ID:134503

I'm a little curious here - has anyone ever had a look at the format of .dmb files? Opening one up with a hex editor has revealed the following, for me:

All dmb files start off with a text string containing the byond version and the minimum compatible version. Either FF and 00 are very common instructions, or they serve as delimiters. No other plaintext (besides the version) appears to be stored in the file.

That's about all I can work out. There are some symbols - say, hex 40, that are common enough that I think they probably mean something important, but I don't have any knowledge of ASM, so I'm not quite sure what to look at.

Is this non-classified information?
The DMB file contains post-compiled source code, which I assume you already know ;)

I doubt you would be able to salvage much of anything useful in there, because I'm sure even the pre compiled code is encrypted somehow.
In response to Flame Sage
Flame Sage wrote:
I doubt you would be able to salvage much of anything useful in there, because I'm sure even the pre compiled code is encrypted somehow.

Before you compile your code, you have dm files which use plain-text encryption. This is a very complex encryption method which you can find the specifics about here.
In response to Flame Sage
Yes, I know it's compiled. I'm not looking to 'salvage' anything - I'm interested in looking at the bytecode itself and seeing how it works. What the commands are, how it's structured, and so forth.
In response to Jp
You have too much time on your hands. =)

Anyway, you'd probably be able to figure it out just by making a blank project and compiling it. Then add a bit of code and see what changes. That kinda thing.