ID:134812

Perhaps you can set a list of keys that are allowed to each project which can be edited, then ounce the other person gets the code he cannot start until he has verified his key into like something what of the BYOND.exe login box. But the thing is, the only person who can modify the list is the person who starts the project,. I think it would probaly let more people feel secure about opening up and sharing knowing it would be harder for someone who gets mad and then gets tons of people to distribute the code.
All they would need to do is copy-paste the code. Just wouldn't work out, too many ways around it. Neat idea, though.
In response to Kunark
I wish anyone who does that good luck on sorting that code out.... LOL
In response to Cheetoz
Think about it, people go into a games and take hundreds of screen shots capturing precise animation frames so they can convert the graphics to .dmi and use them in their own game.

I think I'd rather see better team distribution stuff. For instance the ability to make package options. So I could click "Package for artist" and it'll package everything the artist needs into a zip.
That way I could have four or five different packaging types, so each team member only gets the stuff they need to be able to do their job.
I doubt it'd ever get used, but it'd be pretty cool.
The best way to do that is to choose your friends wisely. If you're not contracting and paying team members (in which case you would have a legal option), you need to have guaranteed loyalty or else, by Murphy's law, eventually your material will be leaked and distributed.
In response to DarkView
DarkView wrote:
I think I'd rather see better team distribution stuff. For instance the ability to make package options. So I could click "Package for artist" and it'll package everything the artist needs into a zip.
That way I could have four or five different packaging types, so each team member only gets the stuff they need to be able to do their job.
I doubt it'd ever get used, but it'd be pretty cool.

You could organize your project to make that possible. For instance, one file declares all atoms and the artwork, other files are responsible for all the functionality. When you want your artists or mappers to work on something, you uncheck the implementation files and package the source.
In response to Cheetoz
Code files are text files. The only difference is their dm extension. Opening it in notepad will get you all the code perfectly.

Even if it did work, however, it would not solve the problem. So you give the project to person A and add A's key to those allowed to see it. If person A wants to send it to shady person B, all he has to do is extract the info he now has access to and remake the guarded file and not include the protection, then hand that over. If you are going to let someone view the code at all, there is no way to keep them from giving it out to others.
In response to Loduwijk
Which is why you should have it so that only the owner has the entire code.
Coder for City A does not need the code for City B.
Your Mappers only need the code that has the turfs listed and your icon artists probably need no code at all.
AMake it so that only you have the entire code and even if some of it gets leaked, hopefully it all won't.
In response to Jamesburrow
Jamesburrow wrote:
Which is why you should have it so that only the owner has the entire code.
Coder for City A does not need the code for City B.

then fire your coders if you are duplicating code for each city. what is better (in your example) is to have a city-coder, a monster-AI coder, etc.
In response to digitalmouse
digitalmouse wrote:
then fire your coders if you are duplicating code for each city. what is better (in your example) is to have a city-coder, a monster-AI coder, etc.

I know, but after being at school for 9 1/2 (I had Band practice :/) hours I don't like to think and just used the first example that came to mind