ID:136199

First off, let me clear up that the college does allow us to play games on campus lab computers. It's definitely not against school policy if there isn't a line to use the computers.

One major problem I've had with BYOND is that it requires 'installation' that involves registry changes, both of which don't work with the lab computers because I don't have Administrator-level access, I'm just a user. Installshield is blocked from functioning. However, there are other installers that do work at the regular user access level under Windows XP (which is what the machines are running). There may be some things that don't work, registry changes being one of them, but they don't automatically end if they run into a problem, unlike InstallShield. Please release a version that can work in this situation.
Ryuujin wrote:
First off, let me clear up that the college does allow us to play games on campus lab computers. It's definitely not against school policy if there isn't a line to use the computers.

One major problem I've had with BYOND is that it requires 'installation' that involves registry changes, both of which don't work with the lab computers because I don't have Administrator-level access, I'm just a user. Installshield is blocked from functioning. However, there are other installers that do work at the regular user access level under Windows XP (which is what the machines are running). There may be some things that don't work, registry changes being one of them, but they don't automatically end if they run into a problem, unlike InstallShield. Please release a version that can work in this situation.

You'll need to get permission to 'install' it (have the administrator logon and 'install' it for you), and i doubt schools would allow it because of minor profanity...
In response to Wolf01
After I posted this message, I installed BYOND to a computer, then copied it (without downloading anything yet using it) to my FTP space in a ZIP file. I then copied the ZIP file to a lab computer and unzipped it into its own directory. Lo and behold, BYOND is running just fine. Having to retrieve my key is just a minor thing that doesn't bother me, and hosting isn't something I really need to do either (the downloaded files aren't saved since the BYOND directory is wiped out when I log off).

I'd like to request a .ZIP of BYOND for those people with installation problems. Other free programs come in both .EXE self-extracting and .ZIP flavors, mainly for NT users who don't have administrative access.
In response to Ryuujin
Ryuujin wrote:

I'd like to request a .ZIP of BYOND for those people with installation problems. Other free programs come in both .EXE self-extracting and .ZIP flavors, mainly for NT users who don't have administrative access.

Good suggestion. We'll try to make that happen for future updates if we can't get the main installer to work for all cases. The current Installshield script is pretty old and I'm sure not up to par with some of the better (and pricier) installation setups out there. If we can ever afford it, I'd like to look into those. There's really no reason that BYOND shouldn't be installable on WinNT, because the registry changes should only affect the active account.
In response to Tom
Nullsoft has a free, and open-source, installer system (NSIS- Nullsoft SuperPiMP|Scriptable Install System). If you've installed WinAmp, you've seen it. You might want to look into using it:
http://www.nullsoft.com/free/nsis/

-AbyssDragon
In response to AbyssDragon
Thanks, i needed that for some mods for a game. That should help me out a bit.