In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
I'm not even joking, metal in general is my preferred medium for programming. Basically anything that's meant to pump you up against some kind of challenge or foe works for driving me to work harder. Dragonforce is kind of a no-no though, and Dream Theater tends to result in me lost in the guitar too much, and being distracted. Otherwise though, it's all gravy, as they say in the UK.

I have lived in the UK for 19, almost 20 years.

I have spent time in all areas of the place.

From the north, to the far south.

I have lived here my entire life (Although I've spent long periods outside the UK too).

Only once have I ever heard someone say "it's all gravy" (Outside of Austin Powers), and it was in Sweden.
Well you obviously never were schooled in Warwickshire.
It really depends. I usually play some chillout or lounge music.
The soundtracks for FTL and Frozen Synapse are excellent for focusing and concentration. A link in case you're curious about what I mean.

For those rare moments when I don't feel like vidyer game music, I will try the following artists: Sunlounger, Enigma, Late Night Alumni, Samantha James, and a couple others.
I try to stay away from stuff that's too upbeat, because then I get distracted and restless more easily.
In response to Rushnut
Rushnut wrote:
Just to clarify, the joke is that commonly on Streams when a song is playing and someone asks what song it is (Because there's almost always an indication to the song somewhere anyway), everyone simply replies with "Sandstorm- Darude".

I think we're the only ones that know the joke. =(
In response to Rushnut
I know, I was "Lol"ing to Jittai's comment.
Skyrim theme song is also nice
I've never really been the type to need/want background noise/music when I'm doing something else. So I program in silence (for the most part; sometimes the TV will be on or whatever)
http://www.rainymood.com/ is my guilty pleasure
Metallica, Pantera, Megadeth, Slayer

Anything heavy, gets me focused and being productive :)
with
music hell yea
I usually tend to not listen to anything when I program, mainly because I don't think to turn anything on. That, or I listen to my game's music.

If I'm working on a very retro game, like my game Bit for instance, I find that listening to catchy chiptunes really gets me in the mood to make the game. If I listen to something that would be out of place with the current game, it tends to turn me off from working on it a little bit.

Also, I enjoy testing my games with full music and sound. For that reason alone I think I usually turn my music off since it would be annoying constantly turning it on and off for testing.
I listen to classical music, or variations thereof. I find that most music has a quality of distracting me, unless it's something without words, or something like trance.
That being said I listen to A LOT of Blackmill, Glitch Mob, Lindsey Stirling and Ronald Jenkees.

On days when I feel like I can't get my juices flowing, about 5-10 mins into turning on the music I get a lot accomplished.
HOW DO I YOUTUBE LINK TELL ME YOUR SECRETS
In response to Rushnut
youtube:video_id
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
Usually heavy metal, if I want to get serious.
This. If not metal, then some sort of upbeat techno or trance. I find anything else just luls me to sleep/causes me to get bored.
I usually listen to Two Steps From Hell, anything without vocals is my preference. Ever been programming whilst listening to a song, then unintentionally started typing the lyrics?
In response to Danny Roe
Danny Roe wrote:
Ever been programming whilst listening to a song, then unintentionally started typing the lyrics?

I do this when I'm thinking about something. I have an attention disorder or something where my mind will just wander off for like 30 seconds and then go back to what I'm doing, so I can be programming then think about rabid ducklings, and I'll type "rabid ducklings" when I was supposed to be writing code and then have to backspace and type what I really meant.
In response to Danny Roe
Danny Roe wrote:
anything without vocals is my preference.

This. I cannot program to music with vocals. It's just way too distracting.
I almost always have music playing. Without music, I'm just like, "bleh," and usually get less done.
Page: 1 2 3