In response to EmpirezTeam
It's been said before and now again but no one really takes notice of it.

I completely agree with you especially the rot on the hub part :)
Just look at how made up programming terms like "iconner" have managed to survived on BYOND for the last 15 years or so through generation after generation of anime game developers.

It's sort of a testament to the fact that people on this site rarely like to change how they do things. Most developers around here probably find the concept of outside advertising to be the most ridiculous notion ever. Their time is way better spent showing off naked bald men that they draw. "CHECK OUT MAH SWEET BASE GUISE!"
To be fair, for every one game worth showing off to people outside of BYOND, there is about 10,000 that are not. Also, if I were to show something I made with BYOND to other people, I'd do everything in my power to make sure they didn't know I used BYOND to make it and would be embarrassed if they found out I did.

Maaaan. Why didn't I stick with Game Maker all those years ago?
In response to Jaredoggy
Jaredoggy wrote:
Just look at how made up programming terms like "iconner" have managed to survived on BYOND for the last 15 years or so through generation after generation of anime game developers.

It's sort of a testament to the fact that people on this site rarely like to change how they do things. Most developers around here probably find the concept of outside advertising to be the most ridiculous notion ever. Their time is way better spent showing off naked bald men that they draw. "CHECK OUT MAH SWEET BASE GUISE!"

This is pretty much exactly what makes me pull my hair out when I see the hate thrown at anybody who does something right.

The fact that someone makes something successful on BYOND is often followed by relentless and unreasonable hatred foamed out by a crowd who merely accuse the creator of ripping off X mainstream ideas from Y games.

Yet, those who tend to spew such frothy and backward complaints most often can be found busily getting behind every single game that's doing exactly the wrong things in exactly the same way that every other game around here is doing them.

2014 is going to be a good year to be on BYOND. The winds of change are a'comin. This year's been great for us, and every single hint of what's coming I see is looking better and better.
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Anyway, this is where you rub it in the faces of all those retards who kept making "DONT PLAY THIS GAME, THE DEVELOPERS WILL BAN YOU AND TAKE YUR MONEYZ" threads in the Greenlight discussions. I suggest making an announcement video with this playing in the background. I find it hilarious all that effort was put into trying to make this game fail and it succeeded anyway.

Stephen001 wrote:
Possibly do this at the end
http://1.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/60/42/ bc8a664b6c16415f913fc99da27c6c29-dropmic1.gif

Yeah, it's super tempting to make a big show of rubbing it in, but some of those guys are psychotic. The last thing that I want to do is push one of them over the edge and end up with a crazy person showing up outside my front door.

Those of them who weren't crazy knew that what they were doing was deceitful and malicious, and I always knew that I had done nothing wrong. They probably never reasonably expected to prevent NEStalgia from getting on Steam - they just wanted to lash out at me and make me suffer for having the audacity to stand up to them.

These types of vicious attacks and campaigns of intimidation are actually becoming a major problem for the industry. Here is a great article on the subject that everyone should check out: http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/15/4622252/ plague-of-game-dev-harassment-erodes-industry-spurs-support- groups

EmpirezTeam wrote:
I didn't realize Silk still had interest in going forward with NEStalgia, I thought he dropped development to go work on that other T.V. project he had going.

I've had plenty of interest in NEStalgia, just not much available time to work on the game. Last September I started a new job that monopolized most of my time - a job that I coincidentally just finished on Tuesday this week. I've started up my own film production company with my own client base, and so I'm in complete control of my schedule moving forward. I even have a nice new little office downtown here in Bellingham, so I'm totally set to dive back into NEStalgia development again.

The truth is that I was going to start spending a lot of time working on the game again anyway. The timing of this announcement is just an incredible bonus.
These types of vicious attacks and campaigns of intimidation are actually becoming a major problem for the industry. Here is a great article on the subject that everyone should check out: http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/15/4622252/ plague-of-game-dev-harassment-erodes-industry-spurs-support- groups

No they're not, and you're an idiot for believing these kinds of websites. I could go on for weeks about why it's wrong, but I'll just keep it short and simple. These websites are click bait. They exist to get people like you to click on them, so when the ads they have plastered all over them load they get money. The article it's self is poorly written, full of blatant lies, bias and basically written to get saps to give them money.
In response to Silk Games
Sounds not entirely different to what usually comes out of being a moderator here, only you've got a much wider audience and it shouldn't really be part of your remit to have to deal with that.

Still, you're greenlit now, and that's great news. Depending how free and legally able you will be to speak about it, would you be willing to pop up a blog post somewhere or other about your experiences in "what happens after being greenlit" in the future? It would make pretty interesting reading, I think.
In response to SilencedWhisper
SilencedWhisper wrote:
Looks interesting. Spending money doesn't guarantee success though but I wish him the best.

You need to spend money to make money.

Ter13 wrote:
This is pretty much exactly what makes me pull my hair out when I see the hate thrown at anybody who does something right.

The fact that someone makes something successful on BYOND is often followed by relentless and unreasonable hatred foamed out by a crowd who merely accuse the creator of ripping off X mainstream ideas from Y games.

Yet, those who tend to spew such frothy and backward complaints most often can be found busily getting behind every single game that's doing exactly the wrong things in exactly the same way that every other game around here is doing them.

2014 is going to be a good year to be on BYOND. The winds of change are a'comin. This year's been great for us, and every single hint of what's coming I see is looking better and better.

They are just haters. They will hate on anything that is successful. Anything and everything that gets recognition is going to have people spouting nonsense about it. It comes with the territory.
polygon.com?

Really? Are you serious?
The link 404s for me.
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
Still, you're greenlit now, and that's great news. Depending how free and legally able you will be to speak about it, would you be willing to pop up a blog post somewhere or other about your experiences in "what happens after being greenlit" in the future? It would make pretty interesting reading, I think.

Yup, I'll definitely do this. Yesterday I signed an NDA so there are some details that won't be able to talk about, but there will still be a lot to tell I'm sure.

Jp wrote:
The link 404s for me.

Weird, the forum keeps putting a random space in the url. Maybe doing it this way will work: Link
In response to Silk Games
Silk Games wrote:
Jp wrote:
The link 404s for me.

Weird, the forum keeps putting a random space in the url. Maybe doing it this way will work: Link

That works. Thanks!
Page: 1 2