ID:132415

So I made a blog post about an hour ago. When I came back to the website, I noticed the following message: "This post is hidden from the front page: language"

I went back and reviewed my post, and the only curse word in my entire 5 paragraph post was a single use of the word "shit".

I think this is rather ridiculous. PG-13 movies don't bother to sensor it, it is permitted in primetime TV and family shows. The radio stations here in the states don't even bother to bleep the word.

I could see my post being removed if I was repetitively spamming the word, or dropping the F-bomb or similar language. But to remove it for a single use of a word that isn't even really considered by the media to be a curse word?

Are we in Kindy-garden or preschool here? Is that the sort of community BYOND is trying to foster?

Looks like it was automatically hidden by the filter for language in the blurb (which appears on the front-page). I'm not seeing that as-is; I'm assuming you edited it? I don't think it's reviewing that after-the-fact, which I'd consider a bug. At any rate, it is now shown.
It's still censored frequently. I don't get why people are so uptight about swears either, if enough people associate some 'bad meaning' with the word apple, do we censor that/punish people for using it?
In response to Moonlight Memento
Moonlight Memento wrote:
It's still censored frequently. I don't get why people are so uptight about swears either, if enough people associate some 'bad meaning' with the word apple, do we censor that/punish people for using it?

Ok, now you're just being stupid...
In response to Flame Sage
Really? Where am I being stupid? Or is it you flaming me as usual, you apple-eating mustang? Just so you know, I believe that to be a terrible, terrible offense, so I think world-wide, those two words (apple and mustang) should be offensive.
Moonlight Memento wrote:
Really? Where am I being stupid? Or is it you flaming me as usual, you apple-eating mustang? Just so you know, I believe that to be a terrible, terrible offense, so I think world-wide, those two words (apple and mustang) should be offensive.

So your intentionally violating BYOND Forum rules then? Smart move buddy, hope you get forum banned. :)
It's not a violation of anything (except perhaps our pride, mine for pretending to be sensitive, yours for being an apple-eating mustang). I still abide the rules, nor am I questioning/insulting them.

It's modern society as a whole that irritates me as far as swearing goes - they're just words. Ritz crackers? Oh, time to ban those, I take deep offense to it.
It's still a rule of BYOND, and they're not about to change it anytime soon.
Where did I criticize BYOND for it and say I wanted them to change it? Hardly a rule of BYOND if you wish to be technical, as rules are always visible. More common sense around these parts, as that's not visible.
Flame Sage wrote:
So your intentionally violating BYOND Forum rules then? Smart move buddy, hope you get forum banned. :)

I think that I am living proof that there is no such thing as forum banning.
In response to Exoduster
*me thinks you're Dark Wizard or Strai*
Who?
In response to Exoduster
Famous people to have been BYOND/forum banned a lot of times. Who are you that you'd be shocked you haven't been banned yet?
He was one of the ones who was supposed to be banned from forums forever. At any rate, he's right any word could be used as offencive, its the context of the word however, that counts, not the word itself, minus, f-bomb, n-imagine it yourself. The rest of them are just context, like Sh** is a bodily function, so technically you can use apple if you can use that. It's all in how you use the word.
Moonlight Memento wrote:
I don't get why people are so uptight about swears either, if enough people associate some 'bad meaning' with the word apple, do we censor that/punish people for using it?

I've asked myself that question several years ago when I found myself in the same situation. The answer is simple: because they degrade civilization.

Conversations will turn into flame wars (as this thread seems to be turning into) and instead of being happy, productive members in a community those that allow curse words to pass through their filters are likely to get a bad community with people who don't care much for each other.

The second motive for the rule is that BYOND is trying to look as professional as possible and this cannot be achieved by allowing curse words on their front pages.

A line has to be drawn. Apparently the automated filter was programmed to block that word so it did. Perhaps the filter is too strict, but it is most certainly a necessity.
In response to Thelavaking
I don't think I've ever seen that key banned, ever, in my 8 years here.
In response to Stephen001
He's only been around since '08 so how infamous he is I'm not sure. Around here pretty much everyone knows me for some reason or another.
I wouldn't say that's a good thing, given the posts of yours that i have read. That's all I'm gonna say.