ID:137939

I mentioned this on the main page as well:

If you have 290 installed, you may get a crash immediately upon upgrading to this release. That's the main reason for this patch-- it fixes that crash (and other similar results from the hub). If this happens, don't panic! The next time you startup DS and click on the "upgrade" link the new version should install correctly. If you continue to experience problems, you can go to the download page and grab the upgrade that way. Sorry for the hassle.
Thanks for the library example functionality -- that's something I've been dealing with a lot (and I suspect you might have thought of it from me sending the dreaded crashing .dme project!) While complete demos should be given their own hub entry, most libraries probably should provide a bit of sample code right there that people can copy and paste from.

I'm looking forward to it, but I have a couple of questions:

- Does the example (or can it be made to) only run on first install? No one is likely to want to see the demo on upgrades.

- What happens with cascading libraries? The eventual BaseCamp library is likely to be an umbrella for four or five sub-libraries, each of which will have a little example along with them. Would the user in this case get hit with 5 demos being run or something on install?
The next time you startup DS and click on the "upgrade" link the new version should install correctly. If you continue to experience problems, you can go to the download page and grab the upgrade that way. Sorry for the hassle.

For the record, after the first crash, I restarted DS, it downloaded the whole file again, and crashed again, and still reported 290. The download from the page, however, worked fine.

Now if I can just remember to set it up for my folks when I visit Wednesday... :)

In response to Gughunter
On 6/4/01 5:00 pm Gughunter wrote:

For the record, after the first crash, I restarted DS, it downloaded the whole file again, and crashed again, and still reported 290. The download from the page, however, worked fine.

Ah dang. I was thinking about this whilst drifting into a slumber and I realized it was possible. I made a major boo-boo in the 290 release, but hopefully it won't hamper people too much. Note that only people upgrading from 290 will have troubles-- versions below that should provide a clean upgrade, since the bug was introduced afterwards.

To verify that the fix works, you might try downloading a library or two from the hub. It uses the same process that upgrades the DS version.

I'd like to hear other testimonials from anyone daring to upgrade.
In response to Tom
On 6/4/01 5:29 pm Tom wrote:
I'd like to hear other testimonials from anyone daring to upgrade.

My attempt to upgrade went like Guy's: crash bang boom.

Now downloading the manual update.