ID:133901

RIGHT, After sending a message to Tom I was diverted to here, so, here it goes.

My name is DarkBelthazor, and much like other coders I usually shift through the How-To's to help people with their problems. I realize this is VERY ineffective because once your problem is on Page 2 it is forgotten about.

I suggest a live chat room or instant messaging service be placed on the BYOND site, for quick and easy help with code problems.

A coders guild, to provide help and service to all the newcomers, to stop people being sucked into the new "rip-a-game-now-its-mine" culture of today.

Well, what do ya think?

=P
If you coder, and want to help people with theyr coding problems, also if you think that How-To doesn't help then go and make a chat! Where you can share/send your code with questions to someone so they can help you with it..!

Your chat will just need to advertisment in How-To, Code-Problems and Creations sections so people will go to your chat to ask for help, not forums...

P.S. If you really will do this chat make me GM xD I will come online and help other ppl too
As I said before, and will say to you again for the record: I don't think it'll have any effect.

You can open up a guild and a few people may join, but the people you want to join -- rippers from BYOND Anime -- won't join because of their arrogance and "I'm better than everybody else" attitude.

The best you'd be able to get is a few newbies who really do want to learn, but they would have the brain capacity to read the DM Guide in the first place, not requiring assistance most of the time.

A suggestion I am for is to make a wiki that stores code snippets, information about DM, the old & new guide, as well as a "Newbie of the month" -- a newbie to BYOND developing who has shown he or she is better than other newbies.

But a full-blown guild with forums and blog posts and whatnot seems useless, since we already have that: The Dream Maker guild + BYOND forums. And they're official.

-- Data
In response to Ripiz
I was told if I get enough support for it it might be made official on the BYOND webpage. Well, I was told to 'discuss' it as Tom would rather have an official one....whichever... Data, I'm not asking for guild forums etc etc as as ive explained they are useless, a live chatbox however will allow quick and effective fixing of peoples code problems
In response to DarkBelthazor
Well you can count on me that I will help while I'm online
In response to Ripiz
Lol, i think i might need more then one person though =P
Not much people want to join still non-existing project xD
You should find people quite easy later
In response to Ripiz
I can help when I am online too.
In response to Miran94
That's 3 people! 1 more to go and we are fine I think!
In response to Ripiz
Oh please, are you guys telling me only 4 people want to take BYOND out of a dumpster? this is clinically wrong! XD
We could try =p
It's better than watch like it's becoming bigger dumpster
In response to Ripiz
Meh, I spose XD Come on, rally the troops xD
DarkBelthazor wrote:
a live chatbox however will allow quick and effective fixing of peoples code problems

In that case, we'd need Chatters or the equivalent of one back.

Good luck,
-- Data
I find How-To and Problems good enough, but a live chat would be a lot easier. I'll join you in your fight for knowledge...
In response to Kaiochao2536
Yay!! We got 4 people!!

DarkBelthazor it's time to start making your Dev-Chat :D
You'll find that you'll get a lot more people that are ready and willing if you were to build a prototype and demonstrate how it works out.

Just a suggestion.
In response to Ripiz
lmao as I said, im not the one making it XD I was told by Tom to do a full discussion on the forums cos he'd prefer an official one on the site if one is made at all. So as I said I need more then 4 people XD but thanks kaio! Your input is greatly needed, tell your friends!! XD
If I'll have time I'll make it ^^
But not sure that I will be able to get that time xD
In response to Ripiz
Ripiz wrote:
P.S. If you really will do this chat make me GM xD I will come online and help other ppl too

Point of duh: There's no such thing as a GM in a chat. Admin yes, GM no. A GM is a game master, someone who controls elements of the game but isn't (at least as part of that title) involved in admin responsibilities. Chats have no game elements, thus no GMs.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Coders that desperately want GM/Admin in a game will ask to help code, just to put themselves in as GM/Admin. Sometimes they don't even do anything else, and it doesn't last too long.

Page: 1 2 3