ID:134166

I'll explain this the best I can, if you're hosting something from a computer on your network and you connect to the world using the network IP (192.168.x.x) the pager will report that as your external IP and will attempt to connect people to that IP if they attempt to join you through the pager. Logging out and back into the world using the actual external IP fixes the issue.

What I'm guessing is the pager doesn't realize it needs to report the external IP because it assumes the person is connecting to a LAN game and the internal IP is all that it needs to handle.
Nadrew wrote:
I'll explain this the best I can, if you're hosting something from a computer on your network and you connect to the world using the network IP (192.168.x.x) the pager will report that as your external IP and will attempt to connect people to that IP if they attempt to join you through the pager. Logging out and back into the world using the actual external IP fixes the issue.

Right, because the pager is simply reporting the actual IP that it's connected to. There's never been any logic to try to figure out the "real" IP, and any such logic would be error prone in certain situations. There's no way it can possibly know how your router is configured to give access (if at all) to the internal hosted port from the outside world.

There are plenty of things we could do to guess the actual IP address, including trying to do it at the hub. I don't know if it's worth the hassle or the possibility of guessing wrong. In the absolute worst case, I can imagine scenarios where someone could fool the system by sending bogus information about a game they're not actually hosting. We'd have to protect against that.
In response to Mike H
Totally off topic, but Mike, I have to ask what exactly your avatar entails. I know it's a dog - probably yours. But what's the setting and what's he doing?
In response to Polatrite