ID:134205

As of right now, the whole Byond/pager system is kind of annoying. I miss the days of having my Dream Seeker and Pager integrated. I understand how Pager could become a bit buggy if you had multiple Dream Seekers open, but I still enjoyed it better.

So, my idea is... Why don’t they integrate it all together, web browser style? Think of how Opera uses the tab system to let you have multiple web pages available at once. Why can’t they make BYOND do the same with Dream Seekers?

The BYOND client would be as the browser and you could open multiple Dream Seekers within it, like Opera does for web pages. This way your task bar wouldn’t become cluttered with Dream Seeker windows and there wouldn’t be multiple instances of pager running. It also would be easier to manage. In the future, perhaps Dream Maker and Daemon could be integrated into the Client as well, creating an easy to manage and very functional program.

What do you think? Has it been suggested before?
You mean like tabbed Dream Seekers leading into different servers? I like the idea, and support it, but I doubt it will be done. Seems too much of a hassle. However, one window for all does seem pretty awesome.

If there is any chance of this happening, I think that there should be an option for it. I clearly remember someone complaining about Firefox 2.0 because it opened things in new tabs rather than new windows, so apparently not everyone would like this feature.
In response to CaptFalcon33035
Thanks for the feedback. I feel that having one window for both DS and the client would be much easier to navigate. But like you said, there are always people who oppose new product features. :(

Back to ideas for future releases:

How about a feature in Dream Maker that stores the last five turf you've used in a seperate menu so you don't have to constantly be scrolling up an down the menu looking for a turf while making a map.
In response to Riva
Riva wrote:
How about a feature in Dream Maker that stores the last five turf you've used in a seperate menu so you don't have to constantly be scrolling up an down the menu looking for a turf while making a map.

Thats why you put your turfs into categories.
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
Riva wrote:

Thats why you put your turfs into categories.

True, but it would be a lot easier for DM to have a memory.
In response to Riva
Riva wrote:

For you maybe. It just goes to show you're lazy though. If you can't be bothered to add one more like of code.
In response to Smoko
Smoko wrote:
Riva wrote:

For you maybe. It just goes to show you're lazy though. If you can't be bothered to add one more like of code.

Maybe so, but sometimes turfs can still be annoyingly far apart.

Look at it this way, if it weren't for lazy guys like me improvments to make things ridiculously easier would be far more scarce. :)
Riva wrote:
As of right now, the whole Byond/pager system is kind of annoying. I miss the days of having my Dream Seeker and Pager integrated. I understand how Pager could become a bit buggy if you had multiple Dream Seekers open, but I still enjoyed it better.

So, my idea is... Why don’t they integrate it all together, web browser style? Think of how Opera uses the tab system to let you have multiple web pages available at once. Why can’t they make BYOND do the same with Dream Seekers?

Because Dream Seeker is fairly integrated into BYOND's backend, and there would be no reasonable way to set up sessions in tabs. Maybe to a limited extent this could be made possible, but there's no real impetus to do it, and with 4.0 it might not be possible even remotely. Further, tabs would just reduce screen real-estate for games.

The BYOND client would be as the browser and you could open multiple Dream Seekers within it, like Opera does for web pages. This way your task bar wouldn’t become cluttered with Dream Seeker windows and there wouldn’t be multiple instances of pager running.

The pager doesn't support multiple instances now anyway.

It also would be easier to manage. In the future, perhaps Dream Maker and Daemon could be integrated into the Client as well, creating an easy to manage and very functional program.

What do you think? Has it been suggested before?

I don't think it has, but it's not gonna happen. It just isn't feasible and the interface would in many ways be clunkier than anything around now.

Lummox JR
In response to Riva
It's been a while since I've used the map maker in DM, but I'm sure you can use a turf already on the map by right-clicking it. There should be an option somewhere in the context menu.
In response to Lummox JR
As long as we're talking about tabs, why not have a tabbed dream maker? This is something I was talking about recently with a friend. Almost every other IDE I've used (for c++ or whatever) have tabbed files that make it much easier to flip back and forth between source files (I have all my code categorized into seperate files). If this isn't already in 4.0 it seems like a no-brainer to me. Heck, what about even displaying two code files side by side for comparison?
In response to Hobbesx
Hobbesx wrote:
As long as we're talking about tabs, why not have a tabbed dream maker? This is something I was talking about recently with a friend. Almost every other IDE I've used (for c++ or whatever) have tabbed files that make it much easier to flip back and forth between source files (I have all my code categorized into seperate files). If this isn't already in 4.0 it seems like a no-brainer to me. Heck, what about even displaying two code files side by side for comparison?

I'd find side-by-side comparison a lot more useful than tabs, which are difficult to wade through and only take up screen real-estate, but the problem with comparing two windows side by side is that there's simply not enough room on the screen to do it.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
And, while it could be a bit nicer to have it on the compiler, there are specialized programs for text file comparisons anyway -- just use them. There's also no need to re-invent the wheel.
In response to Kaioken
I would really appreciate tabs, if you want to use an IDE that can highlight DM files and use tabs you can send me an email and I can send you an alpha version of my editor I made, you may need the .NET framework though.
In response to Xx Dark Wizard xX
Xx Dark Wizard xX wrote:
I would really appreciate tabs, if you want to use an IDE that can highlight DM files and use tabs you can send me an email and I can send you an alpha version of my editor I made, you may need the .NET framework though.

No offense, but why the heck would BYOND want to use anything you make? If anything they would make it themselves so that it would be a quality product.
In response to Flame Sage
He was offering Kaioken, not Lummox. But it isn't hard to create highlighting files for most text editors, so no need to reinvent the wheel. There are lots for windows.
In response to Danial.Beta
I find all these requests a waste of time and if they were going to be put in , it would just get us further away from the 4.0 mark.
In response to A.T.H.K
Indeed. The only valid request here, really, would be to ask for a Dream Maker command-line compile option in Windows (with an option to redirect the output); Which is something a few of us have asked for.
In response to Alathon
Alathon wrote:
Indeed. The only valid request here, really, would be to ask for a Dream Maker command-line compile option in Windows (with an option to redirect the output); Which is something a few of us have asked for.

It's on the List. It's just been low-priority. However, my next planned task is working on some Dream Maker stuff, so this could be something I could slip in.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Do it and people could make their own Dream Maker programs.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Alathon wrote:

It's on the List. It's just been low-priority. However, my next planned task is working on some Dream Maker stuff, so this could be something I could slip in.

Oops, I think I promised this years ago. The easiest thing to do is to just have a separate EXE that doesn't have any of the GUI stuff in there (basically just the linux version). Will do!
Page: 1 2