ID:134077

[6:57 PM] Jon88: Bug tom for a way to make a byond game installer
[6:57 PM] Jon88: so your files go in their own special folder
[6:57 PM] Jon88: So users run the installer first
[6:57 PM] Jon88: And then can run the game

So that's exactly what I'm doing. I think it would help with games that have a lot of music, or music in general. Less lag/loading, more play! What do ya think?

-Dession
I think that's a great idea. I've actually wanted that for a while. Not only will the resources be loaded automatically, but it makes the games look more professional.
In response to Mareth
Yeah and with my current game I realized I have well over 30MB of music files...And that would just kill a game/server right now.
In response to Dession
I doubt users are going to go out of their way to download game resources.

Either way, it's going to take the same amount of time to get the resources on their computer and them playing the game.

This would also become annoying, because you'll have to go and reinstall the game after every major to minor update.
In response to Keeth
Keeth wrote:
I doubt users are going to go out of their way to download game resources.

Either way, it's going to take the same amount of time to get the resources on their computer and them playing the game.

This would also become annoying, because you'll have to go and reinstall the game after every major to minor update.

Ever heard of patchfiles? BYOND already currently incorporates patches...so, it probably wouldn't be too far off to add this functionality later on in development of the suite.
Dession wrote:

So that's exactly what I'm doing. I think it would help with games that have a lot of music, or music in general. Less lag/loading, more play! What do ya think?

We can set it up so that resources placed in the Skins/ directory (4.0) for the game get automatically imported when the game is run. Then we'd leave it up to the developer to design an installer that would put the resources in the directory.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
Dession wrote:

We can set it up so that resources placed in the Skins/ directory (4.0) for the game get automatically imported when the game is run. Then we'd leave it up to the developer to design an installer that would put the resources in the directory.

That would be excellent! Thanks Tom, I appreciate it!
In response to Tom
So with the public beta of 4.0, was this feature included?
In response to Dession
Dession wrote:

No, there is no "game installer" feature.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Dession wrote:

But you can import resources in byond. Just point byond.exe to a .rsc file and it will import the resources and run the corresponding .dmb if it is present. So if you made an installer that ran "byond.exe mygame.rsc" it would do what you want.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:
Dession wrote:

But you can import resources in byond. Just point byond.exe to a .rsc file and it will import the resources and run the corresponding .dmb if it is present. So if you made an installer that ran "byond.exe mygame.rsc" it would do what you want.

How? =P
In response to Dession
Dession wrote:
How? =P

either in "open location" or on the command-line, "byond.exe world.rsc". This is meant for an installer so executing a command line is no problem.