ID:132813

Here are some things that might make things slightly easier

New folder option in dream maker and the ability to change positions of files so there out of abc order.

The ability to open a file in the tree as a dm file even though its not. As map files and interface files are plain text.

The last file that was opened is the default file type of the new option under file. In other words if I'm modifying code and hit new generally I would want a code file. If I'm modifying dmis I would probably want to make a new dmi file.

Another feature that would probably help out is when a map file is unreadable the compiler opens it up as text and points at all the errors so you can see whats going on.

Something I find that bugs me with the interface is when you make a control it makes itself a default size. It probably should be made so you can click the control, drag select an area, and it creates it to that areas size.
I also think the interface needs some off-stage place to work in, a set to window height option, and a set to window width option.

I would also like it if the .dme file listened to my changes. If I want to switch two includes around to remove a used before definition error it would be nice to easily switch them around.

It would be nice if CheckPassport and IsByondMember, didn't require them to be logged on. There are workarounds though.

A new proc that might be useful could be one that remove non-keyboard ASCII from text as a few byond procs cannot handle them.

An option to have the users key randomly assigned to them regardless of their actual key,computer, or any information in a way that lets people multi-client with ease.

The last thing I would like to see is for you to be able to see all the files in a library and modify them as if they were in your source code but in a separate file.
Chowder wrote:
Here are some things that might make things slightly easier

New folder option in dream maker and the ability to change positions of files so there out of abc order.

First one seems odd to me.
Second one has been suggested many times.

The ability to open a file in the tree as a dm file even though its not. As map files and interface files are plain text.

To what point and purpose? Not saying it is a bad idea, just don't see why.

The last file that was opened is the default file type of the new option under file. In other words if I'm modifying code and hit new generally I would want a code file. If I'm modifying dmis I would probably want to make a new dmi file.

Currently it is set to the last type you created being the default file type. Personally I find circumstances to be quite the opposite of what you're talking about. I'll usually be programming something then make a map to put it on, or be making an icon (bad stick figure icon...) and make a code file to put it in.

Another feature that would probably help out is when a map file is unreadable the compiler opens it up as text and points at all the errors so you can see whats going on.

Requires lots of work that would only be usable to a select few people. They'd have to write a parser that identifies errors and it really wouldn't help much.

Something I find that bugs me with the interface is when you make a control it makes itself a default size. It probably should be made so you can click the control, drag select an area, and it creates it to that areas size.

Meh.

I also think the interface needs some off-stage place to work in, a set to window height option, and a set to window width option.

Don't get the first part, and you can do the latter two using the buttons already available to you.

I would also like it if the .dme file listened to my changes. If I want to switch two includes around to remove a used before definition error it would be nice to easily switch them around.

I'm assuming you mean that BYOND reorganizes the .dme file when you compile... and meh. I've never modified that file personally so I have no input here.

It would be nice if CheckPassport and IsByondMember, didn't require them to be logged on. There are workarounds though.

What workarounds?

And out of curiosity, why would you want to do this?

A new proc that might be useful could be one that remove non-keyboard ASCII from text as a few byond procs cannot handle them.

Which procs? And does html_encode() solve the problem?

The last thing I would like to see is for you to be able to see all the files in a library and modify them as if they were in your source code but in a separate file.

I like this. I don't know how complicated it would be, but it is helpful for libs that include demo materials.
In response to AJX
AJX wrote:

He pretty much explained it in what you replied to. Maps and interfaces can be evaluated and modified in text format.

Currently it is set to the last type you created being the default file type. Personally I find circumstances to be quite the opposite of what you're talking about. I'll usually be programming something then make a map to put it on, or be making an icon (bad stick figure icon...) and make a code file to put it in.

For anyone who actually keeps their files sorted into relevant folders this would be incredibly helpful. I requested it an insanely long time ago, and was told it would be easy to implement, but they never did.

Requires lots of work that would only be usable to a select few people. They'd have to write a parser that identifies errors and it really wouldn't help much.

They already know when there's errors. Who knows how it currently knows, it may be pretty easy for them to do this.

As in every other program that can do things like this.

What workarounds?

Manually parsing the web-pages for relevant data?

To check a random key, or an offline player.

I like this. I don't know how complicated it would be, but it is helpful for libs that include demo materials.

Libraries are already listed in the project, if you double click one it will open it in its own DM for browsing.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
AJX wrote:

He pretty much explained it in what you replied to. Maps and interfaces can be evaluated and modified in text format.

I don't think you understand my question. To what point and purpose means WHY. Why would you WANT to do this. Not WHAT are you talking about, but WHY.

For anyone who actually keeps their files sorted into relevant folders this would be incredibly helpful. I requested it an insanely long time ago, and was told it would be easy to implement, but they never did.

What is your point here? Are you sure you replied to the right point with the right response?

They already know when there's errors. Who knows how it currently knows, it may be pretty easy for them to do this.

It may be, but it may not be. Doesn't change that it wouldn't help much because most people wouldn't have a use for it. I've never once had a corrupted map file, and I have no clue how exactly it would happen, but I figure it has something to do with operator error.

What workarounds?

Manually parsing the web-pages for relevant data?

I wouldn't call that a workaround but ok.

To check a random key, or an offline player.

Obviously. That answers WHAT not WHY.

Libraries are already listed in the project, if you double click one it will open it in its own DM for browsing.

Not editable from the project you're currently in, nor can you select which files will or wont be included from the lib.
In response to Falacy

I want this for the same reason you don't open every file in your project with notepad. I want a single place where I can modify everything.

Well your right it is a preference so maybe its behavior can be an option?

If the compilers flexible( and from people referring to it as a black box it probably isn't...) it wouldn't be very complicated.

It would be useful in a text format because using find/replace in cases where you move a lot of atoms into a different type it could take a while with the current method but be near instant with the find/replace function.

I'm fine with not having this feature if the open a file in the tree as a dm file thing is done.

Don't get the first part, and you can do the latter two using the buttons already available to you.

I just learned that if you set the size of width or height of a window to zero it becomes the size of the screen... My bad. The off-screen bit is for hidden browsers my workaround at the moment is giving it negative coordinates.

Which procs? And does html_encode() solve the problem?
No html_encode() does not solve the problem although very cleverly using cKey comes close to solving the problem but its to limited. As for things that are plagued by this are input and outputting one of these characters can produce line breaks,Corrupt characters and other things that I probably haven't found yet. Fastest solution i found so far is using cKey on the text removing all the valid characters that cKey removes and comparing lengths. It would be better to have a built in proc to remove special ASCII codes.

Accessing an offline players information is important to me. There are a few things I could use this for but the easiest use to describe is in the event you only want subscribed/byond members to be able to host in dream daemon without requiring them to login every time the server reboots.
In response to AJX
I just remembered why I dislike that pending map errors thing...
When it pops up it won't let you look at your code files to see what the correct type is and if you have a lot of type changes its really annoying, You can't minimize it, Its always on top, and it wont remember a few changes its ether you fix it all or fix none of it. That's why I want it to be more like code because where this thing can't if it displayed in code form it can.

As for your other arguments see my other post.