ID:134698

Is it possible to make a version or emulation of Byond for the PSP?

I'd imagine it would be possible(unless there is something quirky about the way a PSP networks) however I wouldn't count on it ever happening. But I'm sure it owuld work out nicer on a DS anyway :P.
In response to Theodis
Theodis wrote:

I'd imagine it would be possible(unless there is something quirky about the way a PSP networks) however I wouldn't count on it ever happening. But I'm sure it owuld work out nicer on a DS anyway :P.

na, owning both, the PSP would be much better. wish byond was open source now :P.
In response to Xzar
You do realize this
A) Will NEVER happen.
B) Would be impossable to fit all of that BYOND stuff onto ONE small screen (The DS would be better, the top screen for the actual screen, the bottom for the statpanel)
But then where would the text box go? o_0
In response to Flame Sage
Small mode. Maybe just text mode. It would still look cool.
Well at least textbased or something. I just want a portable dreammaker.
In response to EGUY
B) Would be impossable to fit all of that BYOND stuff onto ONE small screen

Are you retarted? Have you see the PSP screen? Its not small at all.
In response to EGUY
Hey, I've lived with text mode for 3 long months, it's NOT fun. =(
Command Line based Apps are fun. And the DS would better for it no matter what you say. Touch Screen = Lots of buttons. Navigating menus with the DPad and buttons != fun.

But, unless the PSP's SDK is legal to use by everyone or the Home Brewed PSP SDK is just as good. It would result in BYOND having to go under ground to distribute the executables.

But, dont you think it would be smarter for them to work on BYOND it's self?
In response to XzDoG
XzDoG wrote:
B) Would be impossable to fit all of that BYOND stuff onto ONE small screen

Are you retarted? Have you see the PSP screen? Its not small at all.

What, are you retarted? The Sony PSP screen is like 50 times smaller then my monitor and I play all games on BIG Mode. The Sony PSP screen may be large for a HANDHELD system, that is supposed to be portable, but for a proper monitor or screen its crap.

Everything would have to be resized properly and everything would look micro sized, even on Byond Big Icon mode.

It will never happen for the Sony PSP. Maybe Nintendo DS, since there is a NDS Linux project. But it would still be sucky.
In response to Shades
retarted?

retarted?

Retarted? Very, very cute. ;-)
Yes, it is possible. The PSP has a Linux OS available. However, you will find that it would be rather impractical.
In response to Ter13
windows and the Mac as well :P, using Bochs or Basilisk II. here's the guide if anyone has the guts to try. http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1906894,00.asp
EGUY wrote:

Short answer: No.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
EGUY wrote:

Lummox JR

Long answer: ?
In response to Critical
If you wanted to expend lots of money and time and effort rewriting all of the BYOND software from scratch, then maybe. But it wouldn't be very usable on a mobile device.
In response to Critical
Critical wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:
EGUY wrote:

Lummox JR

I'm not Lummox JR, but I'll give it ago.

To make BYOND for the PSP, you would have to:
1. Rewrite the GUI aspects
2. Rewrite all socket and system API calls.
3. Get the Sony PSP SDK. Unless there is a decent legal one thats free, distribute the binarys on underground sources like xbins for the Xbox.(Would give BYOND a bad lable in the eyes of important people)

It would take way too long to port, and would be a waste of time. Time that could be spent bettering the *nix, mac and BSD versions of BYOND IMO
In response to Critical
Critical wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:
EGUY wrote:

Long answer: No. Duh!

In all seriousness, though, the reason you'll never see BYOND ported to a console is that it's basically designed for a platform with a keyboard. (And for a portable, remember BYOND is also geared toward multiplayer apps, and that's trickier on a device like that.) It's not designed to use console-style controls, and won't even react with the same FPS expected of those platforms.

I know people have been getting console-happy and think each new platform is half an inch short of perfect, but in reality game consoles are limited devices. Asking to port BYOND to a console is a lot like asking to port Microsoft Office there. While something like an XBox could probably run it, you'd really have to ask yourself what the point is.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Haha, I always try to tell my friends that, who are obsessed with consules, thinking they are the best. Computer is really the best, it has limitless potential(till of course, your computer crashes and burns XD, then u get a better one, and we start all over again.) They do make keyboards and mice for consules now, but if you are going to do that, JUST GET A COMPUTER FOR CHRIST'S SAKE! Seriously, a computer is better, and is a lot more useful. I've noticed that the XBOX (Dunno about 360) was trying to veer more towards a mini computer fashion, but a computer is always better, it can always get better than consules.
In response to Sniper Joe
ummm....maybe its a little out of place, but i have dream seeker on my nokia cellphone/computer. The screen is only 4 inches wide but its still fun to play it when im stuck on a plane for 4 hours.
Page: 1 2