ID:134506

We have a TAB macro but there should be a way to use back-TAB also. Since there is a TAB -->| , we should also include TAB <--| and just call it BACKTAB or something. Just a suggestion. Thanks.

- Vizuke
What exactly do you mean? The only thing I could think of that makes sense would be untabbing lines of code in the Dream Maker, which you can already do with shift+tab. If that's not what you're talking about, what do you mean by "back tabbing?"
In response to Loduwijk
He means that there is no Dream Seeker macro for shift+tab. DS interprets it as a plain tab. I agree that it should be in the list of supported keys.
In response to Shadowdarke
Shadowdarke wrote:
He means that there is no Dream Seeker macro for shift+tab. DS interprets it as a plain tab. I agree that it should be in the list of supported keys.

If BYOND supported shift+tab wouldn't it be possible to support shift+(any key)? I remember a while back that Crispy was complaining about BYOND not supporting shift+clicks because he wanted to put them in his YAGSACG. Note: I know Click() is not a macro. I was just recalling something.
In response to Shadowdarke
Why would that ever be included? We don't have a macro for shift+up, shift+down, or shift plus left, right, space, enter, backspace, etc. either. It's not like shift+tab is any more special than shift+anything else.

There are some programs that add "untab" abilities using shift+tab, but that's the exception and not the rule. I say if you want to start doing things like this, it should be done by including built-in KeyUp/KeyDown functionality in Byond then you can check those to have shift plus whatever you want. That makes much more sense than adding a single macro for shift and one single key.
In response to Loduwijk
Loduwijk wrote:
Why would that ever be included? We don't have a macro for shift+up, shift+down, or shift plus left, right, space, enter, backspace, etc. either. It's not like shift+tab is any more special than shift+anything else.

It's fairly common and even marked on most keyboards. It's not really less special than shift+1 for ! or shift+a for A, but far more useful than LWin and RWin, which we do have but they don't function in a way that's particularly useful. (Dream Seeker can detect a Win Key hit, but it looses focus as the OS reacts to it.) There are many keys in the available macro list that have questionable use.

There are some programs that add "untab" abilities using shift+tab, but that's the exception and not the rule.

Spreadsheets, databases, and web browsers commonly use it for navigation. More relevant to the general BYOND user, many games use it for targetting. (Typically tab targets the next enemy in view and shift+tab targets the previous.)

I say if you want to start doing things like this, it should be done by including built-in KeyUp/KeyDown functionality in Byond then you can check those to have shift plus whatever you want. That makes much more sense than adding a single macro for shift and one single key.

I agree wholeheartedly that BYOND needs KeyUp and KeyDown with access to shift, ctrl, alt, ins, caps lock, num lock and even scroll lock states. However that requires a hefty change in the Dream Seeker client and Tom hasn't given us the go ahead on it. Sadly it's not a high priority at the moment, though it is number 5 on my personal BYOND wishlist. ;) Adding another key or a dozen to the macro list should be simple and probably only take a few minutes.