ID:132369

So, again, I find myself pondering game designs based on BYOND hosted in Flash.

I know that we are talking about a hosted BYOND game (map) appearing inside a Flash Control. What I'm curious about is the possible sizes of the flash control. Typically we see something like 600x400 flash games and I've never understood why that is. Will we be able to do full screen or custom rect sizes?

ts
Tsfreaks wrote:
So, again, I find myself pondering game designs based on BYOND hosted in Flash.

I know that we are talking about a hosted BYOND game (map) appearing inside a Flash Control. What I'm curious about is the possible sizes of the flash control. Typically we see something like 600x400 flash games and I've never understood why that is. Will we be able to do full screen or custom rect sizes?

It is easier for us to inline the game within our site (or on outside sites, like Kongregate) if it is a fixed size. That's probably why game portals require this and why we may do the same thing. Probably we will require a special "flash skin" for your game that will be used when it is connected to in this fashion.

That said, in our current testing of this, we just have the flash window resizing to the browser.
Tsfreaks wrote:
Typically we see something like 600x400 flash games and I've never understood why that is.

It has been my experience that the frame rate drops exponentially in Flash as you increase the dimensions, even if it's just up-scaling the exact same stage area. As the aesthetics of many Flash games are built around a smooth frame rate, I would imagine authors have learned to do more with less as a result.

Then again, it may just be my five-year-old computer.