DarkBelthazor wrote:
Well, what do ya think?

I think: DreamMakers and Chat.
In response to DarkBelthazor
I'm no good at making chat -.-

DarkBelthazor do you have MSN?
In response to Ripiz
It's easy to make chat games... All you need is a say verb.
In response to Kaiochao2536
If you're going to make a chat program for programming help, you're going to need far, far more than a simple say verb.
In response to Ripiz
RIGHT, a simple PHP/MySQL page would be easy enough as a base prototype. And wtf u on about GM? im afraid hes right, no need for game masters on a live chatbox :S most powers even an admin would get is to ban an IP from messaging haha

But I spose I could try to make a neat lil chatbox prototype. Im an utter noob at PHP, so if its crap to start off with i wouldnt mind the input of others to help improve it :P!

Thx again

DarkBelthazor
Take it from me, PHP is not a good language to make a chat room in. Although it's totally possible, it's an awful pain in the ass.

You might be able to get away with it if you add in AJAX, but even then, there is still a fair bit of delay.

You'd be better off trying something like a Java Applet or possibly even Flash.
In response to Tiberath
or, instead of re-inventing the wheel, just go with Tib's first suggestion: [link]

there are already atleast 1 or 2 guilds set up for programming help in various areas, and there are several good chat-systsms already running and hosted 24/7 - Evi's Chat (mentioned above) for example. you can make a channel there and off you go! all the live chatting you need (atleast until Chatters (which was BYOND's official chat system at one time) returns this fall/winter).

In response to digitalmouse
The reason im 're-inventing' the wheel as you put it, is because it was invented square shaped. Yes, if coders need help let them just go to another far off forum no one cares about >_> XD
I think GrrenLime just created something that would greatly help your cause. It's for multiple coders or something. Might help, might not, but it's interesting.

Real-Time Edit
DarkBelthazor wrote:
Yes, if coders need help let them just go to another far off forum no one cares about >_> XD

sarcasm aside- this is doomed to failure since there are plenty of existing resources. people just need to use them effectively. creating something all over again won't attract anyone if they are not willing to use what is already conveniently available.
im not creating something else all over again. people were using filing cabinets as pieces of odd paper to store files, until some brainy guy invented another way of doing it "the computer", which made things quicker and easier. he re-invented the square wheel.

I'm suggesting this as a new, maybe better way to handle code problems. Instead of them being forgotten about on the forums
DarkBelthazor wrote:
im not creating something else all over again. people were using filing cabinets as pieces of odd paper to store files, until some brainy guy invented another way of doing it "the computer", which made things quicker and easier. he re-invented the square wheel.

This filing system and stuff? It's still done. Digital copies with 'hard-cover' backups. In case the hard drive fries and someone steals the backup USB-Keys.

And you are reinventing the wheel. What are you asking for again? A guild dedicated to programming help? Sounds suspiciously like Dream Makers to me. And a chat environment where people can discuss programming issues? That screams Chat in my ears. (Or Chatters, Chatty, wiz_chat, AChat and all of the other chat programs we've migrated to and fro over the years.)

So please tell me, with your suggestions, how are you not reinventing the wheel, so to speak?

For the record, I like using paper. I'd much rather write a story and type it later, than type it up now.
In response to Tiberath
and i'm saying why not use the tools already provided more effectively? the guilds and chatrooms are made for the sort of things you want to do - it's just that few people are taking advantage of it that way.

how do you propose to make your idea better than what already exists, yet is underused?
In response to Tiberath
All those were BYOND games though, I'm talking about something live on the site
because an instant message/chat box system would make it EASIER. The easier/less complicated something is the more likely it will be used
Ya know there's an edit button on your most recent post, right?
In response to Android Data
Hear hear! Chatters was indeed full of people willing to help... And Mertek.

Plus, most of the people knew what they were doing, and were willing to help... And Mertek.

Generally there were people online twenty four hours a day... And Mertek.

Oh, and it was a fairly well made program simple enough for anyone to learn quickly, but advanced enough it would help any simpleton do what they needed... And Mertek.

...And then there was Mertek.
In response to Ter13
And then there's Maude!
In response to Jtgibson
Lest we forget AZAdizzle and Ezrahchan. And the ever so comical appearances of LummoxJR, quickly followed by the appearance of the mutestick...

God, I miss chatters.
Page: 1 2 3