In response to Solomn Architect
The only real problem with fangames is that they're a nuisance to deal with. You have to track down who ripped what and blah blah blah. You never have that problem with non-fangames (or at least to my knowledge) because it's generally immature people making fangames who don't want to TRY to make games.

If you remove fangames from the listing, you solve a lot of headache on both sides. People won't make fangames if they know that they can't be listed, and Admins won't have to worry about tracking down who ripped what. Not to mention the obvious legality issue going away.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
The only real problem with fangames is that they're a nuisance to deal with.

They really are.

First of all, you have to have knowledge of the legitimate fan games out there. If you do not, then it'll be impossible to tell if Fan Game B is a rip of Fan Game C or a continuation of Fan Game A. It blows my mind!

Which brings up the next point: a transfer in ownership. So many of these game owners quit, give out their code to a select few, and then return. It's impossible to figure out who is telling the truth.

Don't forget games using other non-BYOND game graphics. The rule states that all games using graphics without the permission of the author should be rejected. Yet, it seems like this only applies to non-fangames.

For the longest time I have avoided touching fan games in the slush pile. Lately, I have tried helping out and I utterly regret it. I do not have much knowledge of the current legitimate fan games out there. There is so much transferring of ownership, liars, rips, and so on. It just isn't worth dealing with.
In response to Calus CoRPS
Calus CoRPS wrote:
Lugia319 wrote:
The only real problem with fangames is that they're a nuisance to deal with.

They really are.

First of all, you have to have knowledge of the legitimate fan games out there. If you do not, then it'll be impossible to tell if Fan Game B is a rip of Fan Game C or a continuation of Fan Game A. It blows my mind!

Which brings up the next point: a transfer in ownership. So many of these game owners quit, give out their code to a select few, and then return. It's impossible to figure out who is telling the truth.

Don't forget games using other non-BYOND game graphics. The rule states that all games using graphics without the permission of the author should be rejected. Yet, it seems like this only applies to non-fangames.

For the longest time I have avoided touching fan games in the slush pile. Lately, I have tried helping out and I utterly regret it. I do not have much knowledge of the current legitimate fan games out there. There is so much transferring of ownership, liars, rips, and so on. It just isn't worth dealing with.

If there were minimum quality standards for being listed on the hub, almost all of these games would be thrown out for lack of quality. It'd take three seconds to make the call instead of going through everything you described.
In response to Forum_account
I highly believe that ALL Games on BYOND need to be sorted by quality. If a game seems incomplete or seems like a generic version of any other game in that genre, it shouldn't be listed. That includes Cookie Cutter RPG's. This would promote quality work and make games on BYOND more entertaining and addicting.
I would just like to state for the record that each of you who went on to type a lengthy reply debating the legality of fan games on the BYOND Hub should take a look in the mirror and be ashamed of yourselves.

This whole debate can be summed up with just one question: Who cares?

Obviously it's not the IP holders, since they're not filing DMCA complaints en-masse. (And even if they were, BYOND would give no contest.)

The only people who care about whether or not fan games are listed (front page or behind the scenes) are you guys. And it's starting to get tiresome watching the same debate over and over.

Tom ought to be doing something else rather than arguing with a bunch of whiny know-it-alls about technicalities about whether or not to list fan games on a platform that isn't even widely known yet (hint: such as making the bug/feature tracker a part of every BYOND Hub!), and the rest of you should be working on developing games and trying to make this community a better place instead of picking fights.

And one last thing: If you want to sort all BYOND games by quality then you're going to have a longer debate about the order in which games should be ranked. Technically speaking Space Station 13 is the most popular game on BYOND, but you don't hear many members of this community giving it a lot of praise anymore.

The most important factors to consider here is that Tom & Lummox JR need to spend time developing BYOND instead of arguing about pointless trivia like this (while ignoring some stuff like easy-to-implement features that may of have been added and tested in the time needed to post their collective responses!) and that the developers of this community need to produce quality games.

It has to start somewhere, and this place isn't going to magically reinvent itself with the removal of fan games.
In response to JBoer
I think the main problem people have with fangames being listed is consistency.

Some fangames get to be listed because they don't use content from BYOND games, but they do use content from games such as Dragonball Z: Legacy of Goku. This is a violation of the listing guidelines.

There is also the case of tracking rips (a very prominent feature of fangames). It's a real hassle on the listing admin's part to figure out who ripped what or who sold what to who and why their game is still up. An easy solution is to just wipe fangames from the listing. That's not to say that they can't be made, just that they can't be listed.

Personally, I don't see why listing is such a big deal, but if you take a look at the slushpile, look at how many games are being rejected for ripped content. Why is that number so high? Because BYOND is not remaining a community of developers. It's becoming a community of maybe 100 developers (Probably being generous) and OVER NINE THOUSAND people who just want to copy someone else's game and stick their name on it. And I believe THAT is the issue that is being addressed.

It's hard to attract serious game developers when your site is full of little kid fangames.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
I think the main problem people have with fangames being listed is consistency.

I don't think so, and I will now elaborate on this.

Some fangames get to be listed because they don't use content from BYOND games, but they do use content from games such as Dragonball Z: Legacy of Goku. This is a violation of the listing guidelines.

This is not a problem with consistency, but rather a game using materials from a proprietary game outside of BYOND which would definitely violate someone's copyright.

There is also the case of tracking rips (a very prominent feature of fangames). It's a real hassle on the listing admin's part to figure out who ripped what or who sold what to who and why their game is still up. An easy solution is to just wipe fangames from the listing. That's not to say that they can't be made, just that they can't be listed.

Wiping fan games from the listing is a no-no since that's just another step in the wrong direction. Managing which hub entries get listed and which ones don't is nice, but that feature should be taken in moderation.

I think that while there should be a few guidelines towards getting a game featured and rules set in place for listed games to prevent obvious copyright issues (such as taking artwork from proprietary games developed outside of BYOND) there is no need to police everything.

But as you can see, an attempt is made to do just that and it results in pointless debates such as this. Even if you'd open up the hub entries again and allow everything except for what I mentioned above to be listed nothing bad ought to happen. People might whine but they're already doing that now, and it's much more consistent if you don't discourage developers from making a fan game.

In fact, I think the overabundance of rips on the hub entry might convince people to develop good games to try to banish them, which would be more preferable than these debates.

Personally, I don't see why listing is such a big deal, but if you take a look at the slushpile, look at how many games are being rejected for ripped content. Why is that number so high? Because BYOND is not remaining a community of developers. It's becoming a community of maybe 100 developers (Probably being generous) and OVER NINE THOUSAND people who just want to copy someone else's game and stick their name on it. And I believe THAT is the issue that is being addressed.

This is not a community filled with developers. This is a community filled with elitist brats who think they're better than others because their code is somehow "better". This is a community filled with newbies who use other people's work because they don't know how to make something by themselves (and nobody is going to really help them since the oldbies want to force them to adhere to their standards of writing code so badly it's scaring people off).

The reason this community sucks so badly is not because of the hordes of people ripping games; it's because of the people that enable them to do so through inactivity, laziness and acting like tossers.

It's hard to attract serious game developers when your site is full of little kid fangames.

YouTube likely has a whole bunch of video's on it made by kids acting stupid (I wouldn't know as I don't frequent it myself), but AFAIK it's still being used for serious business.

The fact that BYOND is polluted with these copies of copies isn't the problem; the underlying problem to all of this is the lack of people willing to develop their own games, and the lack of progress BYOND has had before Lummox JR started picking up the pieces.

At least the people who are ripping games have a game and may be bringing in more people. IMHO you can't say that for most of the gurus here -- even the ones that do have a game don't have one which has a large player base.

In fact, the only developer who fits the profile of having a large fan base without having developed either a fan game or a copy of another game is Exadv1, and he has since left the community. We can only guess why he left, but I'm sure it has had something to do with the behavior of those around him.

In summary, what we need is this:
  • Developers producing new games with BYOND, which can be used to showcase the usefulness of BYOND to potential members.
  • Tom and Lummox JR to continue developing BYOND, and hopefully getting some of these silly "paper cut" issues resolved.
If either one of the above fails then I believe BYOND won't survive. It will continue to exist for a while but without an influx of new games promoting new developers and a robust system also promoting new developers eventually all that's going to be left are the "little games for fun" you can actually see right now.

And now that I have written such a lengthy post I shall look in the mirror myself and let everyone around me hear an audible sigh.
In response to JBoer
JBoer wrote:

Wiping fan games from the listing is a no-no since that's just another step in the wrong direction. Managing which hub entries get listed and which ones don't is nice, but that feature should be taken in moderation.

By removing fangames from the listing completely, that wipes out 99.999999% of the ripping, because I have only seen one game (Cowed RP or something) have an ambiguous status for being a rip

But as you can see, an attempt is made to do just that and it results in pointless debates such as this. Even if you'd open up the hub entries again and allow everything except for what I mentioned above to be listed nothing bad ought to happen. People might whine but they're already doing that now, and it's much more consistent if you don't discourage developers from making a fan game.

I dare you to find a feedback for a rejected/incomplete non-fangame (except for that Cowed game I mentioned earlier) with a huge debate on how their game should be listed. Clearly the people not making fangames are either wussies and not willing to defend their game's legitimacy, or they accept the issues with their game and continue to work on it to make it better.

In fact, I think the overabundance of rips on the hub entry might convince people to develop good games to try to banish them, which would be more preferable than these debates.

I can either copy Joe's test and get a 98 or take it myself and get a 20. You're saying people will choose the 20 over the 98 right there.

The crowd flocking to these rips are the exact type of people who would continue the cycle and rip. Again, remove all fangames and the issue goes away.

This is not a community filled with developers. This is a community filled with elitist brats who think they're better than others because their code is somehow "better". This is a community filled with newbies who use other people's work because they don't know how to make something by themselves (and nobody is going to really help them since the oldbies want to force them to adhere to their standards of writing code so badly it's scaring people off).

Now you have to ask the question, which came first? The elitist brats or the honest developers? Considering LummoxJr and Tom are running the show, my guess is honest developers, but I could be wrong.

The reason this community sucks so badly is not because of the hordes of people ripping games; it's because of the people that enable them to do so through inactivity, laziness and acting like tossers.

Then how about you show people how it's done? 9 years, yet you have contributed... what to BYOND?

The rips aren't the only reason, but they are a major factor.

YouTube likely has a whole bunch of video's on it made by kids acting stupid (I wouldn't know as I don't frequent it myself), but AFAIK it's still being used for serious business.

[Citation needed]

The fact that BYOND is polluted with these copies of copies isn't the problem; the underlying problem to all of this is the lack of people willing to develop their own games, and the lack of progress BYOND has had before Lummox JR started picking up the pieces.

At least the people who are ripping games have a game and may be bringing in more people. IMHO you can't say that for most of the gurus here -- even the ones that do have a game don't have one which has a large player base.

It's better to have one honest game over one thousand rips (And since rips mean that they're all the same game, it comes down to one honest game vs. one rip).

In summary, what we need is this:
  • Developers producing new games with BYOND, which can be used to showcase the usefulness of BYOND to potential members.
  • Tom and Lummox JR to continue developing BYOND, and hopefully getting some of these silly "paper cut" issues resolved.
If either one of the above fails then I believe BYOND won't survive. It will continue to exist for a while but without an influx of new games promoting new developers and a robust system also promoting new developers eventually all that's going to be left are the "little games for fun" you can actually see right now.

I assume these fangames you're defending bring in developers (not rippers)?
In response to JBoer
JBoer wrote:
the rest of you should be working on developing games and trying to make this community a better place instead of picking fights.

Not listing fan games would make the community a better place. Not only would it increase the quality of the average listed BYOND game, it'd free up a lot of people's time. The BYOND staff devotes a lot of time to problems caused by fan games and rips. Many changes to the site have been made to try to balance how fan games and original games get shown. People also spend time reviewing games to determine which ones aren't rips and should be listed.

The amount of time spent debating this issue is much less than the time spent dealing with this issue. If this discussion stopped, the staff's increased free time would be measured in minutes per month. If the site's support for fan games stopped, their free time would increase by much, much more.
In response to Forum_account
Forum_account wrote:
JBoer wrote:
the rest of you should be working on developing games and trying to make this community a better place instead of picking fights.

Not listing fan games would make the community a better place.

Negative. I suggest you go read my post if you want to find out why not.

Not only would it increase the quality of the average listed BYOND game, it'd free up a lot of people's time.

You don't have to devote your time on the problem, but you do it anyway.

The BYOND staff devotes a lot of time to problems caused by fan games and rips.

Unfortunately yes. If they'd of have spent just as much time making their software more robust then perhaps more people would be using it right now. I can't even use my mouse wheel to scroll in one of the browser windows!

Many changes to the site have been made to try to balance how fan games and original games get shown.

The only ones who benefit are those select oldbies who now have less of a mess to shovel through in order to get to a game.

Sweeping it under the rug isn't going to eliminate the problem; you have to face it and deal with it or it will get worse.

People also spend time reviewing games to determine which ones aren't rips and should be listed.

Instead of spending time developing their own games.

News flash: Nobody really truly cares whether or not a game achieves 'listed' status, because if the game has enough merit people will find it whether it's listed on this website or not.

The amount of time spent debating this issue is much less than the time spent dealing with this issue. If this discussion stopped, the staff's increased free time would be measured in minutes per month. If the site's support for fan games stopped, their free time would increase by much, much more.

If these pointless discussions would stop and we'd go back to a more civilized age where one would respect another members' game instead of trying to sweep it under the rug because of a technicality, and if people were to accept this enough so they'd stop pestering them, then the BYOND Staff you mention will have much more free time.

The state of the hub is not an issue to me, and it's not going to matter much to someone new to BYOND either. The only people who have ever had an issue with the state of the hub have been the so-called "oldbie"/"guru" members of BYOND, and kids that are crying because the big bad meanie got their hands on their source-code.

My post here is a fair warning to all: If this community and the powers that be inside it continue to focus on this issue too much instead of doing more important things like developing games or BYOND itself then this will all of have been a tremendous waste of time for everyone involved.

Don't think I'm overreacting here. This is coming from someone who has already been here for 8 years and only took 2 weeks to be able to list several things wrong with this community and the software.

I'm hoping that you people will see reason here; there is no point arguing about any of this since there aren't even enough popular original games to populate the front page, let alone enough to warrant these kind of restrictions.
In response to JBoer
JBoer wrote:
Forum_account wrote:
Not listing fan games would make the community a better place.

Negative. I suggest you go read my post if you want to find out why not.

The staff has spent lots of time making changes to the website to better deal with fan games. If they never had to do that they'd have had a lot more time to devote to other things. In the future, I'm sure they'll spend more time dealing with fan games too. I'm not claiming this would fix all problems but it would absolutely improve the community if the staff had more time to devote to real improvements.

Sweeping it under the rug isn't going to eliminate the problem; you have to face it and deal with it or it will get worse.

I'm not sure what you mean there. What do you mean by "you have to face it and deal with it"? Deal with what? How do you deal with it?

I'm hoping that you people will see reason here; there is no point arguing about any of this since there aren't even enough popular original games to populate the front page, let alone enough to warrant these kind of restrictions.

Fan games aren't shown on the front page, so it's already populated with original games that meet these restrictions.
Page: 1 2 3