ID:133799

I know it might suck up alot of Bandwidth to make it even a little bit bigger, but I have some ideas of change everything.

Current Large Icons
64x64; files no larger than 10kb

Ideal Icon Size
80x80; files no larger than 30kb

Why?
-64x64 is very small and using non-icon images, like anime character's pictures in it will result in people not being able to make out what it is.

-10kb doesn't leave much space for quality in the icons, I normally have to make them 16-Bit GIFs to get them animated with 3-7 frames.

I have no problem with the small icons.

Current Banners
250x60; files no larger than 64kb

Ideal Banners
468x60; files no larger than 500kb
(The size would be the same size as a topsite banner)

OR

350x60; files no larger than 200kb

Why?
-Its nice when people can put text in their banners telling people about the game with short phrases like "-Run 24/7 on Digital BYOND" its like a mini-summary and catches people's eyes. But with 250x60, its very hard to do so.

Solution to Bandwidth Problem!
-Off-site Linking, so it doesn't take the space or bandwidth from the BYOND Server.
-Off-site Upload Server, get images hosted on a web-server from a third-party site instead of the BYOND Servers.
-Members-only, less size restriction only for BYOND Members.
Magdreamer wrote:
-64x64 is very small and using non-icon images, like anime character's pictures in it will result in people not being able to make out what it is.

-10kb doesn't leave much space for quality in the icons, I normally have to make them 16-Bit GIFs to get them animated with 3-7 frames.

No offense, but good-looking anime character pictures and animated hub icons aren't exactly high on people's want list. Personally, I'd rather go without both.

Solution to Bandwidth Problem!
-Off-site Linking, so it doesn't take the space or bandwidth from the BYOND Server.
-Off-site Upload Server, get images hosted on a web-server from a third-party site instead of the BYOND Servers.
-Members-only, less size restriction only for BYOND Members.

Off-site linking to banners might be a good idea, although it might get a bit annoying if we start seeing dead links to banner images, but I don't know if that'd be a big issue anymore since I don't think they're even used anywhere except on the hub page. If you could link to the banner image you could just post the image on your member's page and link to it from there.
In response to Foomer
If the image is not loaded properly, its possible to make it load it as blank.
Magdreamer wrote:

The whole site design--and as it happens, redesign--is based around this icon size. It's quite adequate for a game icon. Anyway the last thing we want to do is cater to anime games; the idea is to push BYOND's variety in more directions.

I'm a bit confused by that, since GIF is not a 16-bit format; its maximum palette size is 256 colors. There are ways to make smaller GIFs, depending on the program you use. I've found Photoshop Elements, while it lacks some editing features, saves very compact GIFs. Also, why is animation so crucial there?

Current Banners
250x60; files no larger than 64kb

Ideal Banners
468x60; files no larger than 500kb
(The size would be the same size as a topsite banner)

Half a megabyte for a banner? That's ludicrous.

Anyway, the banner size is what it is and isn't changing. There's perhaps room to talk about file size but 64KB allows for animation pretty well.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
A banner will hardly ever take that size, I know and thats the point. If its higher than that, its crazy, but making low limits are restricting creativity.
In response to Magdreamer
Magdreamer wrote:
A banner will hardly ever take that size, I know and thats the point. If its higher than that, its crazy, but making low limits are restricting creativity.

Not really. Putting in boundaries can be a great way of encouraging creativity. The least creative banners I've seen are the ones that are animated to death.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
The least creative banners I've seen are the ones that are animated to death.

Which I believe is why they were restricted to a smaller size in the first place. If you give people lots of space for banners, they'll inevitable come up with the largest, most annoying banners possible.