ID:137132

Beta #40 (notes)

More fixes.
All is well now, except that one longstanding display bug (which is more of an irritant than anything else). I'd say everything else looks pretty good.

Out of curiosity, I'm wondering if there's any way to find out which exact version a client is running when it connects. The reason I ask is that any time I run a test of Incursion, inevitably I get people logging in with 306 or a very old beta. Because Incursion has so consistently pushed the limits of every version (read: exposed bugs), people using older betas and 306 have managed to screw up some runs of the game. I'd like to be able to use code like this:
// where byond_version is like 311.701 or such
if(client.byond_version<world.byond_version)
src << "This world requires you to use BYOND version [world.byond_version_name] or higher."
del(src)

Lummox JR
Tom wrote:
Beta #40 (notes)

More fixes.

Lets take this to creations ;)

Stealth2k....BWHAHA..dont mind me :)

[Edit]
I just downloaded the new version and I put it in my exe folder, and I just noticed I have 3 .exe updates of byond :) lol.
In response to Lummox JR
I thought there was a command to have it check each persons client and if it wasn't the same as the server it would display what version you needed, just me though...

maybe check out

DM_VERSION macro?

Just trying to help :)
In response to Jon Snow
Jon Snow wrote:
I thought there was a command to have it check each persons client and if it wasn't the same as the server it would display what version you needed, just me though...

maybe check out

DM_VERSION macro?

That's just for the compiler, though. It won't help figure out which versions the clients are running.

Lummox JR

The bug fix involving turning on the map (Foomer) is not acutally fixed in this release. I messed up and didn't include the fix in my patch. It'll be fixed in the next one.

--Dan
In response to Lummox JR
I too could take advantage of something like this-people with 306 are causing problems in my game that is compiled with the latest beta as well.
In response to Lummox JR
I second that...

I'd also like code that automatically tells people no, 306 is not the latest beta version, yes, there is a patch out they don't have, and yes, there is too a link on the downloads page that says Beta Test, and yes, all of the nightvision problems they're reporting will go away if they click the *&^@ing link.

(Venting? Who, me? Noooooo....)
In response to SilkWizard
SilkWizard wrote:
I too could take advantage of something like this-people with 306 are causing problems in my game that is compiled with the latest beta as well.

We are considering just setting the backwards-incompatibility flags once this new version goes public, so older clients connecting to a new server would be rejected automatically. However, it would be good to have client.byond_version anyway, since we've got world.byond_version for a similar purpose.

--Dan
In response to Dan
Dan wrote:
We are considering just setting the backwards-incompatibility flags once this new version goes public, so older clients connecting to a new server would be rejected automatically. However, it would be good to have client.byond_version anyway, since we've got world.byond_version for a similar purpose.

I think this is a good idea anyway, so people can compare even beta versions. Even something as simple as a client 2 versions behind after some major bug fix can cause big problems for a game.

For example: On the January 31 test run of Incursion, back when the game startup was significantly worse and had to send resources out to players during startup, one player who had an old version of DS was consistently told he should upgrade; his old client was causing the game start to hang. He didn't quite catch on right away that he was part of the problem. (I'm convinced a few of the other logins, the random DBZer crowd who just join any game they see on the hub, were using older versions too.) There were a few more glitches and everything was restarted; he was back before the next game began, with an upgraded version, and this time it all went fine. The whole problem could have been avoided by just pitching people back out with a message telling them to upgrade first. With others I get a lot of "I can't see the map" or such.

I don't need strict "It must be at least as good as the compiled version" control; just some fine control where I could restrict people past a certain point. Like for example, I'm pretty sure b38 or b39 would have worked fairly well for anyone playing yesterday, even though I compiled in b40. (If byond_version was a number like 311.825, it'd be hard to tell which beta was which, but I think this could be managed.)

One nice way to deal with the problem right now is that client.byond_version could be null for older clients that don't have its support. I'm not sure exactly how the version would be communicated to the server, but this is all probably doable. If it's doable by the next beta (or full release), all the better.

Lummox JR
In response to Stealth 2k
That's all, I think I still have 306 betas, and all of the 307 betas. (Now, you know where my D: drive went)