I only use 128 or so (Idk been extending it towards the dark side and removing the lights).

Edit: It's 128 + the 4 extra darks I added.
I don't see how using more colors makes this look worse if it's still kept to a common pallet.
It's not making it look worse, but creating a palette of limited colors helps. Considering most of these shades are pretty similar. It (Limiting your palettes) helps in keeping things organized, honestly, and helps you learn contrast.

I would look at that and get annoyed.
I pretty much go by, if you use a color that you cant see from the regular zoom, then it is not needed, so basically, if you have colors all close to each other in the RGB scale and you use them all it'll only look like on color from the regular zoom and/or size of the picture. There for just using one color keeps it more organized, and for contrast purposes as well. 128 colors is WAY too much for any art that is small, plus 95% of them you wouldn't even know are there. That's why it's important that if you're going to use a color, make sure its visible or it's meaningless to use. Contrast is very important as well too, pretty much for the same reasons i stated above.
Updated original post with this image:

Knight gave me a lot of trouble trying to get the pieces to look right with the right level of shine. Kind of still not satisfied with it.
Nice, the clothes look a lot better now, but I'd still mess with them a bit more on the bottom near the feet becuase you have shading that shows there are creases and fold, but no outline showing it. Love the new design of the staff by the way, its just a lot of banding on it, but it's alright. Another thing is you need more contrast in the beard.
Thanks, any tips on the knight other than the really bad loin clothe lol?
Big improvement on the Wizard. The cloth texture could still use more folds and ripples.
Knight looks good. Some of the shading on the armor could be improved. The shading doesn't look or feel round enough in many places on armor.
The knight is good, just the arms look a tad-bit short in length, and noticeable banding, but you're a beginner so don't worry about that. The brown cloth or whatever that is he has on needs some work.
Page: 1 2