In response to Tom
On 6/11/01 4:28 pm Tom wrote:
On 6/11/01 4:24 pm Zilal wrote:
Having posts aligned as they are for BYOND is a luxury I don't need, and I prefer the simpler take above.

You know about "Message View" right? That sounds like what they've got in GS. I use it, myself. You can make it a permanent setting in the preferences if you haven't already.

I love message view, but I wish it clearly marked the new messages that I hadn't read before. That way I could scroll down the list until I saw a green spot.

I like the new threaded view, Tom. Too bad I didn't know about the "viewed" list wipe. I glanced back several times today and saw no green, so I thought I had read it all... boy was I wrong ;)
In response to Tom
On 6/11/01 4:28 pm Tom wrote:
You know about "Message View" right? That sounds like what they've got in GS. I use it, myself. You can make it a permanent setting in the preferences if you haven't already.

If I did that, I couldn't complain anymore.

Z
In response to Zilal
If I did that, I couldn't complain anymore.

I despise boards like that even more than I despise topic view (which, I'm sorry to say, I'm using right now.).

Ugh.
In response to Shadowdarke
On 6/11/01 7:32 pm Shadowdarke wrote:

I love message view, but I wish it clearly marked the new messages that I hadn't read before. That way I could scroll down the list until I saw a green spot.

I'm not following you. The unread messages should appear in green regardless of the view type. This isn't working?
In response to Tom
On 6/11/01 8:24 pm Tom wrote:
On 6/11/01 7:32 pm Shadowdarke wrote:

I'm not following you. The unread messages should appear in green regardless of the view type. This isn't working?

The topic list shows green for unread, but when I click one and go into the message view, there is nothing that makes new messages stand out from the ones I've already read.
In response to Shadowdarke
On 6/11/01 8:31 pm Shadowdarke wrote:

The topic list shows green for unread, but when I click one and go into the message view, there is nothing that makes new messages stand out from the ones I've already read.

Oh, you mean topic view (yeah, yeah, the names suck). That is different. Oh, okay, I can make the individual unmarked messages stand out. Good call.
In response to Tom
On 6/11/01 8:33 pm Tom wrote:

Oh, you mean topic view (yeah, yeah, the names suck). That is different. Oh, okay, I can make the individual unmarked messages stand out. Good call.

BTW, this should now work properly.
In response to Tom
On 6/12/01 12:18 am Tom wrote:
On 6/11/01 8:33 pm Tom wrote:

BTW, this should now work properly.

Great glowing green boxes, Batman! It works great. :)
In response to Tom
On 6/11/01 6:43 pm Tom wrote:
On 6/11/01 6:34 pm LexyBitch wrote:
Put the content of the message inside a table! Single cell, with a fixed width... or some other fancy-schmancy formatting trick that makes it so the width of the messages is constant, regardless of the width of the threads.

Right, I could probably prevent the messages themselves from extending past the screen (although it currently does involve a number of fixed width tables and it's still not doing the trick .. _and_ I don't feel like delving back into the miserable world of html, if you want to know the truth :).

I think the problem is that there's no way to specify that the table should be 100% of the width of the viewport, not the window, which may be wider due to mega-nested-thread-listing at the bottom. You could probably hack together some javascript to check it, but it obviously doesn't work on non-javascript browsers, and it's not worth the effort. Otherwise, you have to hardcode the width, so then the question becomes, what is reasonable? 600 pixels? Probably too wide for the poor saps using 640x480, but pitifully too small for the 1600x1200 folks. You just can't win...

And for anyone who hates the general layout of the message when viewing it (not to be confused with Message View), I think I'm the one to blame for that... ;-)
In response to Air Mapster
I think the problem is that there's no way to specify that the table should be 100% of the width of the viewport, not the window, which may be wider due to mega-nested-thread-listing at the bottom. You could probably hack together some javascript to check it, but it obviously doesn't work on non-javascript browsers, and it's not worth the effort. Otherwise, you have to hardcode the width, so then the question becomes, what is reasonable? 600 pixels? Probably too wide for the poor saps using 640x480, but pitifully too small for the 1600x1200 folks. You just can't win...

That's why I like using percentages in my tables. If I want a table to fill the whole screen, I just set its width to 100% and presto.
Page: 1 2