In response to Spunky_Girl
Spunky_Girl wrote:
Yes it is so racist how I pointed out "non-English speakers". Excuse my "racism" (*ahem* prejudice).

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't think things through. You're not stereotyping and discriminating on the basis of a meaningless attribute like ethnicity, you're stereotyping and discriminating on the basis of the meaningless attribute of which language they speak. That's totally different and not at all bigoted.
Spunky_Girl wrote:
This is the exact reason why I tend to avoid helping people like you on the forums.

Hey i'm not saying anything mean just repeating what you're saying if that's bad handcuff me and put me to jail.
In response to Jp
Jp wrote:
Spunky_Girl wrote:
Yes it is so racist how I pointed out "non-English speakers". Excuse my "racism" (*ahem* prejudice).

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't think things through. You're not stereotyping and discriminating on the basis of a meaningless attribute like ethnicity, you're stereotyping and discriminating on the basis of the meaningless attribute of which language they speak. That's totally different and not at all bigoted.

Whatever he said i only understood about 1% of that.
In response to D4rk3 Marshmell0w
And you can't tell when a person is being sarcastic. Must be that language barrier. I will admit I am a bit prejudice towards non-English speakers due to all of the online gaming I do. However, I am not in the slightest, a racist.

@Jp:
There is actually a fundamental difference between racism and prejudice. Racism is one believing one or more races to be inferior to their own in whatever way(s). Prejudice is a thought/feeling you pre-conceive without prior knowledge of.

Just for you - the dictionary definitions of each word.

Racism - a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

Prejudice - an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.

The definition of prejudice is slightly off because this pre-conceived opinion can also be favorable.
I'm sorry to be the one to let you know, Spunky, but bigotry is bigotry. You formin' prejudices and stereotypes and unfavourable opinions about people based on their language? You may as well be doing it on the basis of their skin colour.
It's only a matter of time before non-byond members get sucked into this argument.
Okay guys calm down i think it's time to close the topic things are getting a little too hostile. JP do the honor of closing the topic or Stephen the badger?
And I'm sorry to let you know, but you said it was "pretty racist in here". Not "pretty bigot...ist... whatever... in here"

Also, I am not "completely" intolerant of non-English speakers. I merely tend to avoid any sort of communication with them since the conversations usually end with either of us being hostile towards the other.
Spunky_Girl wrote:
And I'm sorry to let you know, but you said it was "pretty racist in here". Not "pretty bigot...ist... whatever... in here"

Also, I am not "completely" intolerant of non-English speakers. I merely tend to avoid any sort of communication with them since the conversations usually end with either of us being hostile towards the other.

You sir are very racist.

Problem solved.
In response to D4rk3 Marshmell0w
What problem would that be? I'm still not racist haha. I most definitely do not believe that my race is better than others. Quite the opposite actually. I am of the "white" race (mostly of European descent of course), and I actually dislike my own race. My different groups of friends mostly consist of races other than "white".
Never state you have non-white friends when being called a racist. It only makes matters worse.
I have at LEAST one black friend, and he calls me brotha. I ain't racist cracka.
In response to Vrocaan
Vrocaan wrote:
I have at LEAST one black friend, and he calls me brotha. I ain't racist cracka.

yo brotha how ya been you been good i been cracken with my friends wanna join brotha?
From the looks of it, he's just baiting you.

Back on topic, and not trying to frame people and turn this into a court room.. There may be some ties between nationalities in how 'they' act, they being the non-english speakers, or barely speaking. Americans are generally seen poorly among other countries, so I wouldnt be surprised to hear that one or another is rude due to that.

However, it seems more plausible to just say whoever is doing it is just a dick.

Who knows though.. maybe Spunky_Girl is just a racist and she started this topic to bash the race of non English speakers :P
There is an influx of people attempting to learn DM, true, and this topic is getting out of hand, fast, true.
In response to Kitsueki
As you say, Americans are seen pretty poorly among other countries. Why? I didn't do anything my government decided to do, and yet I am the one getting the brunt of insults when playing online games, or being apart of online communities in general.
I think the fact that you decided to link immaturity to the non-English speaking population put yourself in a bit of a ditch really. And stating that you have friends of other races, whom speak English, I assume, doesn't defer from the fact that you are, at least, discriminatory, which kind of borders on the ideals of racism.
In response to SilencedWhisper
Then I can say the same for the non-English speakers across the world who have that general disposition of not liking Americans simply because we're Americans.
In response to SilencedWhisper
Discrimination is not a -bad- thing. To rid yourself of discriminating would be to make yourself ignorant. The common use of discrimination is a misconstrued adaptation. To discriminate is to decide for yourself, and thats a vital skill. Saying "I have friends not of my ethnicity" is just a statement. If its true, then so it is. To act as if you dont notice someone is another race is just a lack of attention.

..Its what you apply to that recognition, that is positive or negative.

Proving you aren't a racist is merely a matter of deciding to not make changes to your behavior regarding race. =)

This is a sensitive topic though, and so I'm off it. Hopefully any hostility we get here isn't a matter of nationality.
Page: 1 2 3