ID:1307067

There's no BYOND forum for this game, so I'm posting this here.

I knew this was one of those anime games which removed enough of it’s premise so that it no longer broke any laws. If I did not know what it used to be, or recognize the name though I would not be able to tell what the game was about from it’s hub- it’s tagline is “Do you have what it takes to achieve the Final Resurrection?”; I don’t know what that is or why I would want to achieve it.

The lengthy descriptions on the hub MAKE IT VERY CLEAR THAT THIS IS BASED OFF THE GAME “FINAL RESURRECTION” AND THAT IT IS JUST AS GOOD AND BETTER. It repeats this in the FAQ later in-game.

Question 2:
Is this a fan game? No.
This game is inspired by an old BYOND game known as Final Resurrection. Final Resurrection was loosely based off a well known anime, and that means there is some similarities between that anime and this game, but that is as far as it goes. The game is not based off any anime.

I entered this game because you cannot knock things until you try them, (saving that slogan for the day I get caught with a dead hooker in my trunk and high on black tar heroine).

The creation screen is a series of alerts reminiscent of those annoying surveys with an unknown number of pages, at first I thought “there’s no information for these races” but no fret, the game provides you with another alert for that! This makes me miss the HERE IS EVERYTHING NOW PICK approach in most anime game creation screens, featuring every single hair style, skin color, penis size, eye color , or race in game.

Oddly enough, instead of finding a happy medium in terms of how much information is provided to the player at once, they jump to the other spectrum and give as little as possible, at least visually.

Any way I took after the title screen I was staring at for the past 30 seconds, and name my self MoonMoon, the something I-don’t-remember-that-sounds-like-fake-Japanese cyborg who does Jujitsu. I tried to walk and realized there’s no WASD movement, so I wrist-painfully strolled about for a while clicking NPCs to no avail, and then I remembered what this was, and right click them and selected the talk option.

I walked up to some ghetto part of town, which looked exactly the same, I say ghetto because as soon I walked down the street some guys attacked me- finally!, I want to - wait how do you fight? I tried clicking them, and I looked up and down the guide quickly, noticed it was well written but mostly stats and tables. I just walked away and the hoodlums furious rage settled and I looked at the menu, not seeing any controls option.

I did find this however:

Addicts :
1st Dark Sponge (Darksponge911) 33 days, 4 hrs, 23mins
2nd AnAwesomeMouse (Lord LuBui) 28 days, 20 hrs, 53mins
3rd Cydric (Lets go speed racer) 25 days, 15 hrs, 19mins
4th Prophet Misuke (Crowmen) 23 days, 0 hrs, 35mins
5th Matt (Popo7776) 22 days, 12 hrs, 8mins
6th Tsubasa (EgocentricMimic) 20 days, 1 hrs, 39mins
7th Akira (The ss4) 17 days, 22 hrs, 3mins
8th Meltza (Turboskill) 17 days, 19 hrs, 0mins
9th Crimson (Toddab503) 16 days, 20 hrs, 22mins
10th Zamm (Union_Head) 16 days, 4 hrs, 43mins

That’s some cold and depressing shit I thought to myself, as I right clicked a punching bag to begin training and did nothing else to continue it. Oh- so basically the mechanics encourage just going AFK, how engaging and rewarding, exactly like real life work-outs and training.

Finally, it dawned to look at that FAQ as “how do I punch in this based-on-an-anime-based-game-about- fighting game?” seemed like a valid question.

Question 3:
What are the controls? This game does not use very many preset controls because it allows you to set up your own controls as you see fit. To do so simply look at the top left of your screen, click File, then click Options & Messages,then click Client, and then finally click Macros... The key is the button you want,and the command is what you want it to control. For example, to macro punch to P you would enter P as the key,and then type in "punch" without the " marks as the command. The only preset controls are TAB, which can be used to lock-on, and to cycle through nearby targettable mobs, and the arrow keys that are normally used for movement.
If you would like to change the controls for your movement please check out this forum post that was written by a helpful player: http://www.frredemption.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=43

What. I hit options in the menu, and pull up the macro list to find out what the controls are for this game. Oh, there isn’t any, at all. A few moments of disbelief later, I close the game.

Using the built in macro system AND leaving it blank "for players to set up their own preferred controls" is doing customizable-controls wrong.

The overall feel of the game is “meh”. Training seems extremely boring, so boring in fact the game allows you to just minimize and do actually fun stuff - BUT then you “get tired” and have to come back - basically turning what you’ll be doing 75% of the game into a shitty version tamagotchi. I didn’t actually fight because I can’t be assed to set controls but I assume it’s the same old same old.

I don’t recommend this. 3/10 Twerks.

Being able to play as a cyborg or a demon seems pretty cool. Perhaps they could add a cyberdemon race?

I have no idea what most of those other races are.
I didn't really feel special being a cyborg the only difference between me and another race was slight stat difference. I was expecting being able to do robotic upgrades or something cool.

I never touched this game before- just always saw it at the very top of BYOND's listing.
Jittai thanks to you i have decided to change how my game functions i will add Click() instead of verb.
Skip to the TL:DR if need be.

I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience with the game. Given that I designed it, I figured it would make sense for me to respond to this; so here it is.

The character creation is very plain, and could be done a heck of a lot better; there's no denying that. I hate it too, and I've been meaning to update it, but it is one of those things that I fell behind on when I was focusing on a lot of other systems and ideas. I admit that wasn't the best idea on my part, but it is something I've learned from, and I was hoping people could look past that because it is at least simple, and quick.

WASD is a toggle-able feature that has been broken for far too long. I really need to fix it. I apologize for that. There were some serious bugs and issues I had to iron out first, and I really can't give any excuse for it; it's just one of those things I shouldn't of let go wrong to begin with.

I guess I've been around BYOND for too long, because a lot of the controls and such seemed very predictable to me. Don't get me wrong, though; they could and should be a lot better. I struggled a lot with this because I had a pre-existing community from the original FR pushing me in one direction, the new and improved things in BYOND pushing me in another, and lack of experience ultimately made me cave in and go with the simpler and quicker option that the old community favored; tabs and such.

I don't honestly see how the addicts list has anything to do with this review, but I'll leave it at that. As for the punching bag, maybe I am wrong, but I could of sworn the FAQ had something that would let you know this is not an encouraged method of training. It is something you can do when you're too busy to actively play for a very trivial, or specific gain; to actually get far in the game you need to actually go out and fight things, visit the mines, trade with players, participate in events with players, do some (although basic) questing, and such. It's very active, and the AI is actually smarter than most of the ones I, myself, have seen on BYOND. Turn based games, of course, excluded; that's very different.

Gym training is boring for me, too, but there was a fan base for FR that inspired this project, pushed for it, and wanted things like this. I felt that leaving it in, but making sure it would be inferior to actively playing the game would be a fair compromise.

FR was honestly the first game I really got into on BYOND, and the same can be said for many of the older fans who support FR:R. They had, or would have left BYOND without this game, and both they and I would of lost something we grew very attached to if I did not make FR:R.

TL:DR

Basically, this was my first game, and like most people I made a lot of mistakes. I made this for an existing community I became a big part of, and for anyone else who might enjoy it. I don't expect every one to like, or enjoy it; I know it's not for everyone.

All I ask is that people keep that in mind, and don't hold it against me, the game, or its community. I did, however, do some things right, and I am happy to of at least finished and released this game.

I'll only do better from now on with future projects, hopefully much better, so if you like this then great, if you don't then just forget about it and find something else or wait until I make something better.
Thank you for the reply. Good luck with future work and updates.
In response to Jittai
You're welcome. Thanks. I've learned a lot, so I hope to do a lot better from now on.
Game still a Zeta rip.
In response to King_LiOnZ
I don't know if you're serious or not, but since you're like the third person to say something like this I'm going to list 10 things the game has below that I think prove that is simply not true at all. They are off the top of my head, so they may not be the best ones.

1: 25 fps with custom, diagonal supporting movement.
2: AI that moves around objects, away from edges, etc.
3: Carefully balanced races, gains, quests, and more.
4: Mining System & Crafting with success/fail/drop rates.
5: Numerous Events and Activities
6: Modifiable Guild Houses
7: Turn-able Beams, and Beam Struggles.
8: Minimap, and Area based Music.
9: Item Stacking, and Player Market.
10: Numerous Player skills ranging from blasts, to beams, to AoE -like blasts, and even to some Support and Passive ones.

While most of the above is not super difficult to add, and can be seen in some other games; I do not even want to imagine how difficult it would be to actually get it working in zeta. I haven't really looked at zeta in years, but it is so poorly written that I'm certain it would need to be almost completely rewritten to support most of that, and honestly why would anyone bother? It is easier to make a game from scratch than to try to rewrite that mess.

Calling a game a rip is extremely insulting to it and its designer, and calling one a zeta rip is probably the biggest insult you can possibly throw at a game and its developer/designer.

So, I understand the game is far from the best, and I can even understand the anime jokes and comments, but please refrain from calling something I poured over a year into designing from scratch a rip, or especially a Zeta rip.

I don't know if it's the poorly done character creation, which can easily be designed by looking at the BYOND reference, or the similar animation style that I foolishly used when making the first base icon several, several months ago but whatever makes you think things like that is miss-guiding you.

I appreciate reviews and constructive criticism, but while that comment may or may not have been serious I felt I needed to address it for anyone who may misunderstand things. This turned into a somewhat lengthy response, so thanks to anyone who takes the time to read it; including the person I'm responding to.
That title screen looks like it was stolen off of some outcasts wolf shirt.
Multiple shots have just been fired.
So from what Jittai said, there's nothing good about the game? Seems like you just had a horrible experience from the start and decided to nitpick every little problem with the game. That's kind of a douche move to pull, especially when reviewing someones game and posting it on the forum for everyone to see. Puttin' him on BLAST!

Wow man, I don't even know what to say anymore, I'm so mad.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep making reviews, 10/10 would read again. Good job.

Hostile down.
I don't see how any of what I said is nitpicking, if that comment was directed to me. Half the features I expected were admittedly broken, as said by the author- the presentation was ok, the guide was well written and thorough. The icons were ok, nothing stood out as superbly well done or cut-my-own-eyes-out ugly.

I had to stop playing because the game did something extremely counter-intuitive and I did not see a point of continuing. My reviews are the initial reaction, not an in-depth analysis of beginning to end-since most games on BYOND are MMO-RPG-WOWClones and have no legitimate end.

But you liked the review so I'm confused why you were upset. (Unless your anger was directed only at yutput, but by contex it was not.)
/shrug
Nah, I was joking xD.

But seriously, shouldn't it be a 0/10 if you didn't like anything or is it an automatic 3/10 since it's a playable game?

Well unless you guys are right and it's a rip then it deserves a 0/10.
I judge things pretty critically I guess, an average game would be 5-7. A well polished average game would be 8-10. This is, for all intensive purposes an average game, even by byond's standards, doesn't do anything new or special, but there's a lot of things wrong or broken.

But then again, the numbering system was more of a joke based on my last review,
which YUT PUT TOTALLY CODED sort of !!!!!1!!!
I'm sorry, but last I heard rippers didn't even have programming abilities. Seriously. Why is it so hard for people to believe I am not a ripper? It's really not that much to ask for. I personally said so myself that most of those things are not very difficult to add. My point was that they're difficult to add into a rip without causing the game to run very, very, very poorly.

I did not use walk_to, and as far as I know it would not handle the full range of what I meant there. I don't feel like arguing the fact, or explaining it further though. I've never seen turn-able beams in a rip, and don't know of them existing in many games. That's beside the point, though. The point is that this is ridiculous. By this logic my game is a zeta rip, or at least a rip, just because other people, who I don't even know, have used some similar features and/or said similar. Just because some people are good at lying doesn't mean you should throw the honest developers in front of a bus.

I put over a frickin year of my life into this game. I busted my ass adding nearly everything on my own, and then kept doing so while enduring six months of private testing. I get that some developers do a heck of a lot better than this a whole heck of a lot faster, but I didn't have any experience, and I had to learn as I made this. So, no, I didn't rip anything. I credited anything I could think of that I used, and made anything that I did not credit. Ah, but I guess every one who rips says that too, so it must be a lie right?

All I really have left to say to people is this. Stop. Think for a moment, and consider this; what if I were telling the truth? How do you think someone who actually busts their ass feels when all of their hard work is reduced to ripping? Ripping takes minutes, maybe hours, and very little effort. Making things from scratch like I did took months, and a whole heck of a lot of effort.

You may think this kind of thing is good for chasing away rippers, or getting them on the right path, but it's a really good way to chase away the few good and honest people you throw in with them too. I'm glad I'm stubborn, or this would of probably destroyed a lot of my motivation to work.

Not everyone is, though, so keep that in mind the next time you want to call something a rip even after someone tries to maturely, and calmly explain that it isn't. This goes for everyone. Not just Yut Put. My points weren't the best, sure, and this post does not carry the best tone, but it is the least you can expect from an adult who is tired of having his work compared to and reduced to the likes of a pile of junk that some roughly 13 year old put together so that they could act big.

I'm not some immature kid who just wanted to be GM, so I don't rip, and I don't just shut everything down without any kind of explanation. I tried to politely explain my side of things, and even that wasn't enough, so this will be my last post on this topic; at least in regard to the rip and zeta rip comments. You can all believe what you want, but if you really think I'm a ripper after all of this; then I am far more disappointed in this community than I have ever been before.