Andromeda

by D4RK3 54B3R
Andromeda
Blast your friends away, trade your way to riches, and build your fame in this sandbox space game!
ID:1351820

To download: select the download zip option.
Dropbox doesn't seem to play nice with BYOND's hub system for automatically downloadding and running games.

Thanks To:

Dariuc for hosting the contest that motivated me to create this game.
XGenX for creating a hub icon even though I didn't ask for one.
Best vidya ever. Should've won first place!
Aboundingly promising. IMO groundbreaking compared to BYOND standards. Outreaching epitome of what BYOND programming can achieve. Really well done. Regardless of the outcome of the competition, I think this game really deserves the attention (& praise) of the BYOND community. Keep up the good work.

(Everything above is 100% true if you fix the bugs)
maybe look around byond more? you'd find more games that are "groundbreaking compared to byond standards" >.>. no need for people to keep repeating the same thing everytime a fairly nice game is done now, there are being, and have actually already been a number of good games -though not enough yet- getting released/made on byond... so lets try to not inadvertently 'knock it' so much all the time? O.o
Also i just got referred to this from a feed post from WANO i believe, so i'll have to wait to cast my judgement (overdramatic? :D) since it doesn't seem to be on right now... and btw how come the first line was crossed out (also why not just removed?) in your sort of credits section... did daruic actually not host the competition you were thinking about?
Welcome for the Hub Icon, I just love games like these and its the least I could do. You are welcome.
This game won every contest ever held. It's a lot of fun. If only more than 4 players could join in on the fun.
Looking forward to any updates and playing again in the future.
Dariuc wrote:
Hmm. Amazing. I see three dicks and a cheater.

Nobody wants to hear about your ex.
Can we please respect the fact that the comments here keep getting cleaned up? Stop making more :/
In response to Albro1
Albro1 wrote:
Can we please respect the fact that the comments here keep getting cleaned up? Stop making more :/

Thank you, Albro1. :)
No screenshots? Putting some up would be really helpful.
I just put up some screenshots and put up the game executables for download! Enjoy! :)
I set aside my life to work on the game. I worked on the game from dawn to dusk, at least 14 hours a day, nonstop.

On Saturday, I woke up at 1pm pst and worked on the game up until the deadline (streaming all the while). Thats 29 hours straight. I then proceeded to keep working on the game until about 4am Monday.

Suffice to say, I put >80 man hours into this game by the time the GiaW deadline was up.
It's been updated lots since the contest ended.

Balance is probably the thing that takes the most time to figure out. What do you think took the most time, D5?
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
It's been updated lots since the contest ended.

Balance is probably the thing that takes the most time to figure out. What do you think took the most time, D5?

I had almost no time during the GiaW period to figure out balance actually.

GUI and the collision physics took the most time during the GiaW development period. The ship outfitter also took a lot of time too (but that kind of counts as gui)
I ended up ditching my original plans for the collision physics and went for a very very simplified model.

[EDIT]: Some additional info:

All of the evaluation of the second order differential equation for position is done with the simple Euler's Method. I didn't think I needed RK4, and I was right.

The gameplay was actually very easy to implement compared to the GUI. The spaceflight uses byond's built in pixel movement, with step_x and step_y. Ship damage took a bit of time but wasn't too difficult still.

Missions also turned out to be much easier to implement than I had anticipated. They took very little time to implement.

I might have spent too much time adding the engine effects. The engine effects ended up taking up a good 6 to 8 hours, if not more, to implement and debug.
I have to say, while I'm not very good, this is a very good game. BYOND definitely needs more games of this caliber. Well done once again, D4RK3. (:
hmm i guess my cleaned up message was more so in the way of 'colleteral damage' of sorts? .. also it feels like my question/response was mis-understood but eh... oh well.

Now to play the game!
In response to Turboskill
I think 'collateral' is the word you were looking for. Sorry, the way you spelled it annoyed me. Lol.
Eve online.
Page: 1 2