In response to Rushnut
Rushnut wrote:
You said "advanced" not "insane".

Not sure my insurance is going to cover the mental health breakdown I just had from attempting to absorb that much information.

Hey guys, me again, with another crazy tutorial.

I do believe that my secondary disclaimer, which you will find in section 1, subsection 1, paragraph a, line 1, will more than adequately dismiss any personal liability any parties would seek to claim on my, henceforth referred to as "lord of the universe"'s behalf.

But yeah, I know it's a bit much to grasp, but it does come out with a very nice effect for a game made in BYOND.

The most intensive part is learning to use Blender, but once you have your environment set up properly, you can actually model, render, crop, and export a tile in less than 20 minutes, compared to the 4-5 hours to do it by hand that it took me to do it the first time.
Am I the only one still waiting on this?
In response to D-Cire
D-Cire wrote:

Apparently. I'll be finishing this up this weekend, hopefully. There's some minor gruntwork I've been doing recently that's had me sidetracked.
lol i think i commented when i was moody, well done, could you show us a screenshot of what a world looks like with these objects?
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
D-Cire wrote:

Apparently. I'll be finishing this up this weekend, hopefully. There's some minor gruntwork I've been doing recently that's had me sidetracked.

Alright, thank you. :3
In response to Bumblemore
I imagine it would look better than the existing 3D maze demos, considering the door isn't flat.

Being stuck with turning by 90 degrees is always somewhat disappointing, though.
Why don't people work on Gaku's engine, now he's released it it's the perfect oppertunity.
Bumblemore wrote:
Why don't people work on Gaku's engine, now he's released it it's the perfect oppertunity.

Because BYOND is fundamentally gimped when it comes to raycasting.

I've written some really highly optimized raycasting engines in AS3 and Java, and even there, it's hard to get the framerates very high at all. On AS3, I managed to get roughly 120 fps (virtual) with textured walls, BSP, and I even did binary equivalents (with some error mind you) for division, because division is the slowest out of all the basical math operations.

I tried everything, Handjamming transforms, etc. Languages that do this kind of thing well all have one thing in common:

1) Direct access to the screen buffer.
2) volatile images.
3) the ability to process rendering on the client-side.

For that reason alone, Raycasting will NEVER be anything more than a niche project for BYOND without using another languages as a proxy, in which case, it would not be a BYOND implementation.

Please refrain from further discussion of raycasting in this thread. This thread is not about raycasting, but rather, a BYOND-oriented means of presenting a first-person world using the resources that BYOND has available to it.

Further discussion of the technique and its viability in BYOND will only further confuse people on the subject.
lol
I spent a few hours working on this system through the week. I've got about 16 hours left in my week that will allow me to do any work programming (going camping this weekend). It might not allow me to get this one done this week, but I'm going to make a big push.

On a side note, I overhauled my shader to fix a few problems with the output, and am working on setting up the initial DM code to work more efficiently than the current setup that I have.

I'm probably going to be building a better approach to the raycropper eventually, that will also allow for batch editing of icons, and batch color table editing. My real goal with the Raycropper is to be able to edit a large number of icons in a very small window of time.

Once I've got an idea of the exact system I'm going to use for the final DM subsystem, I'll be updating this tutorial, and probably splitting each part into different threads by section.
Any news on this?
i thought 120 fps was brilliant but mbe that's just me
Unfortunately, completion of this got stalled out by contracts that I took on. I'll see what I can do to get back to it at some point.
I don't get it, how do you make it look like a 3d game?
Bumblemore wrote:
I don't get it, how do you make it look like a 3d game?

Rendering things at angles lends to perspective.
Hmm, I always thought it had something to do with witchcraft, or Nicholas Cage(Though the two go hand-in-hand).

Anyways i'd love to see you work on this more Ter. It is very interesting, and idk about everyone else. But i've actually read through all of of this post and hope you finish it!
I'm still waiting on this, TerryBoy. Lol.
http://www.byond.com/developer/?text=3d&sort=pop

Pretty sure one those two Maze ones is a doom like maze game "first person" I saw back in 2004 I think..
Page: 1 2