ID:135221

I was thinking about getting a person or two together and gathering all kinds of links to zeta sources/ zeta games we found on the byond hub. They would either be games we played and were rips or games that are called zeta yet have no download link. (For these we would find ones that had been around the hub for a long time and are just wasting space.) Anyways, I was wondering if I were to do this would it just be a waste of time or if I sent them to a byond admin would they be deleted? Because it would save alot of hub space and also it would narrow down searches to maybe help people find what they are looking for rather than a bunch of zeta games.
Why need a team? I did it and I got like 15 games that were active at the time. I'm not sure if they did anything but I can't find those games anymore...just send it to the byond support thing and see what happens.
Majinveku wrote:
I was thinking about getting a person or two together and gathering all kinds of links to zeta sources/ zeta games we found on the byond hub. They would either be games we played and were rips or games that are called zeta yet have no download link. (For these we would find ones that had been around the hub for a long time and are just wasting space.) Anyways, I was wondering if I were to do this would it just be a waste of time or if I sent them to a byond admin would they be deleted? Because it would save alot of hub space and also it would narrow down searches to maybe help people find what they are looking for rather than a bunch of zeta games.

It'd be a waste of time for all concerned. Best not to worry about it.

Lummox JR
In response to N1ghtW1ng
i see majin idea....theres a lot of games zeta like that are neverplayed and just waste space in byond....mind you....get an byond admin to go with the idea before you start the search...i know alot of games like that where you cant d/l and play....get a badmin to help and il help ya guys.....sides i search dbz rips... all the games DBZ related didnt have a download....and when it says soon to come...and the hub date is 2001....what a waste
at first the almost near 90 pages of zeta games got me angry. but after a while, youll see that byond is like an ice cream store, and zeta games are all the falvors. they're good because they're so subtly different that at times there actually is no difference. ok, jk irl, but seriouslly, i think it has an ok permise that could be fun, but theres never any forsight given as to playing the game past 2 hours. in literally every game, you can pwn the entire server if you "train" for 2 hours. also, thers not really any reward save for the pwnage you incur when you get ssj whatever. besides, it seems that "gm's" ban you for mass pwning, so all in all the games seem rather pointless and shallow, which in a way is like ice cream....?
In response to CloudMCStrife
No, the games aren't fun. And plus, this isn't the real reason it's so bad: as was pointed out, hub entres from ages ago state "This is the best game on BYOND", with no download link.

I think Lummox has "something planned", if he tells us not to worry about it.
In response to Elation
oh yeah thats true. i'd say about 1/3 of them are just links to nothing at all.
All my (EX) creations are available on Kujila.com, but I do not allow people (IE, the HUB) to directly hotlink to my site.

My bandwidth is preshusssss...

~Kujila
In response to Elation
I have the feeling they are going to clear the entire hub pretty soon, at least everything that's not in the publication channels... Of course, I could be wrong, but seeing as Lummox is the mysterious being he is, we'll know soon enough. Or we won't.

I'm not so much worried about empty hub entries as I am all that wasted space from banners and animated hub icons... Which given the size of BYOND, could actually be fairly large.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
I have the feeling they are going to clear the entire hub pretty soon, at least everything that's not in the publication channels... Of course, I could be wrong, but seeing as Lummox is the mysterious being he is, we'll know soon enough. Or we won't.

I doubt it.
In response to Crispy
Crispy wrote:
Ter13 wrote:

I doubt it.

Cant anyone give a straight answer?
In response to Critical
The straight answer is that a) you are probably reading too much into things, or b) you watch too many conspiracy theory stuff on tv.

:p

In response to digitalmouse
What does conspiracy theory have to do with it?

That's the best method to removal of old and dead hub entries. Anything without a download link... GONE! Anything that hasn't been accessed or updated that isn't published, GONE! There are probably a thousand or more hub entries that need removal due to unfinishedness and lack of a link. --And I'd note that almost none are in publication channels...
In response to Ter13
I'd only do it if they're over 1 year old.
In response to Elation
Nope, I can say quite certainly that there is nothing planned.

We're talking maybe 200KB of wasted space on those entries.

"Oh no! My precious, precious kilobytes!"

;-)
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Anything without a download link... GONE!

Chatters doesn't have a download link...

Nor does MLAAS.

If this became an issue, (which I don't think it has), I'm guessing something along the lines of anything with no link, that hasn't been either hosted or had its hub entry accessed for a year could be removed. But again, I don't think it's necessary at this point.
I think the best thing for BYOND would be to deleted roughly 99% of the DBZ games here. It's one thing to have a few good games that are similiar/rips of each other, but it's another to have dozens, maybe hundreds, of barely edited zeta/mm/whatever rips that are 'made' by people who can't even spell, let alone code.
In response to Nathandx82
There should be some sort of hub pruner that deletes any and all entries that haven't been hosted for X months. Most of these mentioned rips are identified and duly ignored soon after their registration. Most rips are destined to fail, and when they're all gone you only see maybe ten games instead of ten thousand.
In response to Mobius Evalon
You could use a system that prunes any hub entries with "rip" in.

I've seen so many rips that openly admit they are rips BUT ARE UPDATIN SONN HONERST
In response to Elation
Elation wrote:
You could use a system that prunes any hub entries with "rip" in.

I've seen so many rips that openly admit they are rips BUT ARE UPDATIN SONN HONERST

Or, you all could stop groping & stop beating the dead horse...digitalmouse, Lummox, and countless other byond admins had stated many times that it's not of major concern at this time - yes, it's annoying; but, it's even more annoying to see these same posts popup every week with the same people posting the same ideas. I hope a mod closes this soon.
Page: 1 2