ID:133694

When the Favorites ranking system was introduced some time ago, I remember there being a relative ranking of your games.

I was wondering if there was still a way to tell any of these things:

a) What your game rank is compared to other games

b) Who has you added to their favorites (a list, not individually)

c) Just a count of how many people have you added to their favorites

d) What your average place on people's favorites are (1st place, 4th place?)

Any of these things would be a nice metric to evaluate your own games and be able to see what you can do to improve.

~Polatrite~
Polatrite wrote:
I was wondering if there was still a way to tell any of these things:

a) What your game rank is compared to other games

The rank itself is not currently displayed anywhere, but you can tell how your game ranks relatively to another one by doing a search and ordering by popularity (the default).

b) Who has you added to their favorites (a list, not individually)

Currently there is no list like that, but then I don't think there ever was.

c) Just a count of how many people have you added to their favorites

No count exists either.

d) What your average place on people's favorites are (1st place, 4th place?)

This hasn't been listed before either, I think. It'd be interesting to know but I'm not sure it's at all a useful metric. It only tells you this info for people who like your game, and even then it could easily vary a lot by user preference.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
This hasn't been listed before either, I think. It'd be interesting to know but I'm not sure it's at all a useful metric. It only tells you this info for people who like your game, and even then it could easily vary a lot by user preference.

Most of these metrics would really only be useful if you could actually review individual players (even if anonymously - my preference, really). If your game averages #4 on a list, you may review players and see that another game averages #2 on a list. You could then check out #2, and see what areas they have bested you in (such as interface design) and work on improving that in your own game.

Some would argue this is a lesser form of idea sharking, I suppose, but that's how the real world operates. (Look at the constant discussion on what it would take to topple WoW)

~Polatrite~
In response to Polatrite
Polatrite wrote:
Most of these metrics would really only be useful if you could actually review individual players (even if anonymously - my preference, really). If your game averages #4 on a list, you may review players and see that another game averages #2 on a list. You could then check out #2, and see what areas they have bested you in (such as interface design) and work on improving that in your own game.

Actually you make a good point, that maybe while knowing your average place on a favorites list isn't important, knowing where your game ranks compared to another game among people who like both could be useful. However this won't tell you anything about what could improve your game, only people's general impressions.

Some would argue this is a lesser form of idea sharking, I suppose, but that's how the real world operates. (Look at the constant discussion on what it would take to topple WoW)

Using the best ideas from other games is quite a smart thing to do, actually. I have no beef with that.

Lummox JR