ID:133583

Well, as the title says,

I'd like to see a *.u3p package for USB Sticks with U3 function, so that we can run BYOND on every pc/laptop.

I hope this can be done, but if not, too bad then.
And if it already has been suggested, my apologies.

Regards,

Rick
I had to look up what U3 even was to figure out what you were asking, but from what I've read this would be impossible for BYOND without substantial modifications. It requires the program completely take itself off the local system when finished. The platform is closed-source and requires registration to use the SDK. U3 is also considered fairly buggy and unstable, prone to a lot of usability issues. This technology is not ready for primetime.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
So for this, I'd just have to hope I can instal BYOND on the PC's?

So, most likely it's not going to be used, right?
In response to Lummox JR
On top of that, U3 should not be supported in any way for being intrusive and a pain to IT staff everywhere. I recommend http://portableapps.com/ for a much better alternative.

That being said, last I knew you could copy your BYOND program folder right onto a jump drive to run it. The only major issue was that it would create a new profile on every computer it's plugged into. If we could get a switch to define the profile location, it could easily become mobile in that way. Perhaps BYOND makes some registry changes that I don't know about, but it seems like as long as the profile was on the jump drive, it would leave next to no foot print.
In response to Danial.Beta
That'd be awesome. Like, most school and work PC's don't allow BYOND, well I do have some sparetime in between, lol.
Dude. Take the BYOND installer on your PC and install BYOND directly onto your USB stick. Then run BYOND on another computer with the USB stick in it. Choose the correct program when you open a BYOND application, and set the path to the "bin" folder. Voila! I do that all the time to work on my game at school because the computers don't allow you to install anything on them without admin. ^_^ Hope that helps!
In response to ShadowPrince2008
Doesn't that mess my PC's BYOND location?
In response to Sokkiejjj
So reset the path to the program files bin on YOUR computer. Sorry, forgot to mention that. I ran into the same thing. I just reset the path for my computer to go to the Program Files one instead of my USB.
In response to ShadowPrince2008
Just copied the BYOND program files on my USB Stick. =P
Guess that works, too.
In response to Sokkiejjj
Yeah i guess so xD You can also upgrade the BYOND on your USB by installing the latest version(s) directly to your USB's BYOND folder.
In response to Danial.Beta
Danial.Beta wrote:
If we could get a switch to define the profile location, it could easily become mobile in that way. Perhaps BYOND makes some registry changes that I don't know about, but it seems like as long as the profile was on the jump drive, it would leave next to no foot print.

Concerning the profile location, since BYOND now stores them in Documents & Settings (or the vista equivalent), it means it's likely using an environment variable to find that path. Possibly %USERPROFILE%, for example. You can use a batch file that will override those values for programs run within itself so it shouldn't be too hard to make a .bat/.cmd that will have BYOND store its data in an alternative location.

Registry changes, however, would still be a problem.