Your discussion of accountability has essentially nothing to do with game developers though. They are accountable primarily to themselves, and to whomever they decide they would like to be accountable to, like say ... a target market.

SSGX's point, and I agree with, is that if a developer decides their game simply just has to conform to how they want to design it, or to the design conventions a group of 12 year olds would like to see, but such a design is very poor, ill considered etc, then ... ultimately, that's their choice and there's nothing anyone else can do about that.

That's the premise. For many developers on BYOND, they are young, they are accountable to their young (and sadly often not entirely formed yet) conceptions of how their game should be, and accountable to their target market of other young people, who's conceptions come from what comes before, regardless of the intrinsic quality of those games.
Dariuc wrote:
I've never suggested forcing anything upon anyone.
I suggested making people accountable for what they do.

But here's the problem. The BYOND "community" is contained in several parts. The only part of that which is accountable to the staff/site are those few of us who use these forums.

And! The only actions that any forum users can be held accountable for are moderation-worthy offenses. They can't be held accountable for "not making a good game" or "not finishing anything" or "not marketing properly/fully", or whatever else they ultimately need to do.

Sure, the BYOND staff can cull out people who are abusive to others (and I feel that they do a good/fair job on that front), but they can't step in and say "you're not being positive enough" or "you're not contributing in the way we need you to contribute".

But regardless, how we interact here has very little to do with what any of us are doing in Dream Maker. And that's where the change needs to take place. And again, that can't be moderated.

You've encountered a lot of static on these forums (mostly because you rub people the wrong way; I suspect some sort of social challenges? Aspergers, perhaps? I hate to be that rude/presumptive, but you come across as not really "fitting in" with social norms; and this is likely the largest source of all of the crap you've been getting), so obviously you see it as a much bigger problem than it truly is.

Fixing the forums will not fix BYOND. Sure, it can't hurt, but it's not going to change our userbase, it's not going to get great games created and released, it's not going to get people to market their games to the right crowds outside of BYOND, etc.

The thing is, I agree with just about everything you say in this post. I just understand that virtually none of it can be fixed through BYOND staff intervention, which is what you always come across as suggesting.
SSGX Wrote:

I just understand that virtually none of it can be fixed through BYOND staff intervention, which is what you always come across as suggesting.

Largely, I agree with you SSGX. I think the majority of the problems with BYOND can be solved through actions the developers can choose to take themselves.

1) Avoid advertising your game to BYOND's existing audience; attract your own from the wider internet. (This means make a game that makes sense to the general gaming community, and doesn't follow what other BYOND games do.)

2) Completely ignore excessively negative behavior. We can learn a lot from Phil Fish. A lot of the posts I linked earlier in the thread had dual purposes. Take a look at my "buck up cowboy" lectures about dealing with criticism, and the difference between "negativity" and "trolling".

At some point, BYOND users are going to have to learn to put on their big boy britches if they want to develop games. There will be a lot of needless hate directed at them that they just need to learn to deal with, ignore, or come out the better for.

This community-wide "I need an adult" behavior, every time someone criticizes you or your idea, I think is endemic of the neutering of children in my age group, personally, living in a society where a schoolyard fight or bullying results in legal charges. People of my age group and below have rarely been taught to deal with interpersonal situations on their own, and have always been told to go tell someone else immediately. What happens when this generation are grown-ass adults? Who do we go run and tell to protect us from the rest of the world?

There are dozens of other things that I agree need to change, but I think if the community were to have a little bit more of a "stiff upper lip", and try to pander not to the existing audience, but target an outside audience to GROW the BYOND community instead of just take advantage of it, we'd be moving in the right direction.
In response to The Magic Man
The Magic Man wrote:
And this game, with all this effort put into it, has no one playing it at my time of posting this. And is beaten in popularity by 2 other games that don't put in a fraction of the effort shown in this game.

Well then, this hurts mentally. :(

In response to Aaronland
Aaronland wrote:
The Magic Man wrote:
And this game, with all this effort put into it, has no one playing it at my time of posting this. And is beaten in popularity by 2 other games that don't put in a fraction of the effort shown in this game.

Well then, this hurts mentally. :(

I think, to respond to the Magic Man's commentary on what the BYOND community expects out of the game, is to ignore what BYOND wants and find a target community outside of BYOND to attract to your game, and not necessarily to make games for the people already here.

I wasn't talking about negativity or hated. Because that isn't the topic. Developers making certain design choices (bad ones, you'd presume, that mean their games lack wider market appeal) is the topic. I was talking about that. You know, the topic.
Two games that found success outside of BYOND: SS13, and NEStalgia

All three avoided use of verb panels for the most part. They avoided what the majority of BYOND games do. AND they were advertised outside of the BYOND community. (which is rare)

It didn't matter that the community surrounding them within BYOND utterly HATED the developers of these games, and the playerbase of these games. They were still quite successful.

Largely, they were successful because of the majority of the existing BYOND player community completely rejecting them and belittling their creators on the forums.

Let's be honest here, we can call your baby pretty all we want to. It's still going to be an ugly baby. The problem with BYOND's audience is that it is here because of free, bad games, where they can get the highest score easily, due to the low number of players, and due to the low playerbase, be a "known" player in their private little "MMO". This is where a lot of the negativity comes from --the fact that many people are just plain pandering to the wrong audience.

If you community spends all of it's time fighting each other, nothing gets done. If the community spends all of it's time bickering, and staying divided, or arguing- when people approach said community they leave.

@Dariuc: We're not bickering right now. We're all just discussing why BYOND games are the way they are. We just all have differing opinions on what the root cause is. You feel like the negativity is needless and stifles the good games. We feel like the negativity is based in the fact that developers pander to the wrong crowd, which largely needs to be excised by refusing to accommodate their backwardness.
You need to start seeing other people's point of view better.
What he's discussed, is the fact that what is done, is of questionable quality. That has nothing to do with negativity or hatred, and a lot to do with the developer's design decisions. Like the design decision to use a means of displaying actions in a UI that reminds me of accounting software.

That kind of decision, has nothing to do with the community, and everything to do with the developer's design choices. Most developers don't spazz out and throw away a game in alpha because a person said a mean thing.

They leave it in alpha because it's reached the "workable" threshold, of literally just about working, and their expectations of what follows is not realistic ("Why is no-one playing it?"), they have worn interest in the idea ("Can't be bothered to do the next bit"), their scope was too large in the first place ("I'm going to make an MMO / Open world RPG with complex systems" brings very high failure rates in all indie development communities, but is a favoured genre choice on BYOND) yadda yadda yadda.

A person saying a mean thing about their game is very low on the ordering, and a person saying a mean thing to them unrelated to their game at all on these forums, lower still. Sufficiently, that it's a whole other topic of discussion, unrelated to why the games we have on the hub are bad.
Dariuc wrote:
I completely understand his point of view.
He's saying that I have no relevance.
I'm saying- it does, because it's all linked together. You can't really say it's not.

But it isn't.

Not to toot my own horn, but I have a pretty decent little game under my belt (which I intend to keep improving until it is ready for the "world" outside of BYOND, and then trying to market it to that outside world)

And you know something? I've done it all without any negative influence from the crap that goes on in this community. The negativity around these forums (which really isn't that bad to begin with, and usually limited to a few bad apples) has had no detrimental impact on my development of my game.

The quality of this site and the people on it does not matter to the quality of game I (or anyone else) can create. It's irrelevant.

Well, as long as the developer doesn't let it bother them, of course. But again, this comes back on the developer.
Check out the unity community.

This is a great example, actually, Dariuc, one I thought of just after leaving my last post to go have a cigarette.

Largely, it's because Unity's community is there to support the tool. BYOND's community is hopelessly interlinked with the tool.

This can, however, be circumvented, merely by using as little of the community as possible, and making solid games.

Notice how Unity games tend to conform to modern gameplay expectations of what a mainstream playerbase actually wants?

Nearly everyone I've come across there completely friendly, and helpful.

I participate in the Unity community. I know C#, Boo, and Uscript, and I know CG, HLSL and GLSL. I enjoy the community as well, but largely, the community doesn't try to be self-contained, and advertises to a wider, more mainstream userbase, so the constant infighting isn't a problem. People come in, people leave. If we had a more mainstream developer audience, and a more viable platform with which to get some of the air circulating in here, I'm sure this would be the case with BYOND.

But you'll also notice the average age of the Unity community is in the 30s. Here, it's half that. --You have in the past ripped on people for being "too old" to be here, and that's part of the problem.
Yeah, I've got to agree that the community has absolutely no relevance to the games. It is entirely on the developers. If they don't like the community, then reject it entirely. You are not here to please them. You are not here to advertise to them. You are here to make a good game. You are here to advertise outside of here. You are here to please those outsiders. Who cares about the community?

That's not to say that our community is perfect (I don't think I suggested that, but I want to be clear), but trying to solve this problem by fixing the community is not the right place to start. It would be like setting out to go to Narnia but making sure to check under your bed and in your bathroom before you check the wardrobe.
Or maybe, perhaps, advertising good games outside of BYOND will bring in more people, who want to make games. An influx like that is bound to make a positive impression on the community itself.

I haven't said that you should stop talking or that you don't know what you are talking about. I addressed your point - and it is a valid one - but I stated that I don't see it at the top of the priorities list. I'm not attacking you.
BYOND needs games that appeal to people outside of BYOND, rather than people within BYOND, simple as that. There's always going to be the problem of massive external playerbases (ie the majority of SS13 players) wanting nothing to do with BYOND itself.

I mean, hell, the creator of DayZ hosts his own SS13 server, but we don't see that kind of activity here on the site.
In response to Doohl
Doohl wrote:
I mean, hell, the creator of DayZ hosts his own SS13 server, but we don't see that kind of activity here on the site.

I don't think that's a problem. at all. We just need a couple more games to have playerbases that aren't a part of the community so that Tom and Lummox can justify monetizing the BYONDexe or Flash Client, or some type of micropayment tie-in.
Pokemon Atom has been advertised on a few websites so far. The responses are amazing and from the number of comments,fav and people offering their help, I see the game getting around 40+ players from outside so far. (I advertised on 3 websites)

I do plan on advertising efficiently when the game is ready. The lack of player when its up (10-15 players), is simply due to the fact that the game has no maps beside 3 towns. The game gets around 30-40 players and they all log out after finishing the first badge and completing their first task in the story-line.

I do believe...and HOPE that the game is going to get more players when it's officialy released and stable. As for it's ranking on BYOND. I don't know how BYOND's ranking works but all these games above me have more fans and that is...because they're online. Maybe when the game will officialy be up, the number of fans will increase?

We'll see.
Pretty much Ter13 I think once more quality games come from this site, BYOND will flourish.
SSX and Ter 13 are both right!
This is also the reason why I'll stick up with how the game currently is and won't change any of the formulas nor the battle.

If you look outside of BYOND, the number of Pokemon MMORPG isn't that high. I know of 2 and both follow the exact GBA story-line. I'm sure many people would love to see a new pokemon mmo with a new story-line and more generations in 1 game.
In response to Kidpaddle45
Kidpaddle45 wrote:
SSX and Ter 13 are both right!
This is also the reason why I'll stick up with how the game currently is and won't change any of the formulas nor the battle.

If you look outside of BYOND, the number of Pokemon MMORPG isn't that high. I know of 2 and both follow the exact GBA story-line. I'm sure many people would love to see a new pokemon mmo with a new story-line and more generations in 1 game.

i didn't even post anything here besides for "drugz"
wat
That's what you get for trying to copy my name...lol
Page: 1 2 3 4