ID:134452

Sarm wrote:

Remember when there was that wave of "click my link for cash" nonsense? Someone threw up a game called "Proelium Training Grounds" where you could supposedly learn how to push a button that makes your character move sideways. All it was really for was Byond's automatic browser opening to one of those links. I wonder if the same thing is possible to force-vote games when people log in too.

I wish there was a toggle so that I could give permission when Dream Seeker wanted to use the Browser window.

Pretty much sums it up. Some sort of option in DS -> File -> Preferences to toggle whether or not a "Do you want to connect to [site] through the browser?" y/n alert would appear when it tries to connect you to any site through the browser in DS.
Why? A much better feature would be to just inplement Gecko. Then you wouldn't have to worry about people trying to mess with your computer.
In response to Android Data
Gecko wouldn't help. I don't think you fully understand the problem. =)
In response to Crispy
Crispy wrote:
Gecko wouldn't help. I don't think you fully understand the problem. =)

I don't want to have my users say "no" to my browser windows simply because they're pussies and afraid of allowing it. The "click to vote" games are just created by retards whom you should ignore.

Besides, in 4.0 I want the ability to provide my own options. Allowing or disallowing files to be sent to your computer has no effect (ftp() already asks you if you want to accept it in a sense) and external byond:// links is pointless because all it's doing at the moment is preventing multiple worlds to be run which you can switch between. As for sounds... we can make options like "Sounds", "Music" etc. to distinguish more about which sounds to disable.
In response to Android Data
Android Data wrote:
I don't want to have my users say "no" to my browser windows simply because they're pussies and afraid of allowing it. The "click to vote" games are just created by retards whom you should ignore.

Oh, I agree. I'm just saying that a change of browser won't solve the problem. It isn't solvable, at least not without crippling functionality.

With all security features, there has to be a tradeoff between security and functionality. In this case functionality wins; the security concern isn't high enough to justify crippling use of the browser to that extent.
In response to Crispy
Using gecko would remove many of the risks of this functionality. Granted, they can still forward you to other sites, but IE is easily compromised by websites, so linking someone to another site imposes a big security risk for some. Gecko, however, is not prone to this risks.
I really don't care for BYOND games linking to external websites either, so I certainly wouldn't object to having a "Prompt for External Browser Links" preference. Most BYOND programs can get by just fine without sending the player to websites besides those generated by the program itself.
In response to Crispy

Android Data wrote:

I just want to see the URL of the site before I accept it. If it's something like 'lemonparty.org' I'm gonna click no. Otherwise I'll click yes.

I just don't want to have nasty things like that thrown in my face when I want to try out a new BYOND game.