remember thinking it looked really interesting and I wished I could have seen it in action.
I did manage to get a chunk system that performs pretty well, you can demo it here: http://www.byond.com/games/FIREking/Massive
Page: 1 2