ID:136299

It would be very nice if the "pixel_step_size" var effected text-mode, this would really help me out in my upcoming rouge-like-wannabe.
Nadrew wrote:
It would be very nice if the "pixel_step_size" var effected text-mode, this would really help me out in my upcoming rouge-like-wannabe.

Roguelikes never had smooth movement anyway, so I'm not sure I see much point on those grounds.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
It would really help on the world map, the map is 300x300, but each landmass is smaller than a normal town, and it would look really nice (and bigger) if I could use pixel_step_size with a movement delay.
In response to Nadrew
I still don't see the point -- if you want to make a roguelike with smooth graphical movement, then it's not a roguelike, it's a graphical game. =P

What I do really demand is to make the font Courier (or Terminal) and to automatically centre the text within the tile.

It looks absolutely horrid when the proportional characters are flushed left in the tile. It simply must be monospace. =P
In response to Spuzzum
That would be nice.

(I'm still calling myself an idiot for requesting graphical options for a text-based game)
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
That would be nice.

(I'm still calling myself an idiot for requesting graphical options for a text-based game)

You can, of course, make a roguelike-alike. That is, use graphics, but use graphics of letters (like Deadron did for the first incarnation of Living and Dead). ;-)

Actually, I think this was brought up before.

(Heh, I saw your other post before you deleted it! ;-P)
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:
You can, of course, make a roguelike-alike. That is, use graphics, but use graphics of letters (like Deadron did for the first incarnation of Living and Dead). ;-)

But, I don't want to, I want to show everyone some of the cool tricks I've learned with text-mode ;).

(Heh, I saw your other post before you deleted it! ;-P)

What are you talking about?
In response to Nadrew
And besides, you can't run it on linux if you use graphics.
In response to Triste
Triste wrote:
And besides, you can't run it on linux if you use graphics.

You could if you used Wine or WineX.

And I think it would be neat to make a Rogue-alike with graphic and pixel based smooth movement...
In response to digitalmouse
You could *cough* draw all the icons as text and fake it. =P
In response to Hanns
That is what they've been talking about.
In response to digitalmouse
Seems to wedge tight pretty randomly using wine
In response to Spuzzum
What I do really demand is to make the font Courier (or Terminal) and to automatically centre the text within the tile.

It looks absolutely horrid when the proportional characters are flushed left in the tile. It simply must be monospace. =P

Agreed. I hate the font, and the alignment. Monospaced is needed, and I wonder why it hasn't been implemented.... >:/

But I wouldn't choose Courier. Go with Terminal. Terminal has several characters that would fit byond... they look like lines... start charmap and see for yourself.
In response to Nova2000
The reason I specified Courier is because most monospace projects that aren't DOS-based use Courier as the native font. I mentioned Terminal as an aside because Terminal duplicates the DOS-native font, providing access to special characters that are present in DOS-based games.