ID:135385

I'd like it if BYOND had better support for reading other kinds of file formats. I don't mean BYOND having to support every format a user suggests, but better tools for people to program their own code to read files.

Right now the only way I can think of reading in a non-BYOND file format would involve using file2text, which doesn't really work for that kind of thing.
Is their any chance of getting procedures that can do things like get specific bytes from a file, as numbers?
I support this!
In response to CaptFalcon33035
Me too, this would be awesome.
Jon88 wrote:

Right now the only way I can think of reading in a non-BYOND file format would involve using file2text, which doesn't really work for that kind of thing.
Is their any chance of getting procedures that can do things like get specific bytes from a file, as numbers?

As a work around you could write some code in a C based language, write the output to a file and look it up with BYOND, but that's not exactly easy or very practical.
This is definitly one of the drawbacks to using BYOND. BYOND's well suited for text manipulation: it's easy-to-use interpretive nature allows the programmer to think more about the text and less about his code; so I'd support more options for importing different file types in BYOND natively.