ID:132320

I'm looking into providing a "template" for making Flash Client compatible games. I just realized that this is a bit of a challenge without having access to the 4.0 interface commands like winset.

My goal is to create a map only interface. No stat panels, no output panel, and etc.

Is that going to be possible with the Flash Client release or will we be forced to display the output panel?

Another concern I had was on the user login. Users by default would be logged in as guests so it would be on us to figure out an account system. Is anything being done to help us address that portion of things?

I'm thinking that it almost makes sense for BYOND to bake in some optional account management features.

ts
Tsfreaks wrote:

Another concern I had was on the user login. Users by default would be logged in as guests so it would be on us to figure out an account system. Is anything being done to help us address that portion of things?

I'm thinking that it almost makes sense for BYOND to bake in some optional account management features.

Wouldn't they have to be on the website in order to play the games? That gives them the option of logging in to their key.
In response to F0lak
I had the impression that the flash clients would be embedded into any page, not just on the BYOND site.
Tsfreaks wrote:
I'm looking into providing a "template" for making Flash Client compatible games. ... My goal is to create a map only interface. No stat panels, no output panel, and etc.

Considering how many games use statpanels and the message log (especially the message log), I wouldn't be surprised if the flash client supported BYOND's default interface.

If you want to create a map-only interface even though the flash client might support more, that's fine, but I'm not sure what the issue is.

The server can write user account data to files. It's not terribly different from any other data the server has to save, you're just saving a password, IP address, or computer ID with each player's data.
You know, it would be nice if we could get some specifications on the Flash client so we can program for it. Having some launch titles wouldn't be a bad idea.
In response to Forum_account
Forum_account wrote:
Tsfreaks wrote:
I'm looking into providing a "template" for making Flash Client compatible games. ... My goal is to create a map only interface. No stat panels, no output panel, and etc.

Considering how many games use statpanels and the message log (especially the message log), I wouldn't be surprised if the flash client supported BYOND's default interface.

If you want to create a map-only interface even though the flash client might support more, that's fine, but I'm not sure what the issue is.

Having the statpanels take up 33% of the screen real estate on a mobile device is the issue. The text output would be so small that it may not even be legible. Since there making tweaks, they might want to consider adding something like show_output_panel=0.

This is certainly a tough place to be in and perhaps the effort comes prematurely. I think the contest will have to push forward with full 3.5 support or drop the requirement all together. I was really hoping to push some projects in that direction.

The server can write user account data to files. It's not terribly different from any other data the server has to save, you're just saving a password, IP address, or computer ID with each player's data.

Will the flash client be able to get things like the computer ID and IP? I was thinking there would be some new restrictions forced on the client because it's being hosted in Flash.
In response to F0lak
F0lak wrote:
Tsfreaks wrote:

Wouldn't they have to be on the website in order to play the games? That gives them the option of logging in to their key.

Well, I thought the key was managed by the BYOND client software and not the web site. I'm not sure how that will work.
In response to Hiro the Dragon King
Hiro the Dragon King wrote:
You know, it would be nice if we could get some specifications on the Flash client so we can program for it. Having some launch titles wouldn't be a bad idea.

I had heard they were working with some already released games to kick-start the release. But I agree, even if it were released only to select individuals to work on a few showcase games that would be a great way to usher it in.
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
I had the impression that the flash clients would be embedded into any page, not just on the BYOND site.

I was under the same impression.

I wondered if BYOND could provide a Login widget that people can use for managing accounts. BYOND gets new users and we get a easy to use login system. This is how it might work.

0. Developer created a game and specified: Use_BYOND_Login = 1; in world New().
1. When the game starts up, the player is prompted to create an account or login. This interface pops up before anything else is loaded in the game and covers the full screen.
2. When submitted, account info is submitted to BYOND for processing and an email sent to the user.
3. The user validates and is optionally redirected back to the game page

The benefits for dev are obvious. We would eventually want customization and we wouldn't want to have our players derailed by BYOND spam (redirecting to game site instead of our game). We would have to figure out how to provide the login so its dev friendly and helps bring players to BYOND.

- Could be BYOND ads at startup for non-members.
- Could be no customizations for non-members.
- Could send out a monthly letter to all BYOND members who have not visited the site
- The unregister from this letter email can also take them to the BYOND game site where you have one last chance to snag them.

I just realized that there is one potential snag and that's people spoofing the login page. At first, I thought it wasn't an issue with the 3.5 interface limitations. However, they could create it using images and JavaScript. I was about to think this was an impossibility but then I remember seeing games which prompt you to login with your Facebook or Google profile so there must be a safe way.
In response to Hiro the Dragon King
Hiro the Dragon King wrote:

The last set of unofficial specifications we received from Tom was that it should be on par with 3.5.

In response to Tsfreaks
Tsfreaks wrote:
Having the statpanels take up 33% of the screen real estate on a mobile device is the issue. The text output would be so small that it may not even be legible.

BYOND games will have bigger problems on mobile devices. Keyboard input is not consistent (not all devices have tactile keyboards or the same keys) and you have limited mouse input (click, maybe mouse drag, but probably no mouse enter/exit).