ID:132862

Yo. I've been wondering if you could add possibility to play mp3 songs in games... cause i can't instantly spam my playerz with need to convert music >:O
Due to licensing issues the MP3 format is not supported by BYOND at this time.
FiveUSSJ wrote:
Yo. I've been wondering if you could add possibility to play mp3 songs in games... cause i can't instantly spam my playerz with need to convert music >:O

So you want mp3 functionality so that you can "instantly spam your playerz" with 3+mb mp3s?
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
FiveUSSJ wrote:

So you want mp3 functionality so that you can "instantly spam your playerz" with 3+mb mp3s?

Thats exactly what i ment, Falacy. >:D
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:

Will it ever be possible?
In response to FiveUSSJ
FiveUSSJ wrote:
Thats exactly what i ment, Falacy. >:D

Bant <.<

When they pay the fee, buts its over $9,000! (I don't really know how much it is =P)
You can find programs on that internet that will convert .mp3 files to something like .ogg (which BYOND does support) that are only a bit larger.
In response to Skyspark
Pish posh. Just make a system that links them to a youtube video of the song you want them to hear, that'll make things easier on everybody.
In response to Nadrew
I've heard that some people are still able to play them by renaming the file to change the extension.

eg. changing 'test.mp3' to 'test.wav'
In response to Metamorphman
Metamorphman wrote:
I've heard that some people are still able to play them by renaming the file to change the extension.

eg. changing 'test.mp3' to 'test.wav'

Yeah, not unless MP3 was <s>made</s> encoded wrong.
If your really determined :o
mob
verb
Play()
var/File="Some.mp3"//Any music type compatible with their browser works.
usr << browse_rsc(file(File))
usr<<browse("<embed src=\"[File]\" autostart=\"true\" loop=\"true\" width=\"0\" height=\"0\"> </embed>")

Then just make the default browser invisible in the interface.
In response to Chowder
Take THAT mp3 licensing!
In response to Spunky_Girl
In response to Inuyashaisbest
Then as long as its not a feature you gain by getting a byond membership or subscribing its legal?
In response to Chowder
Just a note, since I didn't really read the thread:
You can stream music from winamp, and output it entirely to a browser, and make players do it that way.
In response to DivineTraveller
Yeah.. o.o
My code above is streaming it threw the browser.
In response to Chowder
Thx that works =o
In response to FiveUSSJ
FiveUSSJ wrote:
Nadrew wrote:

When the patent ends, then yeah, I'm not too sure but I think the patent is going to finish soon.