ID:136029

If it were possible, it'd be great if we could specify a "mouse_active_state" variable for atomic objects. By default, the 'mouse_active_state' variable would be set to "over", so as to duplicate the exact functionality that is in place already.

You don't always want all objects with mouse_over_pointer set to MOUSE_ACTIVE_POINTER to highlight in the same way... by being able to specify different mouse-over states for different objects, you could use a single client.mouse_pointer_icon without having to specify images for specific atoms and all of that nonsense.

I know I didn't explain that well, so if you're in a position of power, I can try to dissect the gist of it for you.
I'd just like to have mouse_over_pointer to take an icon_state assignment, instead of just an true/false type of check...

That way, whatever object you set mouse_over_pointer on, you can just assign it the proper pointer right off as an icon_state from your pointer icon...

I really wanted to do this in Murder Mansion... I had wanted to make it so I could change the pointer to a red "X" or something of that nature when you click on an object that you can't use (if you're too far away, busy, etc) but I quickly discovered that mouse_over_pointer couldn't be used to assign different pointers...only as a true/false switch to display only one alternate pointer icon_state...

In fact, when I was first putting it in, I hadn't read through the reference closely enough, and all of my mouse_over_pointer's are followed by: = "over" (when I now suppose the proper syntax is to just set it to 1 or 0)...