ID:136319

I'd like to see a proc that you give two sets of pixel coordinates and draws a line on the client's screen. Using screen objects can be pretty slow.
OneFishDown wrote:
I'd like to see a proc that you give two sets of pixel coordinates and draws a line on the client's screen. Using screen objects can be pretty slow.

Personally I think this needs to be built eventually into a more adaptable drawing system. Right now DS relies exclusively on atoms, but there's really no reason the drawing system has to be forever limited to them; the way DS uses essentially portable code, it wouldn't be terribly difficult to designate a proc as the client screen-drawing algorithm and have the engine analyze it for the vars it needs in order to draw. However, this sort of thing should probably be reserved for a later version.

It'd be really cool if this was possible, though. With wireframe or metafile graphics one could do an awful lot of great games using the power of DM.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
This woula slo allow for much better interfaces to be drawn for the screen with the objects just being used as placeholders. Your right this would open up many possibilities.
In response to Lummox JR
My w-- er, net dream is to see BYOND using a graphical system not unlike that of Shockwave Flash -- vector-based graphics, free and unrestricted scaling, stretching, translucency, heightmaps (i.e. part A of this icon will show up beneath other icons, but part B of this icon will show up above other icons), line-drawing, polygon-drawing, text on the map, pseudo-3D, etc.