ID:137716

I'm in the processing of upgrading the forum to handle a larger volume of posts. The current setup should suffice for a while, but once we have 100K posts or so it may begin to perform sluggishly, so I figured I'd better attend to that now.

At any rate, in the course of doing this I attended to a few previously requested features. You can now set your time-zone and also configure the default action when you click on a message (Air Mapster). Check these options out in the Preferences menu. Also, the pages should reload more quickly in topic view by using embedded topics (I forget who suggested this, but good call).

I've also added some admin features, so expect offensive or inappropriate topics to be dealt with more expediently now.
Tom wrote:
I'm in the processing of upgrading the forum to handle a larger volume of posts. The current setup should suffice for a while, but once we have 100K posts or so it may begin to perform sluggishly, so I figured I'd better attend to that now.

At any rate, in the course of doing this I attended to a few previously requested features. You can now set your time-zone and also configure the default action when you click on a message (Air Mapster). Check these options out in the Preferences menu. Also, the pages should reload more quickly in topic view by using embedded topics (I forget who suggested this, but good call).

I've also added some admin features, so expect offensive or inappropriate topics to be dealt with more expediently now.

Kewl. Do you think you could add the ability to use custom signatures too?
In response to Ebonshadow
Ebonshadow wrote:

If so, Tom will need to put his address in his signature so I can hunt him down and kill him for doing it.
In response to Deadron
Deadron wrote:
Ebonshadow wrote:

If so, Tom will need to put his address in his signature so I can hunt him down and kill him for doing it.

LOL, why? I see a lot of people trying to do signatures. Like spuzzum has that little flag thing that he puts on some of his posts. Ofcourse it can easily turn into a problem, but he said he added some more admin features.
Tom wrote:

Sounds great, I like the new green box(thread view only?) too... One slight request. Any way of making "All" one of the forum search options? I mean, if it's not too hard to implement... Don't think it would be.

When I have a newbie problem with DM(I get a lot of those), and want to find an answer, I usualy search the newbie board and then the code problems board... And it'd just save me a lot of time if I could search all of the boards at once.
In response to Zagreus
I like the new green box(thread view only?) too...

It means you're reading a message you haven't read before. The first time I noticed it I thought my browser messed up. After seeing a couple, but not on all posts, I thought the forum was messed up and very nearly posted a bug report before noticing what they actually do.

One slight request. Any way of making "All" one of the forum search options? I mean, if it's not too hard to implement... Don't think it would be.

I second that. I don't search the forums often, but it would make things much easier when I do.

-AbyssDragon
In response to AbyssDragon
AbyssDragon wrote:
I like the new green box(thread view only?) too...

It means you're reading a message you haven't read before. The first time I noticed it I thought my browser messed up. After seeing a couple, but not on all posts, I thought the forum was messed up and very nearly posted a bug report before noticing what they actually do.

That's right. Tell me if it's ugly or confusing, because admittedly the green box is only really useful in "show all mode". It was just easier and more consistent to do things this way.

One slight request. Any way of making "All" one of the forum search options? I mean, if it's not too hard to implement... Don't think it would be.

That's coming soon. The search will also be pretty much instantaneous. Stay tuned!
I think you should have a [More info...] link at the end of each forum description that explains in much more detail which forum is dedicated to which topic.

I could change my FAQ-entry-that-Deadron-didn't-add-because-I-must-have-sounde d-too-grumpy ("Which forum should I post this message in?") to one that sounds a lot friendlier and send that to you, if you want...
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:
I could change my FAQ-entry-that-Deadron-didn't-add-because-I-must-have-sounde d-too-grumpy ("Which forum should I post this message in?") to one that sounds a lot friendlier and send that to you, if you want...

Nah it just seemed like the FAQ was too removed from the forum for that.

For what's it's worth, I don't think people would read that info in the FAQ or in More Info link so I'm not sure it matters...
Tom wrote:
You can now set your time-zone and also configure the default action when you click on a message (Air Mapster).

Nice job as always! After a few days of using this, I don't think it's quite what I had in mind. I have it set to display unread messages by default. Works great when there are actual unread messages in the thread - I see exactly what I wanted to see. But when the thread is all read, it shows me all messages. I'd rather default to the single message clicked in that case.

In other words, for this particular setting, I would prefer:

• If an unread message was clicked, show all unread messages in the thread.
  • If a read message was clicked, show just that one message.

But as always, no biggie, don't kill yourself doing this on account of me. I can deal.

[Edit]
    Oh, I see it moves me to the appropriate message using <a name> tags. Didn't seem like it was doing that before, but maybe I wasn't paying attention...

Aha! Sometimes the link has the #6060 part to move you there, sometimes it doesn't. So I think either putting that in for every case or displaying only the one message would keep me happy. If you decide to worry about it...
In response to Deadron
Deadron wrote:
Spuzzum wrote:

Nah it just seemed like the FAQ was too removed from the forum for that.

For what's it's worth, I don't think people would read that info in the FAQ or in More Info link so I'm not sure it matters...

You could have an "I agree" page for first time members which makes them agree on what that forum is for before entering it. More annoying, but still more likely to get read than anything that's not deliberately shoved in their face.
Ebonshadow wrote:
Deadron wrote:
Ebonshadow wrote:

LOL, why? I see a lot of people trying to do signatures. Like spuzzum has that little flag thing that he puts on some of his posts. Ofcourse it can easily turn into a problem, but he said he added some more admin features.

But signatures are kewl! (slightly sarcastic)
<CENTER>
<FONT COLOR=silver>
=====================================
*******>>></FONT><FONT COLOR=cyan>All Bow to FOOMER!</FONT><FONT COLOR=silver><<<******
<FONT COLOR=red>...Gawd of Something or Another...</FONT><FONT COLOR=silver><<<
=====================================
<FONT COLOR=grey>3=/\/\ail /\/\e At |||<FONT COLOR=red>foomer@chunky_salsa.net</FONT>|||
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR=silver>...This is not, my real e-mail....</FONT>

<FONT COLOR=blue>PS: Foomer rocks!</FONT>
</CENTER>
In response to Foomer
Most of the places I hang havbe UBB bulletin boards. Those always allow sigs. Do you know what happens?

You click on a thread.
You wait 2 minutes.
It's done loading.
You read it.

Do you know why it takes so long? People have these monster pics that they display on the page!

VEGITA BIG PICTURE REALLY COOL DBZ STUFF!!!
In response to Lord of Water
Lord of Water wrote:
Most of the places I hang havbe UBB bulletin boards. Those always allow sigs. Do you know what happens?

You click on a thread.
You wait 2 minutes.
It's done loading.
You read it.

Do you know why it takes so long? People have these monster pics that they display on the page!

Really? I own a UBB. I have a few friends moderate it. It loads fine. No people with big sigs. Know why? Cuz we got 3 moderators.
Ebonshadow wrote:
Lord of Water wrote:

You click on a thread.
You wait 2 minutes.
It's done loading.
You read it.

Really? I own a UBB. I have a few friends moderate it. It loads fine. No people with big sigs. Know why? Cuz we got 3 moderators.

You probably don't have a bunch of morons hanging around your forums eager to disrupt things either.
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
Ebonshadow wrote:
Lord of Water wrote:

You click on a thread.
You wait 2 minutes.
It's done loading.
You read it.

You probably don't have a bunch of morons hanging around your forums eager to disrupt things either.

Ive got plenty. Weve had more spammers on our forums then dantom has. I cant remember ever seeing a spammer here.
I cant remember ever seeing a spammer here.

We had a couple back in DUNG days, when the forum didn't require registration to use.
But I suppose, technically that's not "here".

-AbyssDragon
In response to Air Mapster
Air Mapster wrote:

• That makes sense. I tweaked the forum to do things this way. Let me know if anything is unsatisfactory.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
Air Mapster wrote:

• That makes sense. I tweaked the forum to do things this way. Let me know if anything is unsatisfactory.

Hmm, here's something weird. Say there's one unread message in a thread, and in Thread View, it's in the middle of the entire thread listing somewhere. When I read that message, down below in the thread listing the font color of every Date/Author below it is black. Most likely a Netscape only problem, but weird. If I reload the page (so the message is now read), everything is ok.

It looks like when the message is unread, you use a CSS class in the <a href> tag to make it green. But when it's read, you just use <font size=+1> and <b>. Only difference I see is that in the unread case, the closing </font> is still there, maybe that's screwing up NS.

Anyway, hopefully this example will help illustrate what it looks like:

<link href=forum.css rel=stylesheet><font color=6060cc>My Combat System</font> Alathon (8/10/01 4:18 pm)
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<font color=6060cc>Re: My Combat System</font> Shadowdarke (8/10/01 4:51 pm)
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;& amp;nbsp;&nbsp;<font color=00cc60>Re: My Combat System</font> Deadron (8/10/01 5:24 pm)
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<font color=6060cc>Re: My Combat System</font> <font color=black>Lord of Water (8/10/01 4:28 pm)</font>
In response to Air Mapster
Air Mapster wrote:

Hmm, here's something weird. [snip]

Oops. Try it now.
Page: 1 2