ID:13124

There's this new thing called the "mosquito" sonic deterrent device. It uses sound waves only kids are supposed to be able to hear to keep them from loitering and causing trouble and to inflict pain for no reason,etc.

So I was wondering who here could hear it...

Listen to this one first:
http://blog.orgday.org/2006/05/25/teen-buzz/

And here is the direct download from that site:
http://static.orgday.org/orgday/Teen%20Buzz.mp3

Edit:copy and paste the second into windows media player...then try...I couldn't hear when I clicked...i dunno weird
Edit2: Heh...apparently I could only hear it in WMP because I had the equalizer on..if i adjsut it a little it poofs...heh

I couldn't hear the first one, however it made me (and the author) feel uncomfortable. However I could hear the second perfectly. So much so that I wonder if something was wrong, because I couldn't imagine how you could miss that..ouch..

So yeh..have fun kids...
I could hear it - a high-pitched ringing.

It hurts my ears, but that's about it.
I don't even want to listen to 'em. I HATE shit like that, agh. my mom has this stupid little thing that emits a high pitched sort of thing that i can hear from my room when I want to leave the window open (i'm on the second floor, and it's on the front doorstep). says it's to keep the woodchucks away.

sod that, keep the woodchucks, i don't want to hear that terrible noise, ugh.
I heard it, it hurts my ears and makes my whole body like get irritated, very annoying.
I think I can hear it... not sure. Doesn't cause any kind of discomfort. My speakers are getting pretty crappy, probably on their way to dying. Also my hearing has always just sucked. =P
That is just a louder version of this noice I seem to hear 24/7 a high pitched ringing. I obviously have damaged ears if I hear this all the time. =\
I can hear both clearly, and I'm 29. The first is difficult to pick up, but it's definitely audible. Then again, I'm the only one in my house who can hear the TV is on if the cable box was turned off by mistake.

For feelings of vague discomfort though, you can't beat infrasonics.
Owww That sound makes my ears feel like they are bleeding.
We just need to outlaw kids.
I hear it but it is not hurting my ears.

->Calus CoRPS<-
I remember hearing about that one on the news. I think it's supposed to be made specifically to bother teenagers-- or, at least, it was at the time of that news broadcast.
I imagine it works-- my seven year old brother and forty-ish year old mom were in the room while that broadcast was on, and the noise didn't bother them.
I don't know if it's that bad in MP3 form. I guess I'll listen to it later.
My ears and eyes hurt...and I get a headache.
Argh. I hate noises like that. It's the same sound that some TV's make (people think I'm crazy when I say I can hear that though. :/).
Then again, I'm the only one in my house who can hear the TV is on if the cable box was turned off by mistake.

I can hear this as well, but the rest of my family can't.
That is interesting. I could hear both very clearly, but then I have always been able to hear TVs(especially when muted) and the like.

That is interesting, because most people could not hear the TV noise, even those my age and younger. I used to bother teachers about leaving their TVs on in the class because it would constantly bother me while reading or whatever.

The noise doesn't really bother me all that much. It is light enough that it doesn't interfere with normal sound and I can easily ignore it, pushing it into the background noise of the office. TVs, on the other hand, really bother me. My 13" is really bad. I don't like to mute it at all, because that sound penetrates even my sound dampening headphones.
I've been testing it around my household. I've come to the following conclusions:
- My grandmother (age 52) can not hear a thing.

- My dogs act normal around it, not making a single suggestion that they hear it.

- Birds act absolutely crazy. They start flapping their wings and stuff, making notions that they hear it.

- My cousin (age 19) hears it, but not as loudly as I do.

It seems some things or animals can hear the frequencies more or less than others. Maybe it's influenced by the ammount of sound a person is exposed to? Then again, I expose myself to a lot of loud music, which should dull my hearing.
I can hear it.