ID:133026

Title basically says it all but I don't know why there isn't BYOND support for a Mac. BYOND could bring in twice as many visitors with Mac support. For about 1 and a half months I have been running BYOND through Dual boot with poor results. First I tried using TinyXP, oh boy was that fast. I upgraded to Vista because TinyXP had no sound. Then, everyone knows all the problems Vista has so I switched over to Windows 7 and right now, I have the best results with this dual boot than any other but I can't even handle 5 CPU on my own game without it lagging.

I just wanna know why hasn't BYOND been made to support Macs yet? They are probably(well in my opinion) have the most advanced operating systems that you can run. I would probably be able to run at least 60CPU on my project like nothing on my OS X Leopard.

Come on, please bring BYOND support on Macs.
This is probably near impossible, considering that Lummox and Tom are always afraid of digging into BYOND's VM. Besides, it wouldn't improve the amount of users that much, Macs don't make up much of the market.
Forerunnerz wrote:
I just wanna know why hasn't BYOND been made to support Macs yet?

If you wanna know, then how about using the forum search? Besides, this was discussed and your question probably answered in a topic you made yourself about BYOND & Macs...
In response to Jeff8500
Jeff8500 wrote:
This is probably near impossible, considering that Lummox and Tom are always afraid of digging into BYOND's VM. Besides, it wouldn't improve the amount of users that much, Macs don't make up much of the market.

Ugh, you sure about that?

Macs are becoming extremely popular nowadays.
In response to Kaioken
Kaioken wrote:
Forerunnerz wrote:
I just wanna know why hasn't BYOND been made to support Macs yet?

If you wanna know, then how about using the forum search? Besides, this was discussed and your question probably answered in a topic you made yourself about BYOND & Macs...

The other thread was old and was a question asking how I get BYOND installed on a Mac. I just checked through it and it doesn't have an answer to why it can't be done.
In response to Jeff8500
Jeff8500 wrote:
This is probably near impossible, considering that Lummox and Tom are always afraid of digging into BYOND's VM.

Forerunnerz wrote:
Come on, please bring BYOND support on Macs.

Am I missing something? Seriously? I'm confused as all hell.
In response to Hiro the Dragon King
That's solely for hosting.
Hiro the Dragon King wrote:

Jeff8500 wrote:

That's a text-only version. You can play on it I thought, just with no map?
I'd assume the reason BYOND doesn't have a mac version is the same reason 99% of most software doesn't; mac is lame and incompatible with everything, doesn't have a large user-base, has an even smaller game-based user base, and re-witting the system to run there would be a waste of time.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
Hiro the Dragon King wrote:

Jeff8500 wrote:

That's a text-only version. You can play on it I thought, just with no map?
I'd assume the reason BYOND doesn't have a mac version is the same reason 99% of most software doesn't; mac is lame and incompatible with everything, doesn't have a large user-base, has an even smaller game-based user base, and re-witting the system to run there would be a waste of time.

I'd assume you're a pompous windbag. The real reason might involve the memory addressing differences between little- and big-endian hardware the operating systems are distributed on.
In response to Mobius Evalon
Mobius Evalon wrote:
I'd assume you're a pompous windbag. The real reason might involve the memory addressing differences between little- and big-endian hardware the operating systems are distributed on.

o.O Hardware has nothing to do with anything. If I wanted to I could install a mac OS on my computer right now, and if I went out and bought a mac for some unknown reason I could install windows over it. The OSes may handle the memory allocations and such differently, but that doesn't mean there's different physical memory hardware parts for different systems.
Well, if the devs on BYOND aren't going to make it compatible with Mac can they at least remove "Only windows users can play this game" thing? I just bought CrossOver and downloaded BYOND on it but I can't play it because I'm on a Mac..

Man, so close!
In response to Falacy
Installing Hackintosh is illegal, though, and you can't just pop in an OS X disc and install.
In response to Jeff8500
Jeff8500 wrote:
Installing Hackintosh is illegal, though, and you can't just pop in an OS X disc and install.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ olspage.jsp?skuId=8559197&st=operating+system&lp=7&type=prod uct&cp=1&id=1188561458224

EDIT: lmao, what an awesome "Feature"
"Run Windows XP and Windows Vista at native speed on your Mac"
Buy this mac so you can run windows!
In response to Falacy
That doesn't change the fact that Hackintosh is illegal.
In response to Jeff8500
Jeff8500 wrote:
That doesn't change the fact that Hackintosh is illegal.

Unless you literally mean "Hackintosh", as in an illegal version of the software, or you're being sarcastic o.O then I don't get what you mean.
In response to Falacy
Hackintosh is a term for a patched version of OS X that allows you to install it on your PC. Running Hackintosh is illegal, as is running OS X on your PC in any way, shape, or form. It's due to a software agreement or something; I forget. I don't think they go after those who use Hackintosh, but its still illegal.
In response to Jeff8500
As in installing it to run on windows? I don't see how or why they could make legitly purchased software illegal to install just like you would any other OS. If you're running it directly through your Windows OS then I suppose, but I doubt there's a legal way to acquire that software in the first place.
In response to Falacy
No, you need to run it on Mac hardware, look it up.
In response to Jeff8500
Jeff8500 wrote:
No, you need to run it on Mac hardware, look it up.

So, I can't build my own computer and run Mac on it unless I conform to their [expletive deleted] hardware. Yet another reason not to buy Mac.

And just to be sure, you all know that PC means "personal computer," right? By Mac stating that PC is "the other guy's," they're stating that your computer is not yours, its their's. They're a dominatrix, like Wal*Mart, except Wal*Mart sell decent products at relatively decent prices.
Someone's a Mac hater. Mac's are high quality computers, but they're way overpriced.
Page: 1 2