ID:137656

I updated the forum a bit more, based on some recent suggestions (Note: no more suggestions!)

* The forum now supresses some bothersome HTML tags, like , , , etc. You can still set your fonts and colors and such, but abuse that and that feature will be vanquished too! (Air Mapster)

* As a nice side effect of this feature, you can now post code like:
#include
without having to futz with the tags.

* Use the new <DM> and </DM> tags to surround long blocks of code that may contain embedded HTML.

* In the upper-right corner of each post is an id that you can use to refer to this post at a later date. Just type the id, and a link will be auto generated. Eg: general.6427. You can also put "id=forum.id", as one of the arguments in the location bar (eg: http://www.byond.com/forum/forum.cgi?id=general.6427) to jump directly to that post. (Gughunter)

I'll add in some of those forum search features for the next go-round.
Tom wrote:
I updated the forum a bit more, based on some recent suggestions (Note: no more suggestions!)

* The forum now supresses some bothersome HTML tags, like <table>, , <marquee>, etc. You can still set your fonts and colors and such, but abuse that and that feature will be vanquished too! (Air Mapster)

Hehe, at first I thought you were warning Air Mapster about using those tags. Hee.

Edit: Blast! I can't use <em> [edit by Dantom-- heh] tags anymore! Oh, fiddlesworth. Ah well. I'll just have to do less typing and type i in there. Fleh!

* In the upper-right corner of each post is an id that you can use to refer to this post at a later date. Just type the id, and a link will be auto generated. Eg: [link]. You can also put "id=forum.id", as one of the arguments in the location bar (eg: http://www.byond.com/forum/forum.cgi?id=[link]) to jump directly to that post. (Gughunter)

Very nifty. I've been wanting that for a while. Now, it's easier to see which post came first.

Forum search features as in.. search all forums at once? If so, that'll be very nifty. I hate having to press back and switching the pulldown box.

Are you going to update the Help documentation?
Tom wrote:

* The forum now supresses some bothersome HTML tags, like <table>, , <marquee>, etc. You can still set your fonts and colors and such, but abuse that and that feature will be vanquished too! (Air Mapster)

* As a nice side effect of this feature, you can now post code like:
#include <stddef.dm>
without having to futz with the tags.

* Use the new <DM> and </DM> tags to surround long blocks of code that may contain embedded HTML.

* In the upper-right corner of each post is an id that you can use to refer to this post at a later date. Just type the id, and a link will be auto generated. Eg: [link]. You can also put "id=forum.id", as one of the arguments in the location bar (eg: http://www.byond.com/forum/forum.cgi?id=[link]) to jump directly to that post. (Gughunter)

Love it! Especially the referring to posts via a number

Thanks !

Alathon
In response to Vortezz
Vortezz wrote:

Edit: Blast! I can't use <em> tags anymore! Oh, fiddlesworth. Ah well. I'll just have to do less typing and type i in there. Fleh!

You can now! And <strong> too. We're probably missing some no-brainers too. I mainly wanted to get rid of the frame and table "support".
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
Vortezz wrote:

Edit: Blast! I can't use <em> tags anymore! Oh, fiddlesworth. Ah well. I'll just have to do less typing and type i in there. Fleh!

You can now! And <strong> too. We're probably missing some no-brainers too. I mainly wanted to get rid of the frame and table "support".

*breathes heavily*

Ack! I almost had a heart-attack from <em> withdrawl.

Thanks!
it would be nice if it was possible to turn the background of a >dm< tags code white. Making the text black, and the background white, and when you typed new, del, proc, verb, and var, it would show up as blue, and text would be green, and a variable [] inside the text would be a darker green, just like the DM font color format while coding in a DM file.

especially dont forget that inside the >DM< tags, take out all use of >font< tags so that if someone wanted to post a code from a game that changes the color of the text within the code, you would be able to see the >font color=blah< tag inside the code. get what i mean?
In response to Vortezz
Vortezz wrote:
Tom wrote:
Vortezz wrote:

*breathes heavily*

Thanks!

what the hell is em? and strong?
In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
Vortezz wrote:
Tom wrote:
Vortezz wrote:

*breathes heavily*

Thanks!

what the hell is em? and strong?

<em>
<strong>
In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
it would be nice if it was possible to turn the background of a >dm< tags code white. Making the text black, and the background white, and when you typed new, del, proc, verb, and var, it would show up as blue, and text would be green, and a variable [] inside the text would be a darker green, just like the DM font color format while coding in a DM file.

Nice idea! The full-on formatting would be a bit tricky, but changing the background and maybe doing a couple of little reformats shouldn't be much work. Then again, this is venturing <big>BIG</big>-time into the very evil luxury feature creep zone. Bleh.

How about having Tab return three (however much) spaces, if there is an above <DM> tag?
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
FIREking wrote:

Nice idea! The full-on formatting would be a bit tricky, but changing the background and maybe doing a couple of little reformats shouldn't be much work. Then again, this is venturing <big>BIG</big>-time into the very evil luxury feature creep zone. Bleh.

you didnt forget to show the font tags, and all other html tags inside the dm tags did you?

and by the way, is that a yes on my idea?
it would be nice to be able to show code in its original format making it look more familiar to the other coders.
the colors format make the DM lang easier to look at.
In response to Vortezz
Vortezz wrote:

How about having Tab return three (however much) spaces, if there is an above <DM> tag?

or by pressing the tab key, giving you 4 spaces, just like in DM. That would be SO awesome, and would make it easier to type code from scratch into the forum. TAB KEY ALL THE WAY!!
In response to FIREking
I do have one major protest:

The suspension of the tag. I like images, and like to use them every once in ahwile, and I have not seen them abused yet.

(I don't know what kind of BB experience you have had, Tom. However, from what I've seen here, images are used sparingly. In some forums, the tag is used all of the time, in sigs, and huge pics are displayed OVER AND OVER again.

That dosn't happen here!

In response to Alathon
Love it! Especially the referring to posts via a number

I am not a number! I am a human being!

(Tangentally related sidenote- Prisoner, The Movie is currently under development... this will make Prisoner the first BBC series to have its own GURPS supplement, Simpsons episode, movie, and breakfast cereal... well, not so much the breakfast series, but Sugar Frosted Number 6-Os would be quite tasty.)
In response to LexyBitch
LexyBitch wrote:

(Tangentally related sidenote- Prisoner, The Movie is currently under development... this will make Prisoner the first BBC series to have its own GURPS supplement, Simpsons episode, movie, and breakfast cereal... well, not so much the breakfast series, but Sugar Frosted Number 6-Os would be quite tasty.)

I'm trying to get Guy to check out the Prisoner DVDs, so he'll get the references in L&D.
In response to Deadron
Deadron wrote:
LexyBitch wrote:

I'm trying to get Guy to check out the Prisoner DVDs, so he'll get the references in L&D.

Just get him to watch the Simpsons episode. You can absorb a lot of culture that way.

(Tangentally related sidenote number 2, which feels compelled to point out that it is a sidenote, and not a number... while on the subject of British genre television, also under development is a new BBC series called Ripper, which will be the third series set in Joss Whedon's Buffiverse continuity, and will focus on the activities of Rupert "the Ripper" Giles in England.)
In response to LexyBitch
LexyBitch wrote:

Just get him to watch the Simpsons episode. You can absorb a lot of culture that way.

I actually thought the Simpsons episode was weak. I coulda thought of funnier stuff.
In response to Deadron
Deadron wrote:
LexyBitch wrote:

I actually thought the Simpsons episode was weak. I coulda thought of funnier stuff.

I believe they were operating on the assumption that less than 3% of their audience would get the jokes anyway, so they didn't bother trying too hard. Plus, the first half of the episode was all about Homer's website... they didn't have much time to develop the island theme.
BYOND Poll doesn't work in the forum anymore. Could you return the form tags to the forums? :)
In response to Shadowdarke
I'm not sure everyone would want this. Maybe we should take a quick poll... er... um... nevermind.
Page: 1 2