ID:135577

Yes, I know that only one turf can occupy one location at a single time, so the others are added to their underlays. But, what I'm asking is for the underlying turfs to keep their compile-time directions. So, if I have a top turf that has a SOUTHWEST direction, but a underlying one with NORTH, at run-time, it gets converted to SOUTHWEST as well. I know I could just easily make new turfs for each direction, but then what would be the point of having that nifty "New Instance" in the map editor?
Do you mean that you want all underlays to have their directions changed to match the object they are attached to? If so, try this:
world/New()
for(var/turf/T)
if(T.underlays)
var/image/I
var/underlays_len=T.underlays.len
for(var/index=1,index<=underlays_len,index+=1)
I=T.underlays[1]
T.underlays-=I
I=image(I.icon,T,I.icon_state,I.layer,T.dir)
T.underlays+=I
In response to Loduwijk
I think so, but that seems a little processor intensive to me, that's why I'm pushing for a BYOND fix on it.
In response to Goku72
It would be for large worlds, but only at startup. Also, some people might not want all their turf underlays to be changed by default. It would be best to have it as an optional parameter. Perhaps a world variable or something in the options menu.
So, is this a possible new feature, or do the costs outweigh the benefits? =\
In response to Goku72
It's probably better for the whole overlay/underlay-taking-on-atom's-dir thing to be consistent. But yeah, the "multiple" turfs on space system is kinda messed up. =)

Seeing as turfs never move, couldn't you just use icon states instead of directions to get the effect you want?
In response to Crispy
Well, what I'm doing is making buildings using different angles, and stuff. I could make a new turf for each direction, but - that'd get messy and I feel it's inefficient. Because, after all, BYOND already has that nifty, "Generate Instances from Directions", so why not use it? =P
In response to Goku72
Yeah, okay, but couldn't you just use "Generate instances from icon states" instead?
In response to Crispy
Hmmm... *cough* >.> Still, it'd be nice to have that function so we don't have to well...make all the same icon state multiple except different directions.