ID:132758

As have been stated by the administration of BYOND, increasing the activity of BYOND's members on and around the web appearance through contests and polls would be appreciated.
The problem I see and encounter is lacking support and communication. Thus, I would like to see an official guild dedicated to ease the process of communication with BYOND's administration and gaining access to resources in a structured environment.

The official guild should contain guidelines and details on what sort of contests/polls BYOND would like to see (on a site-wide scale) and what criteria have to be meet in order to get what kind of support. There should be a forum to discuss and suggest your ideas, together with requesting the help/resources you need. The guild master(s) would require either the complete trust of the BYOND administration (I'd like to suggest Tiberath, Stephen001, Iain Peregrine,...) and thus get access to resources like announcing BYOND news and awarding rewards (such as memberships, money, ...), or decent means of interaction with the BYOND staff (to suggest the best proposals for review).

Thank you in advance for taking your time to consider the proposal.
Define this access to the selected few you mentioned?
Edit: If such guild is made I wish to be part of it.
In response to Kingstone99
I'm not sure that I understood your question.
What access and what selected few?

There should be a forum to discuss and suggest your ideas, together with requesting the help/resources you need. The guild master(s) would require either the complete trust of the BYOND administration (I'd like to suggest Tiberath, Stephen001, Iain Peregrine,...) and thus get access to resources like announcing BYOND news and awarding rewards (such as memberships, money, ...), or decent means of interaction with the BYOND staff (to suggest the best proposals for review).
Those selected few.
In response to Kingstone99
I am left clueless at what you're trying to refer to.
I hoped for a detailed elaboration on what you tried to express and not a quote of my own text.

Again. What access and which selected few?
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
I am left clueless at what you're trying to refer to.
I hoped for a detailed elaboration on what you tried to express and not a quote of my own text.

He quoted your text because he is talking about exactly what you mentioned there.

Again. What access and which selected few?

The access that the entire subject of your original post is entirely about and the selected few that are the entire subject people of your post.

You suggested having a group of people that entirely manages official activities such as contests, and you suggested the certain people would have the ability to give out awards as prizes for officially sponsored contests, and you even suggested specific people you thought would make good leaders of this group.

Kingstone99 wrote:
Define this access to the selected few you mentioned?

"Define": please elaborate further

"this access": As per your topic title, the "Official contact for realizing site-wide contests and polls."

"the selected few you mentioned": This part I'm not sure if he means "define the access that the specific contest-master people you mentioned would have to the Byond administration" or if he means "define the accessible awards that these contest-master people you mentioned would have access to give" or if it was a combination of both and/or something similar.

Basically, what exactly would these people actually do other than create an initial guideline document about what they will and won't do for a given contest and then say yea/nay to peoples posts - if there even is more of a responsibility than that at all, what kind of connection and one-on-one accessibility would they actually have to the administration, and what kind of super-powers would they have access to (such as crafting memberships out of thin air, putting up a trillion dollars from the Byond treasury, granting a perma-ban against your most hated enemy, having "+10 Ultimate Sword of the Most Powerful and SuperLeet Dantomness" hard coded into byond.exe so that you have it in all games on Byond, etc.) and any other special access/responsibilities that the group would have.

I don't see why the people in charge of this would have to have "the complete trust of the BYOND administration," at least, no more than anyone else allowed to act in Byond's name. I would hope that they would not have direct access to memberships, money or anything else important, but rather would haggle the sponsorship of a given event out, give a proposal to Tom which would include any gifting, and have Tom say okay. Then go back to Tom to execute the award-giving. That way, there is an official Byond contest-sponsorship avenue, but all Tom would ever have to do is read over a proposal then execute an award.
In response to Loduwijk
Loduwijk wrote:
"this access": As per your topic title, the "Official contact for realizing site-wide contests and polls."

So, access as in 'how to communicate with the guild masters', or access as in 'how the guild administration would communicate with the BYOND administration', or did I still not get it (I'm sorry, but I haven't encountered he use of access in such a relation before and the possible German translations aren't much helpful either in the given context)?
Or to express my pledge more properly, 'could you use a word other than access, or describe the sense of access in this relation to a non native English speaker'.

Loduwijk wrote:
This part I'm not sure if he means

See. I'm not sure either, which is when/why I'm asking ;)

Loduwijk wrote:
Basically, what exactly would these people actually do

That depends on the level of trust the BYOND administration would be comfortable with. As you have explained yourself, there is not much to be done, other than taking decisions and potentially providing constructive feedback. The follow-up action is either to handle everything related to the event, or to directly forward the good suggestions.

Loduwijk wrote:
what kind of connection and one-on-one accessibility would they actually have to the administration, and what kind of super-powers would they have access to

I suggested two possible scenarios with a varying level of trust. The first one would be granting these selected few direct means of communication, in which case they would obtain no special powers other than holding Tom's contact information. They would essentially serve as filter. The second possibility would see them as executive as well, where they would no longer communicate with Tom (other than to get constructive feedback and orders), but would deal with everything themselves. This includes having access to a special 'rewards' pool (e.g. 30 memberships, 250$, sponsored prizes, ... per x time) and the ability to trigger pager news and to set medals. Other special benefits like changing the CSS of parts of the web appearance, or granting special exceptions could be part of this, but aren't really required.

Loduwijk wrote:
I would hope that they would not have direct access to memberships, money or anything else important

Why not? If you have a limited pool or rewards to use at your disposal, it is a limited, calculable risk. Yes, it requires trust, but I think I mentioned that point and I am sure that there are members on BYOND that could handle this in a reasonable manner. The benefit of such an approach is the simple fact that you save a lot of time, both for the organisation of events and for Tom/Lummox JR to bother with other, more important subjects.

Loduwijk wrote:
but rather would haggle the sponsorship of a given event out, give a proposal to Tom which would include any gifting, and have Tom say okay.

This is the first option I mentioned.