ID:135165

In dreamseeker when your loading a game, or downloading some source code it show the total file size in bytes.

In a newer version could this be changed to kilobytes or megabytes because its annoying doing the conversion by my self, and some people might not know how to convert them without a premade device.
In a newer version could this be changed to kilobytes or megabytes because its annoying doing the conversion by my self, and some people might not know how to convert them without a premade device.

I don't see the point.

Rule of threes: every three digits you count from the right, if there's a 1 in front, it goes up one category, from "-" to "kilo" to "mega" to "giga" (and then "tera", but that'd be the first person to ever make a game that big ;-)).

1345035 is easily recognisable as 1.3 megabytes (using the imprecise definition of 1000 bytes instead of 1024 bytes) at a glance. I count two sets of three, plus a one in front.

I could see dyslexic people having trouble with that, but with a primarily text-based environment like DM (BYOND's graphical engine is far inferior to its powerful scripting language and output routines), that disability will burn them in so many ways that one additional element like that would be unlikely to change any opinions.
In response to Spuzzum
I think BYOND should cater for disabled people!

Any company in England that doesn't adapt it's services and systems for such a cause gets fined!

Is Dantom a company? Is the law the same where Dantom is based?

In response to Elation
Dantom is based in California. And if people were fined for providing free services, they'd stop providing them.
In response to Elation
Elation wrote:
I think BYOND should cater for disabled people!

Any company in England that doesn't adapt it's services and systems for such a cause gets fined!

That's not the law anywhere that I know of. The law only states that you must make reasonable effort to cater to the needs of handicapped persons at a place of business -- a wheelchair ramp, and a rail. No one is required to make two sets of signs for colour-blind people, for instance.

To put it another way: dyslexia is a defect, not a legal handicap.
In response to Spuzzum
"To put it another way: dyslexia is a defect, not a legal handicap."

Descriminating now, are we?

:P

Sorry, only joking Spuzz.

I see what you mean.

But yeah, there's little point if someone can work out the difference.
I don't think its hard to tell 5 megabytes out of a 5,000,000 bytes or a 5,000 kb rsc file
In response to Vizuke
5000 KB is 4.88 MB. And 5000000 bytes is 4.77 MB

A kilobyte is 1024 bytes, a megabyte is 1024 kilobytes. It's not binary.
In response to Spuzzum
Perhaps it could simply insert commas between every group of three digits? Like this:

5,645,783 bytes

On the other hand, this really isn't a big deal, as Spuzz says. =)
In response to Elation
Elation wrote:
"To put it another way: dyslexia is a defect, not a legal handicap."

Descriminating now, are we?

I have defects of my own. ;-) Myopia (I strained my eyes by reading in the dark, so I need glasses) and a malformed skeleton (my sternum protrudes out a little farther than normal, making my ribcage follow a "}" shape instead of a ")" shape). But if I were to apply for disability, I'd get laughed at. =)
In response to Jp
That's the definition for people who actually care about the difference -- generally, assembly- or machine-level programmers. For most people, 1000 bytes = 1 kilobyte makes perfect sense, even though it's not the "legal" definition.
In response to Spuzzum
I know its not needed, but it would make BYOND look a little bit more newb friendly.
In response to Jp
Jp wrote:
A kilobyte is 1024 bytes, a megabyte is 1024 kilobytes. It's not binary.

At least until the IEC got their hands on it. A 1000 bytes is a kilobyte, and 1024 bytes is "kibibyte". The IEEE has recommended that we use k for kilo (1000) and K for kilo (1024). Just recommendations. (See Kilobyte and Kibibyte.)

Personally, I prefer that a KB kilobyte is 1024 bytes, and would like to see it stay that way. I know what I'm talking about, and if the normal person thinks that a KB is 1000 bytes, they're not too far off. Just some obscure info. I've never heard kibibyte used, and, I've always used kilobyte myself as 1024 bytes. (As far as I know, no major OS has adopted this.)

Although, if you've ever bought a hard drive, you'll notice that on the side, they have 1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes. (Using the 1000 bytes per KB gives you GB (you divide by less). However, if people _did_ use 1000 bytes per KB, it'd result in hard disk sizes being nasty numbers with decimal points. (For example, my 128MB flash disk would become a 134.217728MB flash disk under the 1000 rule.)
In response to Nova2000
Nova2000 wrote:
At least until the IEC got their hands on it. A 1000 bytes is a kilobyte, and 1024 bytes is "kibibyte". The IEEE has recommended that we use k for kilo (1000) and K for kilo (1024). Just recommendations. (See Kilobyte and Kibibyte.)

NOBODY pays attention to those recommendations. They're completely ridiculous. =P

Although, if you've ever bought a hard drive, you'll notice that on the side, they have 1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes. (Using the 1000 bytes per KB gives you GB (you divide by less). However, if people _did_ use 1000 bytes per KB, it'd result in hard disk sizes being nasty numbers with decimal points. (For example, my 128MB flash disk would become a 134.217728MB flash disk under the 1000 rule.)

My hard drive uses the 1 GB = 1,000,000,000 convention; it claims to be a 40GB drive, but it's really more like a 37.252902 GB drive (and then there's overhead from the filesystem).

Why do HDD manufacturers do this? It makes their hard drives look bigger. =P