ID:137077

I need to get some datapoints. When you "join" a game through the hub (either with the "run", "login", or "join" links), does it automatically launch DS, or does it popup a box asking for confirmation? It's supposed to do everything automatically, but I've noticed that on one of my machines (running IE 5.5 and Netscape 5.x) it gives the annoying popup and doesn't even allow me to override it. (the override is grayed out). Is anyone else having this problem? I won't investigate further if I'm the only anomally.
I always get that annoying popup, unless joining from he browser in DS.
I get the popup, I'm using IE 6 ( I think it's a Microsoft thing).
For those of you getting the popup, does it have a checkbox underneath ("Always ask..") that is inexplicably checked and grayed out?
Tom wrote:
I need to get some datapoints. When you "join" a game through the hub (either with the "run", "login", or "join" links), does it automatically launch DS, or does it popup a box asking for confirmation?

I get the popup, with greyed out override checkbox.
I used to, but then I finally figured out how to disable it. On WinNT in a folder/Explorer window, I went to View menu -> Folder Options, then File Types tab. I clicked to Edit the BYOND Link file type and unchecked "Confirm open after download." Much better.
In response to Tom
Not greyed out, but when I check it it doesn't do anything..
In response to Air Mapster
That works with Win98 SE too!
In response to Tom
Mine has it grayed out.
Both Netscape 4.78 and Mozilla 0.9.8 give me a popup box. Both also allow me to uncheck the option.

PS: Just got Mozilla. Man is it wierd seeing IE-looking pages in a Netscapey environment.
Tom wrote:
I need to get some datapoints. When you "join" a game through the hub (either with the "run", "login", or "join" links), does it automatically launch DS, or does it popup a box asking for confirmation? It's supposed to do everything automatically, but I've noticed that on one of my machines (running IE 5.5 and Netscape 5.x) it gives the annoying popup and doesn't even allow me to override it. (the override is grayed out). Is anyone else having this problem? I won't investigate further if I'm the only anomally.

I too get this and I am running in IE 5.5

It asks if I would like to join suchabody in suchagame with a yes and no button but I never cared to look into this or see if there was a check box as I thought you and Dan made this.

Guess I was wrong.

Lee
In response to Mellifluous
I have been getting a '
Do you wish to:
( ) Save this file
( ) Open the file with DreamSeeker

kind of box when joing a game using Opera 6.0, but I used the 'Advanced' button to change the browser to always open .dms files with DS automatically. Now I do not get the 'downloads' box anymore.

I think this is something that is best fixed with the browsers, instead of changing BYOND.
In response to digitalmouse
digitalmouse wrote:
[snip]
I think this is something that is best fixed with the browsers, instead of changing BYOND.

I agree. It's a browser security feature. Personally, I WANT boxes to pop up by default. I am curious about access not being allowed to the checkbox for some people though.
In response to Mellifluous
Sounds like you're talking about the follow-the-leader in DS, they were talking about the join links on the hub page.