In response to Warlord Fred
Now that you pointed it out, I don't really like tag clouds. I don't like how they present tags in such an unorganized way and rely on font size to emphasize the most use tags. It is always the first widget to go whenever I set up a new site on my WordPress network.

But like I said earlier too, I'll probably just adapt and go with whatever, so if that's what they want to use, I guess no big deal to me.

Oh yeah, and this thread is so big it is starting to remind me about dolphins. ;-)
In response to ACWraith
To be honest, I never even noticed that featured games are starred, even on the current site. Well, I don't really spend much time looking at games anyway.

Perhaps the new format and emphasis on featured games will encourage the guilds to be a bit more careful about what they feature though, which in my opinion is a very good thing.
In response to Zagreus
Zagreus wrote:
Now that you pointed it out, I don't really like tag clouds.

I think the one they have looks messy, they could just sort the tags by order of importance, instead of alphabetically sorting them and making important ones bigger. Though I did once see a website with a 3D animated tag cloud system, when moused over it would rotate the ball of text around. If nothing else, it was pretty neat.

Perhaps the new format and emphasis on featured games will encourage the guilds to be a bit more careful about what they feature though, which in my opinion is a very good thing.

Why would this effect guild efforts? Featured games already get a star, and they appear before anything else when searching - though the guilds don't even decide which games get featured, its just the top player favorited games from each guild. Pretty sure the guilds will be gone in the new rendition anyway.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
Well, the new system only accepts games from members and we have to approve them, so that should take care of the rip problem. When a member submits a game, we can reject it (scheduling for suppression), mark it incomplete (hiding from listings), approve it, or feature it. Featured games get listed first within each sort mode (so if you sort by date, it pulls the latest 20 and shows the featured games in that grouping first).

Does this mean that if you lose your membership status you'll be unable to edit your already made hub entries, or even have them publicly seen? And what about old hub entries?
In response to Axerob
Axerob wrote:
Does this mean that if you lose your membership status you'll be unable to edit your already made hub entries, or even have them publicly seen? And what about old hub entries?

Hopefully, they've taken into account everything that was discussed in that other topic.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
Hopefully, they've taken into account everything that was discussed in that other topic.

Oi buggart, your not accounting the Ex-members and real developers like me, who are still actively programming and creating games, and leaving out those who cannot afford to pay for something when they are either broke (mainly the 12 year old base, believe it or not their are some real programmers in there.) and those who need the money for something else. Yes the gift would work but then again how many people are even gifted anymore? If any of this is baligerant please tell me so, I understand where you are coming from, but some people just can't.
In response to Falacy
No it's not deleted Falacy however, you and they have a valueable point, and should be noted by it.
In response to Thelavaking
Thelavaking wrote:
Oi buggart, your not accounting the Ex-members and real developers like me, who are still actively programming and creating games

Ex-members wouldn't be effected much, unless they wanted to add a new game after their membership expired.
Most of your games look like rips, though there's no actual content on your hubs, so its hard to tell.
As we went over multiple times in that topic, if your game is good somebody will either be willing to pay a measly 20 dollars, or at least post it on their own account for you.
In response to Falacy
-cyber sighs- Like I said before, look how many people gift nowadays, and yeah I guess most games nowadays are rips because people are to lazy, but People like me would get a little annoyed at that. If something like that would happen Hyperthetically, due to me knowing it would probably not happen. There should be a group of people who have gone through a little Beta-Testing, and proven their game isn't ripped and who people know will constantly work on it. Like if that happened before my current game would be finished, the future branches off It I plan to have, their ideas would be ruined until I got the money and hosted my own domain and client. Not saying I'm lazy and that a client is that hard make.. But beside that, it would make sense. I guess in the end of this arguement I would be obliged to agree because I know of how many games as you say, are created one part of the day, and die the next part. And how many people would request this to the Staff and those. Also on another point, I do no know any member who was on my friends list who would acctually post my game on their account (Note I have been inactive from byond pager for half year now). But as I said before, I see your point.
Thelavaking wrote:
-cyber sighs- Like I said before, look how many people gift nowaday

Its actually pretty common, the recent benefactors list updates almost every day, and that's what it represents.
In response to Falacy
Here I thought the benefactor list was donations... Owell.. Nice debating with you.
Thelavaking wrote:
Here I thought the benefactor list was donations...

That too, but I doubt many people are giving straight donations.
In response to Falacy
Heh, some people still do, anyways, yea that post to do with how the comments dont work very well in this version of the forum, the other persons post is 3-5 posts above yours, and it is kinda true that byond could do better to update the forum format, however to please the older users to Byond, leave certain attributes that will help them remember or please them, and update it to a newer forum type.
In response to Tom
So if all the hubs are going to be going by a submission that the staff have to approve or whatever, what will happen to all the current hubs, are they automatically going to be approved? I mean there must be a lot of unused hubs that have no reason to be there.

If this has already been discussed I apologize. I didn't read the whole topic.
In response to Liam Howe
If your talking about what I said, it was hyperthetical, and as Falacy said, the current hubs would have nothing to fear, however if it comes down to it, the staff may manually go through the hubs. Because a Mass wipe is really out of the question, but then again that would be too much annoying work, so yea, they probably wouldn't do anything about the current hubs at all.
In response to Falacy
Why would this effect guild efforts? Featured games already get a star, and they appear before anything else when searching - though the guilds don't even decide which games get featured, its just the top player favorited games from each guild. Pretty sure the guilds will be gone in the new rendition anyway.

Considering I've made BYOND Strategy's standards accessible from the side of every blog post since the time I wrote them, that misinformation is rather disheartening. =(

The banner guilds will indeed be cut from the menu, but featured games have been decided by guild staff. They're at the top of popularity lists because being featured makes them a priority. Those who follow the guidelines (and make the reviewers aware) reap the rewards. Promoting games based on popularity is redundant.
In response to Axerob
Axerob wrote:

Hub entries can be made/edited by anyone. Only members can submit them for listing. Once a game is listed, it will stay there regardless of membership status. Old entries owned by anyone who ever was a member have been listed (unless they are rips, in which case they've been rejected).
In response to ACWraith
Just read that for the first time. +1 Yea from me.

I wish that all guilds had such fine standards, and adhered to them, for featured games. I'm going off topic though so lets end it at that.
I'm closing this thread as it has veered off into many tangents. If you have further questions on any of the subtopics, feel free to post them separately. Bottom line is that we are close to previewing a new site design that has both aesthetic and functional changes. The response has been good so far, but I expect that some people will dislike it. The main problem with making changes is that the people who like the status quo don't speak up as much as those who dislike it. That said, I do like the current site and feel this new iteration is an improvement, and I hope others feel the same.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5